List of open-source PC hardware projects

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 123, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For half a second I was excited, was hoping it was an adjustable PLL

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41 of 123, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ISA EEPROM flashing card...

Not sure of licensing on this one, by publication in this form we may assume I think that one has the right to build it for personal non-commercial use, probably the PCB layout is copyrighted though, so would advise respinning that if you want to make more than personal requirement. http://web.archive.org/web/20050403215640/htt … er/flasheng.htm

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42 of 123, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-11, 14:33:

ISA EEPROM flashing card...

Not sure of licensing on this one, by publication in this form we may assume I think that one has the right to build it for personal non-commercial use, probably the PCB layout is copyrighted though, so would advise respinning that if you want to make more than personal requirement. http://web.archive.org/web/20050403215640/htt … er/flasheng.htm

Original article is still online at https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Pannenhelfer-286064.html in german.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 43 of 123, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great! Also searching ISA brings up a lot of interesting stuff.

Reply 47 of 123, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retro OTA Broadcaster to send Composite Video + Stereo Audio to an old CRT that only has an antenna. Programmable via I2C for which channel frequency you want. (VHF, up to 3 channels switchable via the jumper block -- use only one jumper in the vertical position to select channel -- A maps to CLK0, B maps to CLK1, C maps to CLK2 when programming chip U3) Range is short, maybe 50 feet or so. Check legality of broadcasting on the frequency you choose to program it to. It's made to connect a short F-type coax antenna to for broadcasting, so a small extendable whip antenna will be fine. Uses a 5VDC 5.5x2.1mm jack power supply (1A or greater).

Based on the Isotope Engineering PiMod-Zero for the RF circuit, my Full Can Clock Oscillator project, and the Wideband RF Power Amplifier datasheet for chip U2 and antenna output on the board.

Not tested, boards and parts ordered.

SJE2VDG.png

Attachments

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 48 of 123, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@wiretap As cool as that project is, wouldn't it always be preferable to solder a bypass in the CRT's circuitry to feed a composite signal directly into it, without going through the tuner? Extreme purists might disapprove, but adding a composite mod to TVs that only had RF inputs would be a period-correct thing for tech-savvy tinkerers to do, even back in the day, right?

I guess it might be still be cool to play with if you want to do some actual broadcasting, though.

Reply 49 of 123, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course going directly into the CRT's circuitry would work, if you wanted to tear apart the TV and trace it down. Most people don't want to do that though.

My Github

Reply 50 of 123, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2021-09-09, 07:45:

@wiretap As cool as that project is, wouldn't it always be preferable to solder a bypass in the CRT's circuitry to feed a composite signal directly into it, without going through the tuner? Extreme purists might disapprove, but adding a composite mod to TVs that only had RF inputs would be a period-correct thing for tech-savvy tinkerers to do, even back in the day, right?

I guess it might be still be cool to play with if you want to do some actual broadcasting, though.

Need a repro "Pickles and Trout" board or something, not that it looks terribly complicated, the info of where in each set to hook it up is probably more valuable... https://hackaday.com/2021/07/27/black-and-whi … al-input-board/

Edit: Don Lancaster in his classic work "The TV Typewriter Cookbook" expounds upon methods to get video into a TV in Chapter 8... tinaja.com is his website and he offers this free download of his book in pdf format. https://www.tinaja.com/ebooks/tvtcb.pdf

Edit2: We have some current experimenters like Jorge, whose schematics speak the universal language of electronics in his video, even if youtube autotranslate mangles his Spanish a little. Re: HOMEDADE CGA&

Reply 51 of 123, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking for a wavetable board for my sound card and found it.

https://github.com/hkzlab/DWAVE_MIDI_Wavetable

dwave.jpg
Filename
dwave.jpg
File size
151.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 52 of 123, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also made a SMD xtal adapter for old boards with DIP sockets, but it was just a side project to fill free space on 10 x 10cm panel 😀
I also finished and tested my 4MB WRAM memory expansion module for Matrox Milllennium II (fixed ver 1.1), mentioned in this thread:
Re: Matrox Millennium II 16MB - exists? If so, why?

Attachments

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 54 of 123, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess we can add the PicoPSU to AT adapter to the list: ATX to AT pico Adapter! + Fan Headers Soft on/off, -5v, and 3.3v (Released)

front-3d.png
Filename
front-3d.png
File size
48.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
back-3d.png
Filename
back-3d.png
File size
73.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github

Reply 55 of 123, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2022-02-23, 14:34:

I guess we can add the PicoPSU to AT adapter to the list: ATX to AT pico Adapter! + Fan Headers Soft on/off, -5v, and 3.3v (Released)

front-3d.png

back-3d.png

I wish someone would make similar but ATX-ATX adapter with -5v. That would be neat. Or something like that smart ATX-AT adapter, but for ATX mobos.

Reply 56 of 123, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, a PCB with 2 Connectors and just a 7905 is bit useless/expensive.
You can simply buy 2x 0805 Capacitor, solder it on 7905 legs and solder -12V to In, -5V to Out and GND to GND.
And put Stuff inside shrink tubing.
Less then 2-2,50€

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 58 of 123, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

front-3d.png

back-3d.png

Did we ever figure out how to get flat pin to fit this?

At OP:

Re: New clock gen for tyan s1564d

Low Profile PCI Riser For AT/ATX Motherboards (Research)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Motherboard) Tweaker (Released)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Processor Shim) Tweaker (Released)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Released)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 59 of 123, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-28, 04:52:
Did we ever figure out how to get flat pin to fit this? […]
Show full quote

front-3d.png

back-3d.png

Did we ever figure out how to get flat pin to fit this?

At OP:

Re: New clock gen for tyan s1564d

Low Profile PCI Riser For AT/ATX Motherboards (Research)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Motherboard) Tweaker (Released)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Processor Shim) Tweaker (Released)

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Released)

There was never any right angle flat pin female board mount connector manufactured. The solution is to swap out the motherboard side connector, or use the adapter on a board that already has the square pin connector.

My Github