Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 40320 of 52670, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-08-31, 23:51:
Woah, I haven't seen a fresh one in box in so long. I went through loads of those back in the day before I knew how to repair st […]
Show full quote
infiniteclouds wrote on 2021-08-30, 22:22:

Brand new OG Intellimouse Optical. Back in the day I had this one and also an Explorer which was grey with an extra button - PS2 compatible optical a must. Too bad it won't also work with a serial converter.
IMG_20210830_172414231.jpg

Woah, I haven't seen a fresh one in box in so long. I went through loads of those back in the day before I knew how to repair stuff - I went through so many replacements from Diablo II causing the 'double click mouse' feature, that PC world said they wouldn't do any more warranty replacements after one or two times.

I stored a few of them and they're still pretty good these days, although I find the tracking rate a bit slow for bigger screens. There are ways to get an intellimouse optical connected to serial though 😀
IMG_1195 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1196 (Custom).JPG

what laptop is that? looks mid 90's with the wide screen surround and small screen, fairly solid looking though!

it reminds me of an old laptop I let go years ago (ast ascentia i think, with Pentium 100 , 16mb ram, 800mb hdd and 10' screen) - it worked fine too, just could never find a purpose for it - I probably wouldn't now either, but it would be nice to have it again!

Reply 40321 of 52670, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TehGuy wrote on 2021-08-31, 22:51:

Unexpected surprise with the no-name slotket I bought: the PCB says it can only get the voltage as low as 1.6v but the included manual (which has what looks like Japanese on the other side) actually specifies both CPU voltage passthrough and DIP settings to go as low as 1.3v. I don't have any of my C3s or the mobo to test with yet, so now it just hinges on seeing if the VRMs can output the needed juice. Failing that, still hopefully have the MS-6905 en route which I still might just end up using while keeping this as a spare.

It's Shuttle Hot-C003 slotket - see attched docu.

Filename
HOT-C003 (Print-Version).pdf
File size
155.07 KiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 40322 of 52670, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2021-09-01, 10:59:

It's Shuttle Hot-C003 slotket - see attched docu.
HOT-C003 (Print-Version).pdf

Oh wow, I figured I just got lucky on some generic dealio (it's just listed as a new socket 1 to socket 370 adapter and the provided manual doesn't say what it is).. I don't know if it's allowed to toss ebay links around, but the dude has 5 more for about $35 USD in case anyone else is looking.

Coincidentally, I had been perusing the 'bay based on your post here a few months back; didn't think I'd just stumble across anything listed on there.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 40323 of 52670, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-01, 12:30:

Oh wow, I figured I just got lucky on some generic dealio (it's just listed as a new socket 1 to socket 370 adapter and the provided manual doesn't say what it is).. I don't know if it's allowed to toss ebay links around, but the dude has 5 more for about $35 USD in case anyone else is looking.
Coincidentally, I had been perusing the 'bay based on your post here a few months back; didn't think I'd just stumble across anything listed on there.

That is not really cheap imo but slotkets in general have undergone a rather severe inflation in recent times so you take what you can get I guess. Some of the more advanced slotkets, like the MSI Master that you mentioned in an earlier post, come with an on-board voltage clamp wich seems to be more reliable/safer but I am not sure if it really matters.
There is a japanese auction site that has slotkets on offer on a regular basis with prices that look a bit more reasonable.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/clo … /slot1%20370/0/
Anyway, this slotket will likely work for you.

Reply 40324 of 52670, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TehGuy wrote on 2021-08-31, 22:51:

Unexpected surprise with the no-name slotket I bought: the PCB says it can only get the voltage as low as 1.6v but the included manual (which has what looks like Japanese on the other side) actually specifies both CPU voltage passthrough and DIP settings to go as low as 1.3v.

Doesn't the slotket have to have some active components to support Vcore changes? How does it work via jumpers and dips only?

Reply 40325 of 52670, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Passive voltage jumpers are there to override what the CPU "asks" for with it's VID pins, which is useful if it wants 1.475 or something and the board only does 0.1 increments so can't interpret it, so you can try 1.4 or 1.5... or if you want to bump it 0.1 or 0.2 for overclocking, or conversely try dropping it a bit for passive/quiet cooling.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40326 of 52670, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-31, 22:28:

Pretty likely Morex case...

