VOGONS

First post, by tjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, could you please add a way to connect dosbox's IPX-over-UDP to Qemu?

I'm trying to play Master of Orion 2 against human players scattered all over the world. The game runs reasonably fast in Win95/Qemu, but impossibly slow in Dosbox on my iBook G4 (both using OS X 10.3.9 and Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1 LTS). However, everybody else on x86 machines is using Dosbox with core=dynamic.

Of course, ethernet and IPX are totally different network layers. Is it concievable to flesh out Dosbox's IPX code and execute it under Win95 to make it provide IPX over the native Windows TCP/IP stack? Encapsulating UDP packets would then travel dosbox-internet-qemu-win95-IPXcode.

A second idea that comes to my layman mind is: Qemu already provides ethernet bridging, conveniently tunneled over TCP. In the forums, I found a patch that claims to make dosbox talk IPX to boxes running dos natively. Is it somehow possible to make dosbox talk IPX to a tun/tap device provided by, say, OpenVPN; then tunnel these IPX packets via OpenVPN to the mac; use Qemu's ethernet bridging to get them inside the emulated network and in there use native Windows IPX support to get them to the game. This approach would limit the iBook to Linux, as OS X does not provide tun/tap devices for ethernet bridging.

I've already tried executing Dosbox inside Qemu/Win95b, it crashes immediately complaining about a missing DLL (installing it did not help). And I doubt performance will be great if I nest Qemu and Dosbox.

Related forum theads:
Native IPX support //IPX to native DOS
DOSBox vs. Qemu running win98 // dosbox/PPC slow
Dosbox and IPX/SPX support // no SPX
DosBox Speed Issues MacOs X // dosbox/PPC slow
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/05/dosbox-guide.html

As I lask the necessary coding abilities, I would greatly appreciate if somebody added the possibility to connect Dosbox and Qemu.

Last edited by tjr on 2006-09-29, 12:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I've heard that dynamic for PPC is being worked on so that would be your best bet instead of hacking together a solution. It's best for all players to be using the same solution instead of some hacked together one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline