VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This picture is from manual for a soyo SS7 motherboard I managed to find recently.

sy-ema+.jpg
Filename
sy-ema+.jpg
File size
184.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Does anyone has any idea if there are any undocumented voltage settings that would be best used with a cpu that would require lower voltages? Somehow I don't think the jumper settings in the manual include all possible voltage values.

Reply 1 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks similar to a Jetway S7 board that I have here.
If so the 4 jumpers add, when shorted, the following voltages to base value 2.0 volt:
1-2 = +0.1 v
3-4 = +0.2 v
5-6 = +0.4 v
7-8 = +0.8 v

For example:
[close][open][open][open] produces 2.1 volt.

Reply 2 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2020-03-29, 02:56:
That looks similar to a Jetway S7 board that I have here. If so the 4 jumpers add, when shorted, the following voltages to base […]
Show full quote

That looks similar to a Jetway S7 board that I have here.
If so the 4 jumpers add, when shorted, the following voltages to base value 2.0 volt:
1-2 = +0.1 v
3-4 = +0.2 v
5-6 = +0.4 v
7-8 = +0.8 v

For example:
[close][open][open][open] produces 2.1 volt.

So all 4 jumpers open would mean I would get 2.0V and that would be the lowest?
Is there any spot on the motherboard where I could measure the cpu voltage with a multimeter without cpu installed to be sure?

Reply 4 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS Found documented settings for another Jetway board that I once had or researched.

jetRev3.JPG
Filename
jetRev3.JPG
File size
45.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Would appreciate it to know if/when you succeed.

Reply 5 of 12, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an SS7 board with that same jumper layout. I managed to cook a K-6 III+ because I miss interpreted the jumper settings silkscreen on the board. I set it for 3.6v instead of 2.0v. Silkscreen specified O for short and X for open!! I got it backwards and shorted all pins!! Hit the power and killed the processor instantly. Stupid silkscreen! O should ALWAYS be "open" or 0 (zero) for off.

Reply 6 of 12, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved - Hidden voltage options on soyo 5ema+ 1.1? K6-iii+ 500 ANZ 1.8V and some overclocking results

I had the same issue. If you have the same voltage regulator, there are many more options. Check my topic about that.

Reply 7 of 12, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
20200729_095654.jpg
Filename
20200729_095654.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license

This is for the voltage regulator on my soyo 5EMA+ that has a HIP6004BCB controller. The right side is from the controller manual. The left side is mirrored for the actual jumper settings. Make sure, that applies to your board as well!

Reply 8 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Williwinner
The boards discussed earlier in this thread have 2x4 jumpers and are limited to 16 selection combinations.
The layout you posted does not apply because it is for the SOYO 5EMA+ which has 2x5 jumpers and therefore 32 selection combinations.

Reply 9 of 12, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True. I thought the layout mentioned in this threat was only used for 5EMA (non+) but his SY-5EMA+ is indeed very different to my SY-5EMA+ (v1.1).

Thank you for making that clear!

@Baoran: Is your board without a version number?

Reply 10 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The type of VRM chip is an important aspect but the way how motherboards are designed is equally important. One of my SS7 Jetway boards had an even more limited layout

jetvolt.JPG
Filename
jetvolt.JPG
File size
58.88 KiB
Views
File license

I don't know what type of chip this one carried, I don't have the board anymore.

Reply 11 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is my build using the same motherboard.
I used an AMD K6-3+ 450 over clocked to 500mhz.
I used the 2.0v setting.
There was NO need to up the voltages.
AMD K6-lll+@500mhz., Voodoo 3000 (desktop)

Reply 12 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-03-29, 03:26:

Is there any spot on the motherboard where I could measure the cpu voltage with a multimeter without cpu installed to be sure?

I guess this was a few months ago, but usually you can measure Vcore on the metal tab of a MOSFET near the CPU socket. You can also get Vcore on one of the legs of an inductor (looks like a copper coil). If you're worried about shorting anything then wrap the probe with tape so only the tip is exposed.
Failing all that, you could clamp a piece of wire into the CPU socket on one of the appropriate pins, but that's the hard way.
Put the negative probe against the PSU casing.

Experiment a bit to make sure what you're measuring really is the Vcore (reacting to your jumper changes in an expected way). Then try to find the jumper combo for the voltage you want.