Topic actions

Reply 39580 of 52727, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-06-23, 20:12:

It doesn't look too bad.

If I'd just got that new, I'd derate it to ~250W, I'd prefer to see extruded sinks for 3ooW+

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39583 of 52727, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-23, 21:49:
Warlord wrote on 2021-06-23, 20:12:

It doesn't look too bad.

If I'd just got that new, I'd derate it to ~250W, I'd prefer to see extruded sinks for 3ooW+

Ya you're right. New it was probably closer to 250w old its 200w. It tested fine btw. It looks about right for psus of that vintage though considering. It's single rail so it's plenty strong enough for like a p3 it's actually not that bad for a oem type psu for back then

Reply 39584 of 52727, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maestro wrote on 2021-06-23, 23:19:

appolo = stars.aligned ? chariot : space shuttle;
(expression ? true : false)

I was just being funny. But it really should have a full stacked Saturn V on it or even a LEM that would of been cool too.

Reply 39587 of 52727, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-24, 02:34:

I was just being funny. But it really should have a full stacked Saturn V on it or even a LEM that would of been cool too.

I was trying to be funny too, and not at your expense. A Venera lander might've been cool too, Russian Venus missions, durable soviet hardware.

Warlord wrote on 2021-06-24, 03:19:

Apollo 1 caught on fire, so maybe its a bad omen.

Bad omen is what I meant by 'stars.aligned'. Great minds, cheers brutha!

Uhh ... I scored this from a parts machine a few weeks ago. The model number is K-659.

DSCF9091.JPG
Filename
DSCF9091.JPG
File size
78.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Oh ah ... yes it is.

Reply 39589 of 52727, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't mind, please post the board dimensions, LED display dimensions (digit height is fine), and mounting hole dimensions in my 'fabricating a new turbo display' thread so we can duplicate the board pattern to make some clones.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 39590 of 52727, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quite handy usb/scsi adapter, a little 50 pins to 25pins converter and a Firewire Compact Flash reader.

20210624_200011_1.jpg
Filename
20210624_200011_1.jpg
File size
144.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's USB1.1, quite slow but good enough for the few SCSI devices I have.

20210624_195758_1.jpg
Filename
20210624_195758_1.jpg
File size
80.15 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 39591 of 52727, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MCGA wrote on 2021-06-23, 21:23:
brostenen wrote on 2021-06-22, 07:53:
MCGA wrote on 2021-06-21, 20:33:
I have that case, bought it new for about 130 bucks. It will probably be my case for decades to come. […]
Show full quote

I have that case, bought it new for about 130 bucks. It will probably be my case for decades to come.

The red is a mod. The front grill comes out easily for cleaning, so it's not hard to paint just it. And they covered the MOST beautiful Corsair badge.

Both of the 5.25" bays are still covered on my case.

This case reminded me of the SGI Onyx cases, which is why I wanted it. Anyways, I'm planning on putting wood paneling on the front right site, or painted parts of mine beige.

Anyways, great case IMO. It has a ton of expansion and air flow.

Yup. The more I look at it, the more I love it. And it it a case with great expandability. I too can see the design of old Unix systems in this. However it looks more like cray and vax in one to me. Does not matter if it is modded. It will house a Commodore64 anyway. And for that small amount that I paid for it, then the lack of the corsair badge does not matter. I might look around for a C64 case badge. To see if they are avaliable somewere.

When I read ATX 64, I thought AMD! A giant case for an awesome project. =D I'm still looking for a Commodore 64. They're rare in my area and I'm always looking. : |

Hehe.... It is because we automatically couple the number 64 with Amd, when we hear the term ATX. 😉

True C64's can be really rare in some parts of the world. They are fun little machines though.
And because original machines are so rare in some places, then it is awesomme that you can build one your self.
Like my ATX64 that are nearly completed now. Or you can build a SixtyClone or something else.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 39592 of 52727, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-06-24, 18:40:
Hehe.... It is because we automatically couple the number 64 with Amd, when we hear the term ATX. ;-) […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote on 2021-06-22, 07:53:

Yup. The more I look at it, the more I love it. And it it a case with great expandability. I too can see the design of old Unix systems in this. However it looks more like cray and vax in one to me. Does not matter if it is modded. It will house a Commodore64 anyway. And for that small amount that I paid for it, then the lack of the corsair badge does not matter. I might look around for a C64 case badge. To see if they are avaliable somewere.

When I read ATX 64, I thought AMD! A giant case for an awesome project. =D I'm still looking for a Commodore 64. They're rare in my area and I'm always looking. : |

Hehe.... It is because we automatically couple the number 64 with Amd, when we hear the term ATX. 😉

True C64's can be really rare in some parts of the world. They are fun little machines though.
And because original machines are so rare in some places, then it is awesomme that you can build one your self.
Like my ATX64 that are nearly completed now. Or you can build a SixtyClone or something else.

Thanks to my brother, most of my eighties was spent on a SX-64 and then a C64c. He sold them and gave me his XT to use when he bought a 486 DX 25, which then sent me down the PC path.

