Acer 500+ XT system

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello fellow vogons'ers!

If you happen to notice my ramblings on other threads then you'll probably know I was gifted a complete XT setup from Acer 😊 It came with the original keyboard/monitor and in excellent condition. Here is a quick pic from the test bench (lcd monitor is showing the cga's composite output) :

WP_20150812_006_zpsbavrrfk0.jpg

So what are the hardware specs? Checkit to the rescue! 🤣

WP_20150812_008_zpslnvfmrpr.jpg

WP_20150812_009_zpstlwjbgvj.jpg

It all boils down to a 8mhz V20 , 640kb or RAM, a CGA and 2 x 360kb 5.25" floppy drives.

4.77 or 10mhz speed is controlled with a small executable called SPEED.COM - I actually found it by accident while digging the ~10 floppies I was given with the machine. It was in a disk with some GW-Basic programs ... (I am attaching the util to this post, maybe someone somewhere sometime will need it)
edit: CTRL+ALT+(plus) works too, alternating between low/high speed.

WP_20150812_015_zpslqtrdmer.jpg

And here are some games running side-to-side with the composite output:

WP_20150812_017_zpszan5gfdf.jpg

WP_20150812_019_zps5eitongk.jpg

WP_20150812_016_zps1comy6dy.jpg

WP_20150812_010_zpsoyrscghe.jpg

WP_20150812_012_zps1k6udxua.jpg

...and a closeup of the original monochrome monitor:

WP_20150812_014_zpsxsfvdwzj.jpg

Naturally I disassembled the main unit and keyboard for cleaning. Only a little dirt inside, this machine was VERY well kept! That's the whole main unit in parts:

WP_20150811_008_zpst3om6yao.jpg

as you can see there is an ISA backplane with 4 slots and 2 of them are occupied by the mainboard and the cga/floppy/io combo cards:

WP_20150811_009_zps9zo6onld.jpg

That's a weird way to build it but it works... the bad thing is that there are only 2 available slots for upgrades... 😵 (well, the isa backplane does have a place to solder an extra ISA slot but there is no space for it in the case, maybe I will solder an extension and use it with a card that needs no external access, like an IDE controller)

For now the upgrades are a new fan to replace the old noisy one, a SB 1320C and an XTIDE rev2 controller that I will be assembling once all parts arrive:

WP_20150812_002_zpsuk5wrfgv.jpg

(there is plenty of space behind the floppies, I am thinking of using it for the extra ISA slot if I ever solder it 🤣 )

I had to clean the keyboard PCB so that CTRL starts working again and for some reason the fuse holder in the PSU was almost broken and made little contact. I replaced that too.
You might have noticed that the CGA composite colors are off, I have no idea why and I have made another thread about it here: Wrong colors with CGA composite, how to fix/check it?
I still haven't done much with the machine, atm I am drowning in an ocean of XT information that I was unaware of 🤣

Thanks for reading! As always comments/ideas are welcome! 😊

Attachments

• Filename
    ACER_500+_SPEED-UTIL.rar
    File size
    1.7 KiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File comment
    ACER 500+ XT speed control utility
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 80, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You lucky dog...i'm so jealous!!!! I've been trying to assemble and XT for quite a while now, well living in England doesn't help but... i love XT's!!! You did an excellent job cleaning it, it looks absolutely mint!!

If you really really want CGA, and your Acer monitor supports it well... just get a true IBM CGA card. You cn find them on eBay, expensive i know, but i think for such a system it would be the best. Maybe you can find one at VCF as well for less money.

BTW, good choice on XT-IDE, and do yourself a favor...glue High Density floppy BIOS extensions to the XT-IDE BIOS. Believe me it will make your life so much easier. If you don't want to go through the trouble just use the ones i posted on bjt's IBM 5160 thread and burn it on the XT-IDE EEPROM.

Congrats my friend!

EDIT:
Some ideas:

- Run Trixter's CGA compatibility tester;
- Run TOPBENCH (also by Trixter);

Reply 2 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks carlostex!
Well the main problem is that the ACER CGA is also a FLOPPY+I/O controller. So if I get an IBM CGA then I would have to sacrifice another slot for floppy/I-O and end up with only 1 free ISA slot.
What you say about the XT-IDE extensions is very interesting, but it still assumes that there is a floppy controller in the system, right? I'm gonna check the thread now.

Well, I do have that extra XT mobo , if it works I can send it over 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 80, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The HD Floppy BIOS Extensions are not part of XT-IDE i just glued them to the XT-IDE BIOS files since XT-IDE just takes 8KB and the EEPROM can take up to 32KB. So now the files is 16KB. XT-IDE starts at C800h and the floppy extensions start at CA00h. Take a look at the picture here...

I see your problem with having a limited number of ISA slots. BTW, your floppy controller will be able to work with the High Density floppies but at reduced data rates. You would need a more modern controller, like those 16bit controllers on 386's. But you can still access HD floppies and that's the most important thing.

Which extra XT mobo are you talking about?? (he wonders with excitement...)

EDIT: The board is the one you posted at the Bought retro hardware thread? Dude if you don't need it just shut up and take my money!

Last edited by carlostex on 2015-08-12, 21:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today , some posts later robin4 posted the pdf manual

I'll surely add the HD floppy extension, I am getting the 32kb eeprom for my rev2 XTIDE , doing a full build with the high-speed serial port 😀
Carlos, do you have any idea what's the deal with the battery on the CGA combo card? Checkit cannot find an RTC but the system somehow keeps the time for a short time... also the LPT port is 15pin... was that normal in XT days?

Reply 5 of 80, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm, you need to check the DIP switches on the CGA combo card. So the system keeps the time but goes out of sync after a while?

15 pins LPT port? Maybe its proprietary i dunno, but i thought you had the paralell port on the CPU card and a serial port on the CGA combo card.

keropi wrote:

^ Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today , some posts later robin4 posted the pdf manual

Oh yeah, beautiful board. If you don't have use for it let me know!!

Reply 6 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ oh yeah I totally screwed it with the ports... there is a parallel at the cpu card, a serial on the cga and then there is a 15pin port at the left of the fan... maybe it's a joystick port after all?! Will test it tomorrow, you never know...
About the DIP switches, I'll add a pic in a sec, nothing related to rtc AFAIR

I'll test the other mobo and report 😉

edit: well there is an RTC enabled after all... I must be getting senile 😵

WP_20150813_006_zpsl8srl7lx.jpg

Reply 9 of 80, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend you to backup your system roms. Perhaps over some time they could refuse working.. Without the software your system would be useless.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 80, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I'll surely add the HD floppy extension, I am getting the 32kb eeprom for my rev2 XTIDE , doing a full build with the high-speed serial port 😀
Carlos, do you have any idea what's the deal with the battery on the CGA combo card? Checkit cannot find an RTC but the system somehow keeps the time for a short time... also the LPT port is 15pin... was that normal in XT days?

I think that only some OEM XTs class machines had an RTC installed on it.. Mostly this was intergrated on combo cards like you are using now.. It was never installed on a XT motherboard.
But i guess this was mostly used on later XT class machines early 1989 - 1991.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 11 of 80, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system, it looks very clean. Is the monitor mono, looks quite sharp? My 5153 is soft in comparison.

The RTC may require a special program to set and retrieve the time. The DTK card in my XT requires this.

Reply 12 of 80, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a cracker of a system! I don't envy you working with a PC that old, but I love how clean and complete it is 😎

Do you know its history?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Robin4
Yes - I'd like to backup both eproms on the system, I am unsure though what the eprom on the cpu board actually is. There are 2 smaller sockets under the V20, one occupied by the BIOS and the other empty to add a basic rom AFAIK. But wth is the BIOS chip?

@bjt
yep the monitor is mono , it's response time rivals that of early lcd screens though 🤣

@badmojo
I do know some of it's history 😀 It was used in Piraeus University in Athens, at the Computers and Science department. Apparently for some secretarial work as there are disks with phone numbers and some basic programs related to commerce applications of the time. I'm making images of the disks but I doubt they are of value TBH.
The machine was stored by a thoughtful employee and when the university decided to get rid of "old junk" it found it's way to my arms 😀

Reply 14 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After much thought I decided to add a 1K logarithmic potentiometer so I can adjust the speaker volume. Thought was given as to how to do it so the mod can be reversible and no damage be made to the case. Unfortunately I could not see another way other than making a 7.5mm hole next to the composite output. So everything can be undone except the hole on the cga/i-o combo card. A fair trade IMHO in order to have speaker volume control , some times it's just too loud 🤣

So here is how it looks from the back:

WP_20150822_013_zpszygyawyg.jpg

and here is the installation, buzzer is on it's side now

WP_20150822_014_zpssapjkzdx.jpg

It works great and looks OK too 🤣

Reply 16 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ exactly, the speaker has the amazing ability to penetrate other rooms when things are silent 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 17 of 80, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But isn't that their main charm? xD
IMHO all PCs should beep. I'm kindda sad when I see a PC with a crappy piezo beeper soldered and no leads for a true speaker, even though I only use true speakers on retro (pre P4/Atlhon) machines.

Reply 18 of 80, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had the same system back in '87 expect in was still under the Multitech name with a Samsung 12" amber. Wish I still had it!

Reply 19 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@alexanrs
is there a difference of how the 2 speaker types sound? to me they sound the same ...

@Formulator
yep, this one was mentioned as "MultiTech Acer" locally, multitech strings are in BIOS too IIRC