VOGONS

First post, by Darth Geek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've searched all around VOGONS and other Dosbox forums, but I can't find how to get Descent 2 running.

First of all, I'm using Kubuntu 9.04 with DOSBox 0.72.

I have a Descent 2 folder that I copied from an XP installation in ~/Games/Descent2. In DOSBox, I automatically mount ~/Games/ as the C drive, and mounted /media.cdrom0 (the drive with the descent 2 cd) as D, using "MOUNT D /media/cdrom0 -t cdrom". However, descent 2 does not recognize this as a cdrom drive.

Also, I saw in several places on this and other forums to install from the cd within DOSbox. That doesn't work either: it says install.exe must be run from the cd drive (which... it is.)

I've tried running Descent 2 using WINE but it tries to load the program, then quits with no error message.

Reply 1 of 8, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it expects a proper label. Find out the label of the cd and add -label yourlabel to the mount line.

edit: you might need to use the -usecd switch. readme.txt:

3. To mount system CD-ROM drive at mountpoint /media/cdrom as CD-ROM drive D
in DOSBox:
mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0

Reply 2 of 8, by Darth Geek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I found out how to run d2 without the CD at all- there's a nocd patch:

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/patchd2/

My problem now is, it tries to load all the movie files (*.mvl) from the cd since I didn't install them with the game. Unfortunately, it can't load them for the same reason I didn't install them: "other-h.mvl" is corrupted beyond repair. My D2 CD has more scratches on it than all my other CDs put together.

Anyone experienced with D2, how do I stop it looking for the movie files on startup? (or at least other-h.mvl, since I have other-l.mvl which contains low-resolution movies)

Reply 5 of 8, by MONITOR613

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rather than start another Descent 2 thread i thought i'd piggyback on this one. my problem is i don't know shit about code and all this is Greek to me . i got the dos box up and running but i get a 'doesn't support fullframe' or something as such. i downloaded the patch that was linked by Darth Geek, but i don't know what to do with it!!

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well your post is greek to us. What do you expect us to do with what you posted? Have a pity party?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline