First post, by CkRtech
- Rank
- Oldbie
Hey all - I need a reality check.
I recently upgraded my Epox P55-TF, Intel 430fx system to 64 MB of RAM (2x 32MB in Bank 0). The board has 256k of pipeline burst cache and a W24129AK-12 Tag chip in the DIP socket.
Doing almost anything in Windows 98 SE leads to page faults.
These issues can be bypassed by limiting RAM to 32MB via system.ini or keeping 64 MB and disabling L2 entirely. System runs stable either way.
I do not have the ability to toggle between WB and WT in my BIOS, but I assume switching to WT and running 64 MB would also work.
As I understand it, 256k of cache can do 64MB of RAM in WT or 32MB in WB. If you want 64MB in WB, you need 512k of cache.
I recently acquired a 256k Coast module to double system cache to 512k. It includes a UT6164JC-15 Tag chip . I do not believe that tag can cover 512k of cache. I left the DIP Tag in the socket and kinda just... ran with them both.
I have the same issues in Windows 98 SE as I did before the cache upgrade.
I assume that I Windows 98 SE will be happy if I can just disable the tag on the Coast module and use the DIP Tag to handle all 512k of cache in WB mode.
Anyone want to weigh in? Am I barking up the right tree?