VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello experts,

From what I understand, these Creative MIDI cables (which came with some Live! / Audigy cards) can be used with the MIDI in / out ports on a Roland SCC-1.

Can anyone confirm or deny please?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-5-pin-Mini-t … 4cAAOSw5VFWK5~E

Thanks!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, maybe so.

Here's Creative's pinout: http://pinouts.ru/Home/minidin_to_din_pinout.shtml

I can test the Roland cables if no one's got the pinout.

Edit: Seems like a lot of people are using Creative cables here: SCC-1 cable

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, seems to line up in testing. Made a beautiful illustration for posterity.

Attachments

• scc1minidin.jpg
    Filename
    scc1minidin.jpg
    File size
    29.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Roland SCC-1 miniDIN MIDI adapter cable pinout
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by firage on 2016-04-20, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fantastic! Thanks for going to the trouble to confirm and thumbs up for the beautiful illustration!

I've just bought 2 of them for 9 bucks 😎

Reply 4 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks for going to the trouble to confirm and thumbs up for the beautiful illustration!

I've just bought 2 of them for 9 bucks 😎

Can you link the Creative mini DIN ---> DIN MIDI cables you bought (if there are more of them), the ones I find always seem to be $17 - $20 for a single cable, with expensive US or Canadian shipping.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Can you link the Creative mini DIN ---> DIN MIDI cables you bought (if there are more of them), the ones I find always seem to be $17 - $20 for a single cable, with expensive US or Canadian shipping.

Sorry I just got lucky, the seller doesn't seem to have any more. You could ask though I guess, here's the auction link:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172167154145?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 6 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Sorry I just got lucky, the seller doesn't seem to have any more. You could ask though I guess, here's the auction link:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172167154145?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks, I doubt he has more cables as he dosn't seem to sell much stuff.

I guess I have to build my own cables as I'm too cheap to buy the expensive ones. 😀

This mini DIN connector looks good.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php … roducts_id=6590

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 11, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using an SCC-1 cable with an Audigy 2 for years which, as is obvious by now, has worked without issue though mine does not appear to connect the additional two pins anywhere. Means nothing as the Audigy wouldn't use them anyway, only some obscure manufacturer specific stuff ever made use of those.

It is about the only legitimate use I have found for the SCC-1 in all the years I have had it. They should have just put a bunch of those cables in that ugly yellow box and called it done.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

It is about the only legitimate use I have found for the SCC-1 in all the years I have had it. They should have just put a bunch of those cables in that ugly yellow box and called it done.

Huh? It's a fantastic board, for both its intelligent mode interface that's better integrated than LAPC-I's (smaller card, no external adapter weirdness, no -5V requirement) and the best GS/GM compatibility around including capital tone fallback.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Although I generally defer to your knowledge of all things MIDI, I see the SCC-1 and a sound card hosted MPU-401 UART plus SC-55 as an apples and oranges comparison.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder