VOGONS

First post, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have acquired a Voodoo3 3500 TV without the break-out cable. The card seems to have a P&D port which in theory carries both analog and digital signals, and there are people selling P&D-VGA and P&D-DVI converters for $5 each.
So has anyone tried hooking P&D-DVI to a V3 before? I am willing to toss 5 bucks and give it a try if no one else has done this.

Reply 1 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "Compaq" V3 also has solder points for a digital interface. It would be awesome to get this working somehow but is it as simple as soldering a connector? There seems to be space for two larger chips.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 15, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to http://tdfx.de/ger/abc_05.shtml#dfp (German) the Voodoo3 2000 and 3000 PCI have solder points for a DFP (Digital Flat Panel) connection.
DFP is compatible with DVI, you just need a passive adapter, or you could probably just solder the connector. DFP is more limited than DVI, though - 1280×1024@60Hz or 800×600@85Hz.

Also see Voodoo 3/4/5: DVI?; it seems that the connector on the 3500 might not be what you think.

Reply 5 of 15, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful buying a P&D adapter though... I've wasted money on 2 so far. I have no idea if they would work or not, they don't fit 🙁 The pins line up perfectly, but the shell doesn't fit around the port (too small.) Still debating if I should risk clipping part of the shell off or not. The second one I purchased "looked" like it would fit (in the picture,) but has the same problem. 🙁

IMAG0001.JPG
Filename
IMAG0001.JPG
File size
118.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see (please excuse my poor camera,) the top connector (from the V3 Octopus,) is noticeably different than the P&D adapter I have.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 15, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to complete my attempts.... Considering the low cost of this adapter, I took a chance and use a pair of stout needle nose to stretch out the outer fitting (can't think of what it's called,) so that it would fit over the connector on the Voodoo 3 3500 connector.. It works just fine, and the video is actually sharper than with the octopus attached. Since I don't plan to use all those extra features on the octopus, I can just stick with the adapter for now 😀 It is a M1-A(P&D) to VGA adapter... M1-A(P&D) Male to VGA (HD-15) Female Adapter. A bit of searching may find one that actually fits correctly, but after 2 attempts, I just stuck with this one, carefully modified.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FeedingDragon wrote:

Just to complete my attempts.... Considering the low cost of this adapter, I took a chance and use a pair of stout needle nose to stretch out the outer fitting (can't think of what it's called,) so that it would fit over the connector on the Voodoo 3 3500 connector.. It works just fine, and the video is actually sharper than with the octopus attached. Since I don't plan to use all those extra features on the octopus, I can just stick with the adapter for now 😀 It is a M1-A(P&D) to VGA adapter... M1-A(P&D) Male to VGA (HD-15) Female Adapter. A bit of searching may find one that actually fits correctly, but after 2 attempts, I just stuck with this one, carefully modified.

Congrats!!!

Reply 8 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got 3 converters and tested them out today. The best one came from DELL, as it is a direct fit to Voodoo3 TV, except the unit I got has a recessed corner.

DELLpnd.png
Filename
DELLpnd.png
File size
864.57 KiB
Views
File license

Everything works beautifully after I pulled that corner out.
The other two converters need some more work to make them fit:

pndconverters.png
Filename
pndconverters.png
File size
618.42 KiB
Views
File license

One of them is VGA and the other is DVI. No the DVI one doesn't work.

Reply 9 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry for the necro 😜

I found this thread from a private message I received with a question regarding these connectors and the V3 3500.

I basically mentioned everything relevant in the older thread here Voodoo3 3500TV, connect to monitor? (this thread is already linked to a few messages above this one) but I remember that I had to cut part of the connector in order to make it physically fit the Voodoo3 (some parts around the pins of the connector were in the way).

I also remember the connector was a bit loose, but at least it worked 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 15, by Eniac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just recently purchased this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Male-HD-15-Fe … r/dp/B001TILQO6?

....only to find that the shielding/ground housing(?) would not fit over the connector on card. THEN I FOUND THIS THREAD 😀

I was able to bend out the corners and get it to fit! This card had been sitting in a anti-static bag for like 2 years and of course I had forgotten the connector problem.... Card works!!!!

Oh! This is my first posting, I think.... so hi to everyone : )

Reply 11 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eniac wrote:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just recently purchased this adapter: […]
Show full quote

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just recently purchased this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Male-HD-15-Fe … r/dp/B001TILQO6?

....only to find that the shielding/ground housing(?) would not fit over the connector on card. THEN I FOUND THIS THREAD 😀

I was able to bend out the corners and get it to fit! This card had been sitting in a anti-static bag for like 2 years and of course I had forgotten the connector problem.... Card works!!!!

Oh! This is my first posting, I think.... so hi to everyone : )

Welcome! 😀

And this is one reasons what makes these threads so great! 😁

edit:

lazibayer wrote:
bjt wrote:

Thanks for the reference! It seems that Tetrium has tried this and P&D-VGA works but P&D-DVI doesn't work.

Replying to this just for future reference: I started doing a lot of reading and searching around and came to the conclusion that my best bet were these P&D adapters, but as I for whatever reason (I can't even remember how I knew this back then, good chance the information I found regarding these adapters is gone now) knew in advance I needed the analog variant, I never bothered buying any other versions. I only got the 2 analog ones (1 for each of my V3 3500s).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 15, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow I'd always avoided buying the 3500 due to the octopus issue. I am glad to see there is a way around this as I've seen 3500s without the octopus go for cheap on eBay compared to the Compaq version.

Reply 14 of 15, by TorqueDaisy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, wanted to necro this thread and share what I've managed to figure out with some research since this seems to be the most comprehensive one relating to this subject.

From what I've been able to gather, the connection on the Voodoo3 3500 TV may not necessarily be a P&D connector, but an EVC connector: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Enhanced_Video_Connector

The pinout of both a P&D and EVC connector are nearly the same which is why adapters work, but the EVC connectors do in fact have that old style shielding that should fit a V3 3500 TV's connector:

9V9m47k.png
0LTC2To.png

I've gone and ordered the Dell C4403 suggested earlier here and I will report my findings back once I receive it, but that adapter looks to be a direct fit to the V3 3500 TV without having to bend anything:

LB9zdN8.jpg

Reply 15 of 15, by TorqueDaisy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Confirmed today that the connector on the V3 3500 TV is an EVC connector and any older styled adapters like this will fit perfectly without mangling them at all:

79NEYJO.jpg
f3p8sVi.jpg
deH6cvB.jpg
Rrq711f.jpg

An adapter like the Dell C4403 is a perfect drop-in replacement.