VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this card today.
Besides the use in profissional audio software, theres any use for basic win98 gaming?
Will be better than a typical C-Media CMI8738?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1 of 18, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will work fine for "basic gaming" in Win98, but it doesn't support any 'gamer' features like A3D, EAX, etc. or ANY DOS-mode compatibility whatsoever. For MIDI music, unless you connect an external synth, you're limited to either the MS GM/GS soundset or running a softsynth like the Yamaha S-YXG100 (which is what I use.) That said, the drivers are pretty good & have lots of options to configure.

It's actually a good choice for getting lossless digital audio out of a Win98 box, and the MIDI implimentation is really solid, as you'd expect.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 18, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this card problematic on VIA chipsets like the SB lives?
Did you use together with a ISA soundcard?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.

Reply 3 of 18, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had any issues with it in my KT266-based Athlon XP box.

Considering it's based on the Envy24, which is a VIA chip itself, you'd hope it'd play nicely.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 18, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I plan use alongside a Sb32 with 8mb + vIa c3 cpu.
Will be my Xmas build! 🤣

Reply 5 of 18, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, no reason it shouldn't work since AFAIK the M-Audio card doesn't use any "legacy" (DMA, etc.) resources.
I don't have an ISA slot in the PC I used it in, so I never tried.

Reply 6 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have one of these in my retro room desktop PC, as I hate 3.5mm jacks and I only really use it for music. When it comes to that it does the job excellently, with sky-high SNR and zero troubles in either Linux (where it works out of the box) or Windows.

Reply 7 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some drivers support basic A3D and EAX through Sensaura's software emulation, but that's not really this card's forte.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 18, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

IIRC it has no Windows 10 support?

It worked for me in Windows 7 x64, so I see no reasons it wouldn't work in Windows 10.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 10 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

IIRC it has no Windows 10 support?

It worked for me in Windows 7 x64, so I see no reasons it wouldn't work in Windows 10.

The Windows 7 x64 drivers no longer work with Windows 10 after the recent build updates.

Refer here for more: https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/topics/au … ver?full_site=1

Apparently some people had success with using ASIO4ALL drivers but that's less than ideal.

It sucks but it's unusable with a current Windows 10 build. With Windows 7 (and 8.x using 7 drivers) and Linux, it works perfectly though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad M-Audio does not give a shit about updating the Win7 driver. Like, at all.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Too bad M-Audio does not give a shit about updating the Win7 driver. Like, at all.

You can hardly blame M-Audio if upstream Via also dropped support for their entire audio products range after Win7.

Reply 15 of 18, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2019-12-05, 02:31:

Some drivers support basic A3D and EAX through Sensaura's software emulation, but that's not really this card's forte.

Did you have theses drivers or the original cd?
The lastest driver on official site needs use direct x8.1.

Reply 16 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you see if the Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 drivers work?
https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/ … formation/1802/

Reply 17 of 18, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-02, 19:59:

Can you see if the Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 drivers work?
https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/ … formation/1802/

The downlaod link sems dead for me.
I found this one:
https://www.solodrivers.com/en/driver/55828/S … -Fire-24-96-WDM
The drivre version is 5.4

Last edited by MKT_Gundam on 2020-01-03, 11:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let me know how it goes. M-Audio also included Sensaura with their Revolution cards, but the 2496 was always meant for the home studio people.