VOGONS

First post, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings!

I have a Kingston TurboChip TC366 which used to house an AMD K6-2 366. As far as I can tell, this is a voltage regulator that runs in-between the board and CPU, so as to make sure that the correct voltage is applied. In the case of the K6-2, I believe that CPU required either 2.2v or 2.4V, where as MMX capable boards from that era usually supply 2.8V, maybe 2.7V. Not to mention boards that are incapable of dealing with split voltage and just do 3.3V-3.5V.
In any case, I've had this adapter for many years, but I have never made use of it or even tried it. I got my hands on an Olivetti M24 🤣 a few days ago which I upgraded from an MMX 166 to a 233, however I have a K6-2 450 that I've been thinking of plugging in, in the hopes that I can get it to work at 400, effectively maxing out the CPU for this system (with the possible exception of a K6-III or one of the plus models). The mainboard unfortunately can't do voltages lower than 2.8V, so I've been thinking of using the Kingston TurboChip adapter/regulator to do the hard work there.

Thing is, beneath the socket on the adapter/regulator is a set of 8 DIP switches without a map for the possible combinations. Tried as I might, I could not find any manual or explanation for these switches. Kingston's official manuals do not mention the DIP switches, I don't think they wanted end users removing the CPU from the adapter and only used them internally to configure for different products. The only clue I have is an IC next to the DIP switches which reads:
"f P86AB
RC5036M
A"

Unfortunately, I could not find any datasheets for this. I'm attaching two photos of the TurboChip in the hopes that someone can help me figure out the possible combinations.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 41, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would say there's likely to be three multiplier switches, like on a motherboard, but overriding the motherboard ones, that go to the pins on the top CPU socket, and they are likely to have 10Kilohm resistors on them. Then there's likely to be 5 for setting voltage on that chip you see, which probably have a variety of different resistance values and work like voltage settings on a lot of motherboards. So if original docs are not to be had, you can bleep out the multi pins from a CPU pinout and figure out the voltage settings from the datasheet of the chip and the resistance values.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a datasheet for the RC5036: https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/635297678915034898

Page 9 has an example/refernce circuit, which Kingston may have followed and could be useful to work out what the switches connect to.

Reply 4 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m trying to figure out jumper settings on mine, did you have any luck?

I can find manuals for it but no dip settings listed..

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think as Bitwrangler suggested, that if the manuals don't include DIP switch settings (they're factory set and sold with CPU fitted, so probably not), then it's going to mean working out what's connected to what. Better photos would help, showing the resistor values. Some traces will show what the connections are, and knowing resistor values might mean it's possible to make a guess about which the voltage output resistors are, based on the Vout=1.5*(1+R1/R2) given in the RC5036 datasheet (same formula for both outputs). But there will be enough traces going under components that any guess will need to be confirmed by checking.

Reply 7 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote on 2021-12-20, 10:39:

Unfortunately not, the motherboard I wanted to use for the K6-2 did not support the processor properly so I gave up on the subject.

Ask user chkcpu to mod your bios if it isn’t listed on his website (jan)

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-20, 12:19:

I think as Bitwrangler suggested, that if the manuals don't include DIP switch settings (they're factory set and sold with CPU fitted, so probably not), then it's going to mean working out what's connected to what. Better photos would help, showing the resistor values. Some traces will show what the connections are, and knowing resistor values might mean it's possible to make a guess about which the voltage output resistors are, based on the Vout=1.5*(1+R1/R2) given in the RC5036 datasheet (same formula for both outputs). But there will be enough traces going under components that any guess will need to be confirmed by checking.

On mine I’m pretty sure that the first three left to right are probably the bf0, bf1, bf2 registers for setting multiplier

And the rest to the right I’m pretty sure are the voltage settings

Assuming that it works like any old socket 7 motherbord all off should give the lowest voltage and probably from left to right should be +.1v, +.2v, + .3v+, .4v, +.8v or something like that

I’ll have to do some experiments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 41, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3 clkmul pin positions on the cpu/socket are in known positions

You could on a bench use an ohm meter testing each clkmul pin by flipping every dip switch one at a time to see which dip attaches to which clkmul

If I had to guess the 3 dipp switches that are up relate to the 5.5x multiplier and unless you want to use 6x there is likely little reason to change them

The other dips likely affect other things like voltage and it’s doubtful they go below 2.2v

Reply 10 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-12-20, 19:42:
The 3 clkmul pin positions on the cpu/socket are in known positions […]
Show full quote

The 3 clkmul pin positions on the cpu/socket are in known positions

You could on a bench use an ohm meter testing each clkmul pin by flipping every dip switch one at a time to see which dip attaches to which clkmul

If I had to guess the 3 dipp switches that are up relate to the 5.5x multiplier and unless you want to use 6x there is likely little reason to change them

The other dips likely affect other things like voltage and it’s doubtful they go below 2.2v

I am suspecting that my adapter in it’s curent state is likely in the 5.5x 2.2v or 2.4v configuration but I am unsure.

Do you know what pin configuration is required for 2/(6x)?

I can totally figure that out with a volt meter if I have some references to go off of

Edit: confirmed it’s set to 2.2v

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay 4-8 are voltage switches as suspected

All voltage switches off is 2.020v so this is the base
4 is +0.1
5 is +0.2
6 is +0.4
7 is +0.8

So 2.8v is all voltage switches off except 7

But it gets weird, there appears to be a second tier of voltage settings if you enable switch 8

The second tier has a base of 1.330v

With this new base setting the switch values are cut in half. The +.1v is now a +.05v and so on.

So it seems this adapter can set about whatever voltage you might want!! Awesome!

Ps, not that this would ever happen but be sure power is fully removed when setting these switches, I noted a glitch wherein if full power down wasn’t observed between settings that the regulator would let 5v through instead of the set value.

I can’t imagine a scenario where someone would plug a cpu into a running computer though. But heads up 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 12 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can someone ⭕️ the pins I need to check for those final three switches? Not clear on which ones they are

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 13 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That voltage pattern rings a bell, and it appeared on some motherboards: Super socket 7 motherboard voltage jumpers.

BF pins are here:

K62_BF.jpg
Filename
K62_BF.jpg
File size
105.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Settings are here:

K62_BF_Settings.jpg
Filename
K62_BF_Settings.jpg
File size
32.49 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by snufkin on 2021-12-20, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I can see 2.020v on all the vcc2 pins and these two images appear to be in the same orientation

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 15 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-20, 20:16:

Okay, I can see 2.020v on all the vcc2 pins and these two images appear to be in the same orientation

I showed the bottom view of the CPU, forgetting you'd actually want the socket. I think this is right:

K62_BF_pins.jpg
Filename
K62_BF_pins.jpg
File size
91.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Switch 3 is bf
Switch 2 is bf1
Switch 1 is nc (in line with other two pins)

Basically they flip orientation when looking head on a the three switches and pins.

I assume bf is bf0, bf1 is bf1 and nc is bf2

So what settings are required for 2x?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-03-19, 10:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-20, 20:30:
Switch 3 is bf Switch 2 is bf1 Switch 1 is nc (in line with other two pins) […]
Show full quote

Switch 3 is bf
Switch 2 is bf1

Basically they flip orientation when looking head on a the three switches and pins.

NC? It looks like switch 1-3 go to R6,7&8 (330 ohm). Seems unlikely they would fit all three resistors for one to be NC. Datasheet (I edited post just above yours earlier) says 2x/6x is BF[2..0] = 110b.

[edit: just looked up the datasheet for the 5057 and it gives the 5 bit voltage table there, seems to match what you found, 1.30V to 2.05V in 0.05V steps, then 2V to 3.5V in 0.1V steps. It's actually quite a different design from Garret's]

Last edited by snufkin on 2021-12-20, 20:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-20, 20:36:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-20, 20:30:
Switch 3 is bf Switch 2 is bf1 Switch 1 is nc (in line with other two pins) […]
Show full quote

Switch 3 is bf
Switch 2 is bf1

NC? It looks like switch 1-3 go to R6,7&8 (330 ohm). Seems unlikely they would fit all three resistors for one to be NC. Datasheet (I edited post just above yours earlier) says 2x/6x is BF[2..0] = 110b.

Nc is the label for the right most bf pin on the schematic I uploaded.

says 2x/6x is BF[2..0] = 110b.

I don’t understand

Edit, ohh! So we want bf 0,1 on and bf2 off?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 41, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-20, 20:39:
Nc is the label for the right most bf pin on the schematic I uploaded. […]
Show full quote

Nc is the label for the right most bf pin on the schematic I uploaded.

says 2x/6x is BF[2..0] = 110b.

I don’t understand

Edit, ohh! So we want bf 0,1 on and bf2 off?

Ah, missed that, I'd already downloaded a pinout that had them labeled BF2, BF1 and BF0.

Not sure how to describe this, but when giving the setting of a bus of several lines, like BF[2..0], the setting will be in the same order as given in the square brackets.
So BF[2..0]=abc means BF2=a, BF1=b and BF0=c. So BF[2..0]=110b (b for binary, would also make sense to give it in octal/hexdecimal) mean BF2 and BF1 set to '1' and BF0 set to '0'.