VOGONS

3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

Topic actions

Reply 1480 of 2154, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@pshipkov

Took another gander at the QDI board and discovered some interesting things.
Details are in the now-updated original post, but long story short: VLB EIDE perf is excellent w/ a Promise EIDE 2300 v3 and 2GB Verbatim CF card.
You were dead on about the cache chips! After some swapping, things were fine in Windows.
Tested again with the originals--also fine. Just goes to show how cranky this old hardware can be 🤣

Interesting note regarding the POD100 at 3.3v on other boards. Mind sharing which ones, if you recall?
I bet that there's something BIOS- or hardware-related regarding its status as an OverDrive on later boards.
For Socket 2, which was 5v only but OverDrive compatible, the onboard regulator was certainly necessary.
For Socket 3, perhaps it was not? I wonder if there's any real documentation on this.
The POD manual I have only references Socket 2 as the "ZIF OverDrive socket." It does not even acknowledge Socket 3.

SiS471 board arrived dead as a doornail, so next up is something different.
As you said, I've got a bit in the pipeline to share here, and I'm excited to see what you all think 😀
Haven't forgotten about the LAN tests. Want to see how that BocaLAN VL card does vs a standard 3COM ISA card. Should be a fun one.
Planning a detour from this 486 hardware testing spree to visit some Socket 5 VLB boards, and some early Socket 7 boards.
Hoping to finish strong with late (pre-)Super Socket 7 hardware. Cyrix, IDT, AMD, and Intel will be showing their CPUs' chops here/there.
Really looking forward to those XT boards and 486 boards coming down the pipeline, in the meanwhile! 😁

--------
@CoffeeOne

Interesting theory. This would make sense.
Given that the POD is at its core a 3v CPU, I wonder if disabling the voltage regulator was an intended feature?
Perhaps at some point Intel leaned into the Socket 3 spec and accounted for the additional 3v support not present in Socket 2?

Enjoy that PVI! Sounds like a nice one. 😀

--------
@Chadti99

I've seen a few of these J-BOND parts before. Interesting assemblies.
They almost look a bit too "new" for their vintage.
Sort of have that "modern" retro replacement/new-retro vibe, like the NuXT.
Interested to see how it does. 1024k L2 and SiS496/497 sounds fun. 😁

Here's some more info, if you haven't checked here yet: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/j-bond-pci400c-c

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 1481 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going to add that QDI guy to the wide POD100 post in the coming days.
Do you have WinTune2 results from the now working Windows ?

L2 cache is the biggest source of drama with 486 hardware.

Didn't keep track of which Socket 3 motherboards handle POD100 directly without the need for voltage adjustments but i know that there are quite a few of them so this is not an exception or one-off case.

Sorry to hear about the DOA 471. Maybe bend it around some - sometimes that helps getting the lights on.

---

I wish i had friends who give me rare vintage hardware for free.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1482 of 2154, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-10-31, 01:28:
-------- @Chadti99 […]
Show full quote

--------
@Chadti99

I've seen a few of these J-BOND parts before. Interesting assemblies.
They almost look a bit too "new" for their vintage.
Sort of have that "modern" retro replacement/new-retro vibe, like the NuXT.
Interested to see how it does. 1024k L2 and SiS496/497 sounds fun. 😁

Here's some more info, if you haven't checked here yet: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/j-bond-pci400c-c

Thanks! Updated to the latest bios and followed the jumper guide in the included readme and was able to get L1 WB going! Now having issues with my storage, which I think is just a bad part.

I’ve got one of my best dram modules on here and some of those shady 10ns cache modules and timings aren’t all that great so far @60MHz.

Reply 1483 of 2154, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright here are some results on this J-Bond PCI400C-C

AM5x86 180MHz (60x3)
1024K cache 10ns? 313 timings
16MB Fastest timings
Riva128
L1 WB, L2 WT
!Not confirmed Windows stable
*manually setting RAS to CAS to 2 with TweakBios

Dosbench results:
2.) 3D Bench: 99.9 *100.1
3.) Chris 3D VGA: 75.6 *75.8
4.) Chris 3D SVGA: 23.2
5.) PCP VGA: 29.6 *30
6.) PCP SVGA: 12.3 *12.4
B.) Doom Max: 1157 *1154
C.) Quake: 20.1 *20.2

Attachments

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2022-11-02, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1484 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird BIOS settings, but i also noticed that on some 486 mobos RAS-to-MA (EDIT: initially i mistakenly wrote RAS-to-CAS) must be 2 (or more).
Good chance you are hitting less than ideal L2 cache chips, but sometimes the motherboard itself is the limitation.
Hard to say really until good effort is put in the chips to rule out issues with them.

Otherwise at 3x60 the numbers are not that bad really.
Not the fastest board, but the 3-1-3 L2 cache timings are holding it back.

It will be interesting to know if Windows is happening at these BIOS settings.
Also, what is the local storage performance, assuming CF card is used ?

Last edited by pshipkov on 2022-11-01, 04:22. Edited 1 time in total.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1485 of 2154, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing of interest, this is the first socket3 board I’ve come across where I could set the RAS to MA delay to 1 but it actually resulted in slightly worse performance.

I’m using an SD Card adapter for storage, performance is in line with the LSD, right around 6MB/sec without drivers. I always forget to take pics of storage performance.

Reply 1486 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pravetz CPU-12 also know as Juko ST (super turbo) - an 8088 Turbo XT motherboard.
It actually goes by several other names but CPU-12 is written on the silk screen of the one here so i go by that.

Apparently a popular hardware back in its day since it still shows-up frequently on ebay.
There are at least 2 or 3 models with different RAM sockets (types, placement, amount).
The one presented here should be the latest model of the series.

Installed 640Kb RAM, 80ns rated chips and an improvised crystal oscillator socket assembled from 2 female pints (the ones commonly used in machined 386 CPU sockets - not sure if they have specific name).

motherboard_xt_juko_cpu-12.jpg

System works flawlessly at the default 10Mhz. Nothing much to add really.
Couple of screenshots from some of the tests with NEC V20 processor:
juko_cpu-12_stats_10mhz.jpg

Overclocks pretty well to 13.5MHz with 16MHz rated NEC V20 CPU.
Can reach 15MHz without FPU but the system is not fully stable and of no interest for further testing.
Couple more screenshots with some of the test:
juko_cpu-12_stats_13.5mhz.jpg
Notice the Superscape screen corruption.
No other apps/games exhibited such problems.

Past the 13.5MHz mark POST does not complete.
Around 15MHz frequency - no lights.

benchmark results

Juko CPU-12/ST is clock to clock slower than the other two 8088 ones but overclocks better than them which results in higher peak performance.

---

Somebody made a contribution in private related to this post.

Apparently these Juko ST boards were used in Bulgarian XT clonings in the 80ies and 90ies.
Some pages from the manual in native language:
motherboard_xt_juko_cpu-12_page1.jpg
motherboard_xt_juko_cpu-12_page2.jpg
motherboard_xt_juko_cpu-12_page3.jpg
motherboard_xt_juko_cpu-12_page4.jpg

Notes:
-----

Normal/Turbo modes:
i8088: 4.77MHz / 8MHz
V20: 4.77MHz / 12MHz

RAM configurations:
Supports 256k x 1, 64k x 4, 1Mb x 1.
The diagram on page 1 shows the supported combinations.

Control switches:
SW1 - parity check on/off
SW2 - 8087 on/off
SW3/4 - on/on:0Kb, off/on:512Kb, on/off:640Kb, off/off:1Mb
SW5/6 - on/on:EGA, off/on:CGA(40x26), on/off:CGA(80:25), off/off:monochrome
SW7/8 - on/on:1, off/on:2, on/off:3, off/off:4

Jumpers:
XP2 - processor type - closed:V20, open:i8088-2
XP3 - RAM wait-states - closed:1, open:0
XP5 - turbo - closed:on, open:off
XP7 - keyboard - closed:locked, open:unlocked

Thanks @Vex !

Last edited by pshipkov on 2024-04-20, 07:18. Edited 7 times in total.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1487 of 2154, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can, try to get the v30 version of the juko. It should be called “NEST”. If the manual is to be believed, the isa slots run in a sync mode at 4.77mhz regardless of cpu speed. I have yet to confirm it, but if true might allow more reliable overclocking.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1488 of 2154, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over the years I've seen many references to some 'Issi' 10ns 32kx8 SRAMs that people were getting from ebay. The general consensus seems to be these are remarks but they work as intended.

Could someone please DM me a link to where to acquire such chips? Thanks

Reply 1489 of 2154, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-11-01, 14:52:

Over the years I've seen many references to some 'Issi' 10ns 32kx8 SRAMs that people were getting from ebay. The general consensus seems to be these are remarks but they work as intended.

Could someone please DM me a link to where to acquire such chips? Thanks

Are you mixing up with 10ns 128kx8 SRAMs? 128kB SRAM from ISSI is: IS61C1024-10
I don't think IS61C256 (32kx8 from ISSI) with 10ns are offered, but now I see a lot of 32kx8 with 12ns

Reply 1491 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Anonymous Coward
The NEST models are rare. Recently saw one as part of an entire computer for way over $2000 - unreasonable price for useless old stuff.
Was thinking to swap the reference 14.31816MHz oscillator with a faster one and see what happens.
The high-mark in this regard (in my opinion) is Tandy 1000 SL. It has decoupled ISA bus and provides the ability to switch it between 4.77 / 9.54 MHz ... from BIOS.

@maxtherabbit - sent you a link.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1492 of 2154, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a hair more performance with the PCI400C-C board using TweakBios to manually set “RAS to CAS” from 3 to 2. Not sure why this is missed in the bios. Updated my post from earlier.

Also tried every cache timing possibility and it just won’t budge past 313 to boot.

In other news, can someone explain what happened in this auction? Is the SP3 that sought after?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285010990834?mkcid=1 … emis&media=COPY

Let me know if this is too far off topic.

Reply 1493 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That constant 3-1-3 wait states situation does not sound encouraging.
Looks like a motherboard limitation. Can be related to the 1Mb L2 cache size.
Recently hit another board like this.
1Mb L2 cache - 313.
256Kb - 212.

Asus PVI-486SP3 latest revision 1.22 is simply great (as stated numerous times already), but $636 for it ? I don't know ...
Recently Asus VLI-486SV2GX4 2.0 sold for about the same price.
Don't have good explanation. Can be the inflation + thin inventory + Cyrix CPU + SCSI card. Maybe justified if you look at it that way.
In 2019 SP3 was gravitating around $150-$250. In 2017 it was $100.
These days even clunky PC-Chips M919 commands $350 which makes even less sense than the Asus prices.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1494 of 2154, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@pshipkov

WinTune2 score was added to the main post, but only used ARK1000VL at the moment.
With Am5x86-160: 7963 KPixels/sec (7906 KPixels/sec @ POD100)

Really like that wide POD100 post! Interesting stuff. Lots of neat boards I've never seen/heard of.
Kinda wild that some late assemblies like the LS486E Rev. F struggled so.
Seems like a big step down from the Rev. C2 and Rev. D.

Good to know that other boards support the POD with 3v from the onboard VRM.
Perhaps there's something in the POD spec that allows for this?
Interesting stuff, nonetheless.

Going to have to shake, rattle, and roll with this SiS471 board. Really want to see it live.
Will keep you apprised, but have something else in the meanwhile 😁

----

Really liking the XT post here. These Juko boards are very nice. Neat and clean.
Although clock-for-clock not that impressive, it seems to turn up the heat at 13.5MHz. Pretty nice.
SuperScape seems really sensitive with regards to ISA timings and bus clock.
Any clue if ISA is asynch on this board at 4.77MHz, like on the NEST?
Pretty neat to see that these boards were in Bulgarian XT clones.

One thing I'm curious about is swapping that 13.31816MHz oscillator. Those are generally a reference clock, right?
Wouldn't that interfere/interrupt floppy access, and mess with timings on ISA boards w/o such a reference?

That Tandy 1000SL is amazing. Really the high-mark indeed.

---------
@Chadti99

Glad you were able to make some use of the info on TRW! Their site is super useful for this kinda stuff.
Numbers look pretty dang nice for this board! Seems like RAS to CAS 2 helps.
Have you looked at the BIOS at all in ModBin to see about adding any settings re: RAS to CAS?

Regarding the SP3, I am not sure what to think.
That seller has been listing some high dollar value items, but the bidding wars have been intense.
To be fair, eBay has been dry on some things, for some time now, so perhaps that's part of it.
Agreed with @pshipkov on perhaps the Cyrix and SCSI cards plus the inflation aspect.
Cyrix 5x86s command crazy prices, even the 100MHz ones. Not sure why, as those are common-ish.
It's the 120s and 4x models that get real nuts, but there's fewer of those so I can understand that more.
It's funny too, because rare 6x86 parts like the 6x86-P200+ with Cyrix markings tend to sell comparatively for peanuts.
M919 prices are out of hand. I never picked one up, and really don't want to now.