I look every day for a C64 on Craigslist and the closest one is about 11 hours away at eBay prices. The luckiest I got was my Amiga 500 -- my first one that I've owned, and after I found it worked, my first thought was why isn't the Amiga backwards compatible with a C64.

I showed up at a garage sale not even a mile from my house, and when I asked about old computers, I was told they had just given away a C64. :\

Anyways, I would love to build a ATX 64, but wouldn't I then need a C64 to harvest the chips? I've been following people on YouTube and the often talk about chips becoming more rare.

I have a 1541 drive, which has some of the same chips in it from what I've learned?

One last ramble, I hope to get my hands on a Mega 65! I'm saving for that for sure. : )

Reply 39593 of 52727, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MCGA wrote on 2021-06-24, 22:44:
Thanks to my brother, most of my eighties was spent on a SX-64 and then a C64c. He sold them and gave me his XT to use when he […]
Show full quote
Hehe.... It is because we automatically couple the number 64 with Amd, when we hear the term ATX. ;-) […]
Show full quote

Thanks to my brother, most of my eighties was spent on a SX-64 and then a C64c. He sold them and gave me his XT to use when he bought a 486 DX 25, which then sent me down the PC path.

I look every day for a C64 on Craigslist and the closest one is about 11 hours away at eBay prices. The luckiest I got was my Amiga 500 -- my first one that I've owned, and after I found it worked, my first thought was why isn't the Amiga backwards compatible with a C64.

I showed up at a garage sale not even a mile from my house, and when I asked about old computers, I was told they had just given away a C64. :\

Anyways, I would love to build a ATX 64, but wouldn't I then need a C64 to harvest the chips? I've been following people on YouTube and the often talk about chips becoming more rare.

I have a 1541 drive, which has some of the same chips in it from what I've learned?

One last ramble, I hope to get my hands on a Mega 65! I'm saving for that for sure. : )

The cheapest is of course to buy a mainboard and harvest the chips from that. However you can find plenty of chips as spare parts all around on eBay. Some of the chips are rather cheap, and others are insanely expensive. One of the most notorious are the SID 6581-R4AR. It is an extremely sought after version from 1986. However there are the ARMSID replica, that are so close to the original, that you can simply not tell if it is the original or not. It is priced at 28 euro plus shipping. Else there are multiple other chips in the making. CIA is being implemented into FPGA and so are the VIC-II. That leaves only the CPU to be recreated in FPGA form. Once all these three have been recreated, then we have all custom chips in modern solutions. And then it is only a few logic chips that are not produced anymore.

If you go for a SixtyClone and not ATX-64, then you will have to scavange old boards for parts. Things like the metal bracket over the cratridge connector and the original DB9 ports are nowere to be found, not even as NOS. But the ATX-64 need no destruction of old boards. You can see my ATX-64 as it is now. I posted a picture in "messed-with" tread.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 39594 of 52727, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-06-24, 22:59:
MCGA wrote on 2021-06-24, 22:44:
Thanks to my brother, most of my eighties was spent on a SX-64 and then a C64c. He sold them and gave me his XT to use when he […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

The cheapest is of course to buy a mainboard and harvest the chips from that. However you can find plenty of chips as spare parts all around on eBay. Some of the chips are rather cheap, and others are insanely expensive. One of the most notorious are the SID 6581-R4AR. It is an extremely sought after version from 1986. However there are the ARMSID replica, that are so close to the original, that you can simply not tell if it is the original or not. It is priced at 28 euro plus shipping. Else there are multiple other chips in the making. CIA is being implemented into FPGA and so are the VIC-II. That leaves only the CPU to be recreated in FPGA form. Once all these three have been recreated, then we have all custom chips in modern solutions. And then it is only a few logic chips that are not produced anymore.

If you go for a SixtyClone and not ATX-64, then you will have to scavange old boards for parts. Things like the metal bracket over the cratridge connector and the original DB9 ports are nowere to be found, not even as NOS. But the ATX-64 need no destruction of old boards. You can see my ATX-64 as it is now. I posted a picture in "messed-with" tread.

I saw the picture of the board, it's awesome! Even watched a couple of YouTube videos. : )

This is something I'd like to do and just need to take the first step.

Reply 39595 of 52727, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another roland midi thing (last one I promise). Sadly it has a nasty hissing sound at standby...anyone know how I could go about fixing that?

Attachments

• DSC_0322 (Large).JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0322 (Large).JPG
    File size
    163.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 39596 of 52727, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might have to recap or check for any corroded areas and get that cleaned off.

That is a cute device, though.

Another thing you can do is turn the speaker off (there's a switch in the back by the RCA jacks).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2021-06-25, 06:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 39597 of 52727, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-06-25, 06:10:

Might have to recap or check for any corroded areas and get that cleaned off.

That is a cute device, though.

Indeed. Unfortunately, they now tend to cost an arm and a lag .

Reply 39598 of 52727, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A new one I see is $135 + S&H and state tax.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 39599 of 52727, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on an IBM PS/2 buying spree - seller's photo 😀

It doesn't work but hey that's half the fun eh?

Attachments

• E4rGCPrXwAAuB9H.jpg
    Filename
    E4rGCPrXwAAuB9H.jpg
    File size
    94.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed