VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to let the moderators know this is not an announcement, this is just a question I have.

I currently have a collection of Big Box games but the disks on some of them are questionable. Is there any point to attempting to sell any with questionable disks or is that a waste of time? Trying to decide because I'm starting to find a lot of disks I have are going bad and I wanted to determine if it's worth selling those games or not? Are people really that into the packaging or is it better off just to keep everything, esp since I tend to burn CD's and keep ZIP archives/ISOs/etc already of the stuff.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2021-08-22, 14:14:

I keep my big box collection on the shelf for display only.

I used to do this too, but then I learned first hand that sunlight and/or heat can cause CDs and DVDs to degrade.

So I now take the discs out of the box and store them separately in a storage locker, while still keeping the actual boxes on display.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2021-08-22, 14:04:

Just to let the moderators know this is not an announcement, this is just a question I have.

I currently have a collection of Big Box games but the disks on some of them are questionable. Is there any point to attempting to sell any with questionable disks or is that a waste of time? Trying to decide because I'm starting to find a lot of disks I have are going bad and I wanted to determine if it's worth selling those games or not? Are people really that into the packaging or is it better off just to keep everything, esp since I tend to burn CD's and keep ZIP archives/ISOs/etc already of the stuff.

I often buy big box games just to get the manuals/documentations, so yes, there is a point to that.

Most of the times, I buy big box games with complete contents, including disks, but instead of bothering to copy the disks into my PC, I'd rather download the game from abandonware sites (hey, I already own the game, do I not?). It's the manuals/documentations that I'm really after.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 7, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am in the same boat as Kreshna. I have a small collection of actual boxed games that I bought off Ebay, but I did so under the assumption that the disks would not necessarily work. I just wanted the box/artwork, manuals, maps, etc. Surprisingly, all the disks were functional, but I would have been fine with just downloading the games from abandonware sites or getting the GOG versions to work in DOS.

As long as you list the games as non-working or non-tested, I don't think most people would care and you'd still get plenty of interest.

Reply 5 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep I'd buy a nice boxed copy of a game regardless of whether the disks work too - I often have the disks or a copy of the game already.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-08-22, 15:23:

Most of the times, I buy big box games with complete contents, including disks, but instead of bothering to copy the disks into my PC, I'd rather download the game from abandonware sites (hey, I already own the game, do I not?). It's the manuals/documentations that I'm really after.

Agree with this 100%
I'd much prefer having the disks even if useless then just a manual in the box. All part of the tactile experience.

Reply 7 of 7, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it's a rare box, people do buy it even without the disk(c)s or in questionable condition. I wouldn't junk the bad discs, but keep it and make a copy of it if you really use the old media.

I don't really use the discs/media that come with big box games, unless I really don't have a source or it has some media I want to archive or image.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames