VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So during reviewing the TNT2 and comparing it to the 22 bit colour mode of the V3, I couldn't even notice a difference between the TNT2 rendering in 16 bit vs 32 bit. 😒

I've done some external VGA captures. The first one is 16 bit, the second one 32 bit. I don't know why the Quake games turned out so dark...

What games / scenes are good for testing 16 bit vs 32 bit vs V3 22 bit?

Do cards in 16 bit dither and does resolution play a part?

Quake:

16 bit:

4PoP25x.png

32 bit:

QZ7R3Mp.png

Quake II:

16 bit:

7QtH3Jd.png

32 bit:

fagVBbz.png

Expendable:

16 bit:

jAZuBBM.png

32 bit:

Rau34S2.png

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 66, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats becuase games won't show as much difference between 16-32 bit in that era. Most of the textures aren't very deteailed to begin with so even 32bit textures don't really look that good.

The best way to see the difference between 16-32 bit is on static images that have gradients.

288008-comparison-android.jpg?thumb=y

Reply 2 of 66, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Do cards in 16 bit dither and does resolution play a part?

That depends on the hardware. Some cards use dithering in 16-bit, but only for alphablending. For solid gradients you will see banding like emosun showed.

Quake was designed for regular 256-colour VGA, so its textures are very low in colour anyway. So it's not a good test-case for 16-bit vs 32-bit colour.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 66, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

Quake was designed for regular 256-colour VGA, so its textures are very low in colour anyway. So it's not a good test-case for 16-bit vs 32-bit colour.

IIRC Quake and Quake 2 only use 8-bit textures.

32-bit was the next big thing in 98/99, so it got blown out of proportion, very much like 4K is today. It only started to matter later on.

Reply 4 of 66, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info everyone. I did some more searching and often the skies are used as they have a gradient. Might check it out.

But yea, it seems it was quite overrated 😀 The forums must have been busy discussing all of this.

Reply 5 of 66, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall that I ran software in 16-bit most of the time back then. The visual difference was quite small, and 16-bit gave quite a bit better performance and required less memory.
Then a generation later, it became a non-issue as cards became much faster and had much more memory, so you just ran 32-bit all the time.
Besides, as graphics became more complex, there was more use of alphablending/multipass stuff, so differences between 16-bit/32-bit became larger.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 66, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't see it on static pictures with just 8 bit textures. It became really visible with Quake 3 and its volumetric fog for example.
And it became a thing, kinda like tesselation and power efficiency, only when nVidia became good at it, before it obviously was some useless gimmick.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 8 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UT99 is another game (just like Q3), wich clearly makes a difference on 16bit vs. 32bit colors.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 66, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can clearly tell the difference in Quake 3. Check out the smoke that comes off the shotgun after it is fired, rocket launcher and the blood splatter. I can always tell if it is running with 32bit colours when I try that game 😀.

Reply 11 of 66, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something else to keep in mind, if you're using an older LCD screen from before ~2004 (especially laptops) or even some newer dirt-cheap LCD monitors, you may not be able to tell the difference between 16 bit and 24/32 bit color depth. Many older or very cheap LCD monitors simply aren't designed to handle anything higher than 16 bit, and will automatically down-convert 24 or 32 bit color depth to 16 bit. AFAIK CRT monitors never had this issue.

Reply 12 of 66, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

16-bit has a green tinge due to the bit depth itself (6 bits green, 5 bits red and blue). Now that I've mentioned it, you'll notice it far more than you'd like now. It's the green that can't be unseen! It's like The Matrix! And despite a particular claiming otherwise, it's not lossless!!!

A lot of the bit depth disreprancies can show up easily in higher gamma values. Quake3 is overbright by default so it's easier to see banding in that. To reduce banding in Q3 you'd have to turn that off with r_overBrightBits 0.

If your 3d card doesn't support paletted texturing, then GLQuake and Quake2 won't use 8bit textures and will attempt to convert them to 16-bit which can actually lead to worse texture quality. You can see that happening in your GLQuake 16bit picture having a darker floor than the 32-bit picture.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 66, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

How well does the Voodoo 3 handle colour? I've heard that it downsamples 32-bit color to 20-bit.

From what I read, a V3 will end with a 22-bit equivalent image. I'd like to check that out, so that's why I'm interested in all of this 😀

I will definitely check out Quake III then, it has been mentioned a few times, so it must be a good test.

I can now see the different brightness in GLQuake, interesting.

Reply 15 of 66, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx dithers its way to a 16-bit buffer with the DAC trying to make a smoothed filter process out of it. "22-bit" is all marketing schlock. This is what I wanted you to capture on VGA in the years past (for studying) and you wouldn't understand my request.
Still has the limitation of 16-bit textures, and green all over the place.

PowerVR KYRO does a similar thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 66, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes everyone railed on the Voodoo 3 for not supporting 32bit colour, but really it wasn't that important until games like Quake 3. Also the TNT2s really dropped down in speed with 32bit colour so it was a bit pointless anyway.

I'm pretty sure Voodoo 3 16bit looks better than TNT2 16bit as well.

The main issue with the Voodoo 3 was the small texture size support (which the V4 fixed, but was too late).

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 17 of 66, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

What games / scenes are good for testing 16 bit vs 32 bit vs V3 22 bit?

Isn't 32-bit color a bit of a misleading definition, since the last 8 bytes (correction: bits) aren't used for defining the color. I have never made a 32-bit image in photoshop, it is 24-bit, except in when exporting to printer colorspace (CMYK instead of RGB), but that has nothing to do with screen graphics.

Last edited by gerwin on 2015-10-29, 01:34. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 19 of 66, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe someone could mash together a D3D or OpenGL colour gradient testing utility?

I don't think the 22 bit thing was just marketing. There are lots of reports about screenshots looking worse than on the screen.

But yes, this interest me greatly now. I'll play around with Q3A when I get back from work and see if I can find anything useful. Ideally something in one of the time demos as this makes it really easy for capturing.