The other thing that's really, really bad has been GUSes of all varieties.
Seems like they're really being overpriced due to a resurgence of hype.
Great cards, but wow. Crazy.
I would not buy one for the cost of a new Z790 board or 13900K or 7950X...

----------
@maxtherabbit

I have some of those 10ns parts and they work as intended, but they are about the same as any other 15ns part on average.
I'd say some real 12ns parts would be "better," but 15ns is generally more than enough for most use cases.
I have noticed some boards are not completely happy with these chips.
Depends on the board though. The one I was testing has the OPTi Python chipset, which is a bit cumbersome as-is.
Could be partly because some of them are only 5v tolerant, 3.3v parts re-marked as 5v parts. But that's my guess.

==========================

Decided to try something new here. Been talking a lot about VLB boards. Tried a few Pentium boards.
Why not smash them together?

The Culprit: SuperMicro's P54VL-PCI

p54vlpci-wjg6260-62c73e543319f747632952.jpg
Filename
p54vlpci-wjg6260-62c73e543319f747632952.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Initial Thoughts: For an early Socket 5 board, dated to mid/late 1994, equipped with the universally infamous OPTi Cobra chipset, this board is positively fascinating. I mean that with all sincerity, and with all the hatred I can muster for the thing, because, for as awesome as it is to mate Pentiums and VLB, it is also completely asinine. Before saying much more, it is imperative to detail some things about the OPTi Cobra chipset itself, as these details are self-evident in this board's design. The OPTi Cobra is a 1992 solution, initially designed for Socket 4 and the Pentium 60/66. The Cobra (596/597)-unlike the earlier 571, meant for Socket 3 and grafted onto the Pentium and Socket 4-was a fully 64-bit solution, providing 64-bit cache and DRAM support, appropriate for the then cutting-edge 64-bit Pentium bus. The chipset provides a full "33MHz asynchronous VESA Local Bus implementation" and further provides for "ISA to Local bus command translation," amongst a whole host of other features found on "tamer" Pentium setups like the SiS50x and Intel 430LX, like PCI. Speaking of such, it provides PCI 2.0 support via the OPTi 82C822 bridge chip, sometimes seen in conjunction with more primitive 486 chipsets like the OPTi 895 and OPTi 802. One problem with the 82C822 is that it works in the reverse of what logic would dictate, at least in the case of this board. Given that it works on a 486, you can probably see where what I am about to say makes logical sense but also paradoxically makes little sense: VLB is the primary bus, and PCI is bridged to VLB as a second-class citizen, providing terrible PCI performance. Surprisingly, however, compatibility is quite good amongst a whole host of PCI cards, and while performance is bad, it's not that bad. To be frank, even the 430NX had PCI bugs (but, to be fair, it was miles better than this). The chipset itself provides for support for up to 2MB of Write Back L2 cache, but only 512k is supported on this board. In fact, to achieve 512k on this-and most other-Cobra boards, you need an astounding 17 32kx8 chips (1 TAG) and 1 16kx1 TAG. Excessive? Maybe. Cool? For sure. 😄

Onto the board itself. I bought this particular beast a few years ago. It is extremely basic and fairly rudimentary. I've upgraded it to 512k L2, and swapped in a Pentium OverDrive MMX 166, as the board can only-and I mean only-run a Pentium 90 or Pentium 100. The 1.5x multiplier is hardwired and can be modded, but for the sake of keeping things authentic, I went with the OverDrive. Another interesting note is that this board uses the "wrong chipset," in that it has an OPTi 546/597. The 546 is the first chip in the OPTi Python from 1993; it is likely that the 596 and 546 are identical/near-identical, as the numerous BIOSes for this board work with other variants of this board that have the "proper" 596 chip. The first signs of trouble, however, came when I could not get this board going with a WinChip or WinChip2, while I could do so with a board based on the 1993 OPTi Python VL Pentium chipset. I figured it had to be BIOS related, as the stock AMI WinBIOS is very slow and really lacks in performance even with things cranked to the max. I had dreams of finding the appropriate MR-BIOS for the OPTi596/597, so as to be able to run other chips on this board. User @jheronimus was provided a copy of a MR-BIOS for the Octek Bison III for the MR-BIOS archive here on the forum, and I used said BIOS on this board. It works GREAT.

Some brief comparisons led me to switching out the AMI BIOS, and I will share a few numbers here:

ARK1000VL, all timings tightest:
Superscape: ~45 fps
PC Player: ~22 fps

I stopped, dropped the AMI BIOS, and threw in the MR-BIOS. Wow. What a difference. The POD MMX 166 worked!

BIOS settings were as follows:

• MR-BIOS (massive perf uplift) - 586VHP
  • 512k L2 cache comprised of 17 32kx8 + 1 16kx1
  • Memory: 0ws Read/Write
  • Hidden Refresh Enabled
  • SRAM Read 4-2-2-2
  • SRAM Write 5-2-2-2
  • Write Back L1 and L2
  • VL-Bus Ready (LRDY) 0ws

Tested Peripheral Hardware:

• Promise EIDE2300+ v3
  • 2GB Verbatim CF card (used in all previous tests)
  • A few VL/PCI cards, shown below
  • 32MB 60ns FPM RAM (board does not take EDO)

A note: Using tighter SRAM timings is possible, but provided no tangible performance benefit and led to crashes in Superscape and DOOM. These timings provided the same results, without crashes.

Could not get 3D Studio R3 going...
I tried everything: lowering timings all the way, the AMI WinBIOS, and nada. No dice.
This is not surprising, as this chipset is not the most friendly and has been known to be quirky with certain software.
Think it's something with the VLB implementation, but just speculating based on things I see from user @Gona's website (scroll to the bottom for details).
Seems like these boards are just not quite 100% amicable when it comes to playing nice with certain software.
Seems like certain VLB cards won't even boot!

Testing with a POD MMX166 yielded the following results:
6KN-m-x_X8bczaomFYnxz5LRkIkgRNViqBPkda1Mal4-AVCwOz-fmeZLumeb8gBq4-U=w2400

W0ls6-G8g4Qz502xxA821Zq1nDUxKCSq_0RyE4dMshlzXHraFFtkZcfvRnR4EyvTJ74=w2400

v1cV20cndicuEYsZpR_ZPpxNpqL4Ab8RoDFuyTFqEord0EZYvyOu0QLl7aVgGcA8jnw=w2400

Thoughts:
PCI performance is clearly lacking.
Trio64 for Trio64, we see VLB is the way to go. This makes sense, given the design of this board.
VLB performance, however, is not bad. EIDE performance is decent.
Slower than on a 486/native-implementation, but not too bad.
We see a ~25% deficit there, compared with the OPTi895.
The CPU performance is okay.
The Pentium MMX 166 is kneecapped by this antiquated chipset and setup, but still fast enough.
Memory throughput is not "486" levels of "bad," but definitely not on par with earlier Pentium solutions.
It's more on par with VIA Apollo or ALi Aladdin I, which is not good, but not as bad as the 571 would have been.
Wolf3D numbers are subpar on PCI, mediocre on VLB. Superscape is more of the same.
Quake shines, however, but not quite to the level you'd think. Still 31.2 fps on an ARK1000VL is pretty solid 😀
DOOM is interesting. Mode X performance seems to tank heavily on the bridged PCI.
Curious to see if FastDOOM shows as much of a dropoff.
WinTune2 is more of the same. Good on VL, bad on PCI.
VLB compatibility is weird. ATi Mach64 did not want to start. No lights.

Moral of the story:
This board is a Frankenstein's monster of compatibility, but still has compatibility quirks.
It is not good for speed. It's not too slow with the right BIOS, but it won't get you anywhere real quick.
Definitely a squirrely one, but a fun one at that! 😀
Pentiums and VLB are not a match made in Heaven.
Although 30.2 fps in Quake on an ARK1000VL is worth it. (Barely beats a POD100 on Socket 3 hardware! 🤣)

Last edited by WJG6260 on 2022-11-08, 01:19. Edited 2 times in total.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 1495 of 2154, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great information. Learned new things about old things today.
A frankenboard for sure, but an interesting one.
(I notice you are attracted to these, eh ?)

Btw, the yellow bars make it hard to see the overlaid white numerical values.

---

Apparently LuckyStar went overboard with the cost cutting of revision F.

---

Unlike the NEST version the ISA bus is synchronous in Juko CPU-12 / ST, unfortunately.

Spent significant amount of time researching the 8086 class hardware.
Went with the Tandy 1000 SL guy after a long period of facts finding and considerations. Turned-out well.
The original post has details. Won't repeat them here.

---

Prices for "rare" or "sought" items will only go up.
The name of the game.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1496 of 2154, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-11-04, 01:53:

Could be partly because some of them are only 5v tolerant, 3.3v parts re-marked as 5v parts. But that's my guess.

gross, I certainly hope that's not the case

15ns performance would be adequate for the application I have in mind

Reply 1497 of 2154, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@phsipkov

Glad I could share some interesting oddities here!
Indeed, Frankenboards are my favorite. Something about cobbled-together hardware fascinates me in a way it should not.
Undoubtedly, it can be frustrating, but it’s always neat to see something working that otherwise shouldn’t 🤣

Will fix the chart later today. I actually would like to update this post with one/two other things.
Curious to see PCI IDE performance.

———
Was always under the impression the LS486E was a bit of a strange one. The Rev. D’s double-banked surface mounted L2 is pretty unique.
I’m still a bit surprised they had so many revisions. They must’ve sold these boards for a while.

———
Ah, I see! 13.5MHz ISA is impressive, to say the least. Can see why the NEST is a bit more “desirable” with respect to OC, but seems like the Juko and its 8088 can manage just fine.

Read through your Tandy saga. Very interesting and informative. Seems the 1000SL is pretty much the 8086 to get.

———
Only thing that could ever help keep prices manageable is community projects like the Argus. Would love to see new VL and PCI VGAs with FPGAs at their core. The new waveblasters have certainly kept MIDI boards accessible to the masses.

———
@maxtherabbit

Unfortunately, it’s an unknown. Just a theory, and I’ve read it on here before. I can say I’ve never had issues with my 10ns chips. They are 100% remarks, based on the various different silkscreens on the undersides. I think you’ll be okay with them.

I ordered 40, and 6 chips were bad. Not too awful. The rest have been solid!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 1498 of 2154, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got ahold of a Soyo 4SA2(stock photo). There is no jumper selectable 60MHz FSB but it has some flexible voltage settings which allowed me to get some 200MHz numbers from my 180MHz stable AM5x86 at 3.6volts. The default bios settings are a bit lacking so I used TweakBios to get the best numbers. Only the two lines in red were altered for the Quake score. A couple more options changed to hit the memory speeds seen. I’ll get a pic later.

Soyo 4SA2
AM5x86@200(50x4)
ARK1000 VLB 1ws jumper required for post.
Bios date of 96
L1 in WB
1024k 10ns? L2 in WB
16MB FPM
*Fastest cache and memory timings with TweakBios.
**TweakBios & SDD53 6.53-d

200MHz
2. 116.5 116.7**
3. 86.8 87**
4. 25.8 26* 26.4**
5. 34.1 34.4* 34.4**
6. 12.9 13.3* 13.4**
Quake 22.1 22.5* 22.9**
Doom DNF This specific CPU isnt 100% stable on air cooling.

200mhz
Riva128 PCI
2. 110.3*
3. 84.1*
4. 24.8*
5. 34*
6. 13.3*
B. Doom DNF
C. Quake 22.4

160MHz
ARK1000 1ws
2. 93.2
3. 69.4 69.6*
4. 20.7 20.8*
5. 27.3 27.5*
6. 10.4 10.7*
B. Doom Max 1223 1220*
C. 17.7 18.0*

MSI4144 200MHz for reference:
2. 110.6 3DBench Fast
3. 84.9 Chris VGA
4. 24.9 Chris SVGA
5. 34.3 PC Player VGA
6. 13.3 PC Player SVGA
1060 Doom Max
22.6 Quake 1.06 22.7* tweakbios

Attachments

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2022-11-12, 12:22. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1499 of 2154, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanted to offer this to the 486 hivemind, if it is not already known.

For the Am5x86 and other 45mm square processors, I found that this part combination from Mouser was readily available, not completely horrendously priced ($30 US or so), clips on straight away and has good performance.

- Advanced Thermal Solutions FanSINK assembly: ATS-61450R-C1-R0
- Sunon fan: ME45101V1-000U-A99

Anyhow - ready to roll off the shelf solution and totally stable at, at least 160MHz on my M919 board.

Obviously will not work for the POD's. But that is a separate conversation altogether.

Attachments