I did it, I just did it , this is really exciting - bought an early 486DX/66 Multimedia-PC 😀
First hand, untinkered - another fancy case 😀

Not tested yet, but it came even with the DOOM game disk still in the floppy drive 😉

486_MMPC.jpg
Filename
486_MMPC.jpg
File size
55.22 KiB
Views
File comment
486 MMPC
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 40327 of 52670, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-09-01, 15:18:
I did it, I just did it , this is really exciting - bought an early 486DX/66 Multimedia-PC :-) First hand, untinkered - another […]
Show full quote

I did it, I just did it , this is really exciting - bought an early 486DX/66 Multimedia-PC 😀

Not tested yet, but it came even with the DOOM game disk still in the disk drive 😉

486_MMPC.jpg

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 40329 of 52670, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-01, 15:19:

Damn !!! This unit looks cool !

Looks like it hase son kind of Karaoke function with two Mike-in at the front.

Yes, yes, yes, this is a really good one ... so far 😉

Reply 40331 of 52670, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-09-01, 15:22:

Looks like it hase son kind of Karaoke function with two Mike-in at the front.

Whohoo, pink fluffy unicons

Sorry for the overreaction, but I looked so long for something like that ...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-01, 21:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 40332 of 52670, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
I did it, I just did it , this is really exciting - bought an early 486DX/66 Multimedia-PC :-) First hand, untinkered - another […]
Show full quote

Not tested yet, but it came even with the DOOM game disk still in the floppy drive 😉

486_MMPC.jpg

Doom didn't play off floppy though. Either someone kept their game saves on disk, or it's a custom boot disk with only sound drivers and cut down config.sys and autoexec.bat for enough conventional mem free for Doom to launch. ... which it may also do from hard disk as last command in autoexec.bat.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40333 of 52670, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-09-01, 15:24:
Looks like it has some kind of Karaoke function with two Mike-in at the front. […]
Show full quote

Looks like it has some kind of Karaoke function with two Mike-in at the front.

Whohoo, pink fluffy unicons

Sorry for the overreaction, but I looked so long for something like that ...

Very cool case. We have a special thread for these cases with built-in speakers too: The AT cases with built-in stereo speakers thread!

I have three of these things myself and I love every one of them, hating them at the same time as their internal layout with drives mounted in the center is ridiculous and installing long cards in them (like GUS Max or some AWE32 models) is hell 😉

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40334 of 52670, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

486_MMPC.jpg

That's an awesome case super nice find. Quite a nice find on the floppy drive. I wonder what fun the hard drive holds itself. It would also be cool if the CD drive had a surprise that's fun too.

Reply 40336 of 52670, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-08-29, 22:40:
I bought this low-profile IBM 300GL 6282-66U for $100 shipped. It arrived in great shape with only a couple of scratches/scuffs […]
Show full quote

I bought this low-profile IBM 300GL 6282-66U for $100 shipped. It arrived in great shape with only a couple of scratches/scuffs on the top cover of the case. I bought the case to use as an open-air test bench for LPX-style motherboards, but I’m glad the purchase included a fully functional Pentium 200 MMX, 64MB of SDRAM, a 16x Hitachi CD-ROM drive, working floppy drive, and a Netgear PCI network card.

It worked pretty well as soon as I got it, but I needed to remove and spray contact cleaner on the integrated graphics card’s memory chips to resolve an intermittent BIOS configuration error (it would falsely report 1MB of memory every other boot). Unfortunately, I still get a keyboard error every time I cold start the machine. I figure it’s because I’m using an aftermarket PS/2 keyboard.

I’m also a bit disappointed that the BIOS uses LBA for drives, but won’t recognize more than 8GB of storage. 8GB is plenty for most programs I could run on it, but I wish it could use more. The BIOS does recognize my DVD/CD-RW drive and an IDE-to-SATA adapter, so that’s something. I’m going to use an IDE-to-SD adapter with it since my SATA SSD’s would be a bit of a waste.

I’ve already tricked it out with some turn of the millennium goodness: the DVD/CD-RW drive, an OPTI ISA sound card/wavetable, a Matrox G200 video card, and my DXR3 multimedia accelerator card to watch some DVD’s. I haven’t used the DRX3 in nearly 20 years. Ah, the good old days…

My own computer! Too bad about the 8GB limit

But does the second motherboard IDE connector work?

Reply 40338 of 52670, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matti157 wrote on 2021-09-01, 16:01:

Philips rwdv3210 - 20€

I have two of these, bought 'm when they were new (17/18 years ago or something?). My favorite drives. Had to change the drive belt recently though since opening/closing the drive bay became a challenge.