VOGONS

First post, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

I have a lil problem, no drivers seems to work for my HD4650 on XP SP3 32bits. I tried the official catalyst from amd website ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop … erOnServer=true ), the install seemed to work but the driver wasn't installed. There is an html report generated and it claims the driver can't be installed since it's not digitally signed.

Then i tried the catalyst hotfix for agp cards (http://support.amd.com/de-de/kb-articles/Page … tAGPHotfix.aspx), it correctly showed the Windows driver install popup, copied all the files but then black screen with a blinking cursor (like DOS) when the program installs 'ATIODE.EXE' at the end of the progress bar. I'm forced to press the power button since at this point nothing responds. Next boot is like no driver was installed, still the microsoft default VGA adapter.

I already tried several things like resetting my overclocking, disable AGP fast writes, set AGP in 2x mode, didn't changed anything. Motherboard is an Asus P3V4X, Via Apollo Pro 133A chipset. CPU is a PIII coppermine 933, 512mb ram

I don't know what to do now. I saw several guys on youtube with hd4650 and Pentium 3, so I guess it's not a problem with the lack of SSE2 for the drivers. Do you have any ideas ?

Reply 2 of 6, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't worry about it.
Download driver, and let it unpack to ATI(AMD)\Support\"whateverversionyouuse" folder.
Then, exit installer and go to Device Manager.
Pick your "VGA Compatible" device (that should be your GPU), and from it's propietes pick Update Driver.
When ask for Autoinstall/Manual - pick Manual
When ask about driver folder, pick "I will pick driver to install" option.
Then you click on "Have a disk" and you browse to folder where installer unpacked itself.
Deault is : "OS drive":\ATI\Support\"whateverversionyoupicked"\Packages\Drivers\Display\
"whateverOSyouareusing"\xxxxx.inf
After you pick that file, in next window you should get list of compatible devices.
If setup didn't find your gpu, you have to pick it yourself from list (it's either listed as "4650" or "4600 series").
Confirm you want to install that driver and let setup do it's thing.
After it's done, restart your PC, and you should be good to go.

ALWAYS let the unsigned driver install.

If that doesn't help, it may be a dead GPU, OR (more likely) MB isn't compatible eith that card.
Remember that DX10 series cards all have PCI-e to AGP bridge chip on PCB.
If your MBs BIOS doesn't like it - GPU will not work correctly regardless of what you do.

PS. HD 4650 driver is too CPU heavy to use that GPU efficiently.
You would be better off with X1950 Pro in that PIII setup.

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 6, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your answers,

At first it seemed better with the manufacturer driver since it completed the installation. It's this one : https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/AH4650DI1GD2/

But I got a black screen at the next boot. Same black screen as with the previous driver but during boot. I can still boot in fail-safe mode. Uninstalled it and tried again, this time with .NET framework installed since I had a message telling me the catalyst drivers need them, but same result, either black screen or windows discards the driver and fallbacks to its default vga driver.

I feel a bit unlucky. I'll try with another motherboard, i have an oem 'Gateway' one which is based on 440BX, but i doubt it will work, it's older than the via 133A chipset

Reply 4 of 6, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure you can't use HD 4650 on 440BX because that chipset doesn't support 1,5V AGP (it's 3,3V only), and your card requires AGP 1,5V or lower to work (check notches on AGP port and AGP slot before installing).

However I can be wrong...

157143230295.png

Reply 6 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
okenido wrote:
Thank you for your answers, […]
Show full quote

Thank you for your answers,

At first it seemed better with the manufacturer driver since it completed the installation. It's this one : https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/AH4650DI1GD2/

But I got a black screen at the next boot. Same black screen as with the previous driver but during boot. I can still boot in fail-safe mode. Uninstalled it and tried again, this time with .NET framework installed since I had a message telling me the catalyst drivers need them, but same result, either black screen or windows discards the driver and fallbacks to its default vga driver.

I feel a bit unlucky. I'll try with another motherboard, i have an oem 'Gateway' one which is based on 440BX, but i doubt it will work, it's older than the via 133A chipset

Is the screen black entirely or is it just extremely dark in such a way that it is unusable? I once had an issue with an extremely dark screen with my ATI Radeon 6370M and the Catalyst drivers, so I went into Safe Mode and I changed the brightness settings in the registry, which fixed the problem for me. At first I thought as well that the screen was black, but when I looked better, I noticed that the screen was extremely dark instead of black. 😜

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM