VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DoomSlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a copy of Blood 1 and was wondering if there is a way to get its cutscenes working in MS-DOS. They work fine in win 98, but I find that the game over all runs better when playing in DOS and non 640x480 resolutions work better as well. It's version 1.0 if that has anything to do with it. (as a side note, if anyone knows where I can download the patch to upgrade to 1.21 then that would be greatly appreciated). I've tried moving the Movie folder into the game directory and fixing the ini file. (they do work this way in windows, so I know I configured it correctly, but not in dos). Other than that I don't know what could do to get it to work. It may just be that cutscenes don't work in MS-DOS, which sucks.

I also want to point out I don't get the same splash screens in dos that I get in windows. It's like it's playing a low resource version of the splash screen. Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 9, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Updates are here: https://web.archive.org/web/20090503054652/ht … blood.lith.com/

Then try these settings

Attachments

• Filename
    SETTINGS.ZIP
    File size
    4.79 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DoomSlinger wrote on 2022-05-28, 00:21:

I also want to point out I don't get the same splash screens in dos that I get in windows. It's like it's playing a low resource version of the splash screen. Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure you're running the same exe file?

Reply 3 of 9, by DoomSlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2022-05-28, 09:00:
DoomSlinger wrote on 2022-05-28, 00:21:

Are you sure you're running the same exe file?

Yes, it is the same exe file. It's the same install, I just have that pc set up to dual boot between ms dos and win98.

held wrote on 2022-05-28, 06:48:

Updates are here: https://web.archive.org/web/20090503054652/ht … blood.lith.com/

Then try these settings

Did not work

EDIT: I've recorded 2 videos of me launching the game, one in dos and one in win98 so you can see the difference. It's launched using the same file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_2YUHILaFhpM … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 4 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

D:\3DREALMS
E:\3DREALMS

If the random warez copy I found is any indicator, blood.ini references absolute paths, so when you fixed it did you change to new absolute paths, or tried using relative paths (might not work)? Tried reinstalling in DOS?

Also as for the "low resource" thing seems like it's only running in a window? Right click the file > properties > screen > change to full-screen.

Edit: it doesn't work without the 1.11 patch in DOSBox either. So just patch the game?

Reply 5 of 9, by DoomSlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-29, 14:47:
D:\3DREALMS E:\3DREALMS […]
Show full quote

D:\3DREALMS
E:\3DREALMS

If the random warez copy I found is any indicator, blood.ini references absolute paths, so when you fixed it did you change to new absolute paths, or tried using relative paths (might not work)? Tried reinstalling in DOS?

Also as for the "low resource" thing seems like it's only running in a window? Right click the file > properties > screen > change to full-screen.

Edit: it doesn't work without the 1.11 patch in DOSBox either. So just patch the game?

Ok, patching the game worked (I didn't have time to test that last night)

Also, the reason it shows 2 different drives is because there is a 50gb partition that doesn't show up in dos that is the ACTUAL D drive. so the D drive in dos gets moved to E

Reply 6 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC DOS cutscenes were fixed in the 1.10 patch.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DoomSlinger wrote on 2022-05-29, 17:19:

Also, the reason it shows 2 different drives is because there is a 50gb partition that doesn't show up in dos

This is one of the reasons why Win9x's DOS is usually preferred to MS-DOS 6.x or earlier.

Reply 8 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote on 2022-06-06, 17:16:
DoomSlinger wrote on 2022-05-29, 17:19:

Also, the reason it shows 2 different drives is because there is a 50gb partition that doesn't show up in dos

This is one of the reasons why Win9x's DOS is usually preferred to MS-DOS 6.x or earlier.

Yeah, but don't forget about Windows 95 prior OSR2 which like older standalone MS-DOS versions, it doesn't support FAT32 partitions.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-06-06, 20:52:

Yeah, but don't forget about Windows 95 prior OSR2 which like older standalone MS-DOS versions, it doesn't support FAT32 partitions.

Yes, but to be honest I never used Windows 95 version early enough not to have FAT32 support, which is why I did not think of it.
Back in the day I jumped from DOS 6.22 + WfW 3.11 straight into 95 OSR2.

(the longer story is 3.11 -> 95OSR2 -> 98SE -> XP -> Vista -> 7 -> 10 😜)