DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1680 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's another beta build with a few small changes:

• Automatic reload of main window when certain settings are changed, negating the requirement to restart DBGL;
  • Improved default template for 'Tandy 2500SX' to use machine=vgaonly and tandy=on instead of machine=tandy (Neville)

All the latest files. To upgrade, just update dbgl.jar.

Ronald

Reply 1681 of 1968, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello rcblanke. Thanks for such a great program. 😀 It's been a while since I've added new games to DBGL and it's no longer letting me access Mobygames. Is Mobygames still accessible or is it now being blocked?

Thanks!
😀

Reply 1684 of 1968, by DOStopic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2021-05-12, 12:45:
Here's another beta build with a few small changes: […]
Show full quote

Here's another beta build with a few small changes:

• Automatic reload of main window when certain settings are changed, negating the requirement to restart DBGL;
  • Improved default template for 'Tandy 2500SX' to use machine=vgaonly and tandy=on instead of machine=tandy (Neville)

Ronald

Hi, Ronald!
I've the 0.93 beta 9 version (Windows 10) but when I update the dbgl.jar (0.94 beta 2) the program won't start. Double-clicking the icon, nothing happens!
My fault?

Reply 1688 of 1968, by mirko182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Roland
Downloaded dbgl094beta2.tar.gz from https://dbgl.org/beta/ for my linux machine and got error on start. Jar from win version?

2021-06-24_16-32.png
Filename
2021-06-24_16-32.png
File size
131.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1689 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the heads up mirko182, I was already aware -- beta5:

• Fixed startup crash on Linux and MacOS systems (regression in beta1);
  • Fixed setting focus on tab in case of field validation error (regression in beta1);
  • Fixed 'conflicting values'-detection when multi-editing (regression in 0.93);
  • Fixed possible nullpointerexception when using dosbox.conf with unexpected configuration values (Peter);
  • Implemented eXo importer, improvements to converter.

Ronald

Reply 1692 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you mean Arklay, I do not understand your question?

Just a quick heads-up to inform you guys and girls that I have updated the main website at dbgl.org to provide for a better browsing experience on mobile devices. Expect more updates in the coming days.

Reply 1693 of 1968, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2021-07-14, 16:30:

What do you mean Arklay, I do not understand your question?

Just a quick heads-up to inform you guys and girls that I have updated the main website at dbgl.org to provide for a better browsing experience on mobile devices. Expect more updates in the coming days.

pm sent

Reply 1694 of 1968, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Ronald, just wanted to say thank you very much for all your hard work on DBGL, it's great to just drop on my modern boxes and have an instant DOS game fix, no hassle. I particularly appreciate that it has the same interface between multi versions of windows and linux, so it's all works the same on multiple platforms.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1696 of 1968, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there!

the last couple of months i was quite busy and had no time to play good old dos games via dbgl. but now i want to start over again. i have an older installation of dbgl v0.93 on my drive which i combined with dosbox ece last year. it's running great, shaders and roland sound are working perfectly. but now i decided to start over again from scratch and downloaded the newest versions of dbgl & dosbox ece.

and here i need to ask for your help please - to use roland sound (or mt32 or cm32l roms) in the older 0.93 version of dbgl i click "edit profile" of any compatible game, after that i click "audio" and under "midi device" i have many choices: alsa - default - coreaudio - coremidi - none - oss - win32 - fluidsynth - mt32 - synth - timidity -> 11 options in total. so i choose "mt32" for wing commander for example and it works.

when i now want to do the same with newest dbgl 0.94.5 and newest dosbox ece under "audio" i can see: alsa - default - coreaudio - coremidi - none - oss - win32 -> only 7 options in total.

how do i add / activate the missing options like mt32 & fluidsynth in that audio dropbox? did i forget something in the general configuration of dgbl?

EDIT: Found it. In the EDIT-Tab of DOSBox ECE i manually added "mt32" in "device"-field. it is working now 😀

Reply 1697 of 1968, by LewisWoolridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Ronald - I'm upgrading from .82 to .93 on MacOS and I've run into the loss of portability issue.

To resolve you suggested to "edit the startup script ./dbgl, and simply remove -Ddbgl.data.userhome=true on the last line."

The problem is I can't seem to locate the startup script. A folder called "dbgl" was created in my ~/Library folder, but this script doesn't appear to be in there, nor can I locate a ./dbgl hidden folder in my home folder's root or the system root.

Please advise. Thanks!

Reply 1698 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi LewisWoolridge,

I'm upgrading from .82 to .93 on MacOS and I've run into the loss of portability issue.

What do you mean exactly? If you're only using DBGL on your Mac, you should be good (and safe with regards to your DBGL data) using the default settings.

To answer your question about the startup script:
Open Finder and browse to Applications. Right click on DBGL.app and choose 'Show Package Contents'. You will find the dbgl startup script in the subdirectory

Contents/MacOS

But please take note that updating older DBGL versions on MacOS can be a bit tricky. Older DBGL versions stored (game) data inside the DBGL.app directory structure. This could mean that whenever you trashed DBGL.app from your Applications list to install a newer version, you could accidentally also have trashed all its (game) data. That's why I opted to use ~/Library/dbgl for data instead (since DBGL version 0.93). That way, you can safely trash DBGL.app to put a new version in place without touching your data.

You can find more details about the upgrade process on the DBGL website, section 'Upgrading from an earlier version'.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need more help.

Reply 1699 of 1968, by LewisWoolridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply!

I need my installation to be portable for two reasons 1) My dosroot is more than 1TB and will not fit on my system drive, and 2) I use DBGL on more than one Mac (and also through a Windows VM with some minor tweaks). Additionally, I also want it to be portable because 1) that frees DBGL from my OS and future upgrades and new computers, etc., and 2) portable is tidier in general.

I found the script and edited the home folders to false on both lines. DBGL launches fine with no games in it and doesn't spawn a DBGL folder into my ~/Library folder.

I then copied /captures /profiles /dosroot /template /xsl from my .82 install into the DBGL package. And then copied my database.properties and database.script from my .82 install in the /db folder.

When I launch I get this error:

There was a problem initializing the database connection!

Technical information:
Database query "create initial tables" failed!

Please advise. Thanks again for your help!