VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where can i find ( and what is name) of a plastic tool for removing a socket7 CPU in a non ziff socket? I not want to use a screwdriver

tnks

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea about name or where to find. I have one with "Kingston" on it (evidently from one of their Evergreen products). Tbh though, I'd just as soon use a knife. Use a plastic knife if you want to be sure you don't damage stuff.

Reply 2 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought only socket 1 came in non zif then eveything after was zif and had a leaver?

this is the tool for removing non zif socket cpus, maybye those numbers will help you track it down

1600px-Intel_CPU_removal_tool.jpg

Reply 3 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor tool.
s-l300.jpg

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor […]
Show full quote

Let's be realistic, it's hard to find specific Intel tools. Therefore you should settle on the next best thing - chip extractor tool.
s-l300.jpg

That one is intended to remove PLCC chips from their sockets. This one might make it a bit easier:

410wPTwh9GL._AC_SY400_.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 6 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything socket 3 + is a zif with a leaver

IMG-20190617-215253.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I had used an extractor tool on a recent 8088 pull, I'm guessing it's still functional put I did a number on one row of pins.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:
the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything s […]
Show full quote

the Intel tool grips the first row of pins on socket 7, but I am curious is this a custom socket? as far as I know everything socket 3 + is a zif with a leaver

IMG-20190617-215253.jpg

Its a socket7 NON ZIF coming from a SBC where the space is very important. I think is not really uncommon, is like a 386DX socket but with a Pentium pin number.

Reply 9 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an alternative, have you tried modding an old expansion slot cover?

cover.jpg
Filename
cover.jpg
File size
21.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You could even Dremel in a few teeth if it would make it better.