Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43580 of 52615, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:28:

Dude, sorry, really nerdy nitpicking, but, you need to go for the non-plus!

The "plus" has an emulations of the FM synthesis "OPL3" integrated, while the card of that Youtube video has the "LSL262" clone of the real Yamaha YMF-262 chip.

nope, we had this discussion here before 😁
it clearly has the OPL clone on there in the DIP chip

see: All the truth about FM in ALS100 Plus+ cards (includes facts, tech info and tests)

Reply 43581 of 52615, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:29:

It would be best to find a part number from someone who has a complete board already, to be absolutely sure.

I've got the manual and it lists the part numbers. Already ordered two. There's some pricey eBay listings for the PSU - good quality photos though, so assuming the wire colours are standard I might be able to figure something out.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 43582 of 52615, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:42:
nope, we had this discussion here before :D it clearly has the OPL clone on there in the DIP chip […]
Show full quote

The "plus" has an emulations of the FM synthesis "OPL3" integrated, while the card of that Youtube video has the "LSL262" clone of the real Yamaha YMF-262 chip.

see: All the truth about FM in ALS100 Plus+ cards (includes facts, tech info and tests)

L O L W U T ?

I'll have to check that out once I'm sober and non-hungover. Think there's a slot in September.

But if correct, Solo761, I take everything back and fiercely claim the opposite.
Also, "revelation" box checked for this decade.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43583 of 52615, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-29, 16:40:

I shared this with a friend. That's his response at the bottom.

Screenshot_20220329-123652_Discord_resize_54.jpg

4MB each 😀

Not spaceship grade - no shielding against alpha radiation, although I've had some shielded 30 pin SIMMs in my hands... (yeah, I know it was a joke but my inner nerd had to clarify this 😉 )

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 43585 of 52615, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dude, sorry, really nerdy nitpicking, but, you need to go for the non-plus! […]
Show full quote

The (original) ALS100 is pretty common and there are plenty of others to chose from:
http://www.amoretro.de/guides-workshops/opl2- … -und-nachbauten
(German, but transparent enough)

OK, sorry, that's a bit like spoiling a movie - the card will sound different, not worse. It just a conventional feature. Try it and compare some time, that's the fun of it 😉

Actually reason to get that one is that it should work OK in DOS and that it has waveblaster header because I plan to get one of those dreamblaster boards so FM systhesis was not a priority 😀.

This ALS100+ card has LS245 chip which according to the table is also OPL3 clone. I've googled a bit about it (and this model in particular) and consenus was that it's an OK card. They can in sound quality depending on PCB quality, this one is actually "MA5ASOUND GOLD" variant that shouldn't be bottom of the barrel so OK for me.

It also seems that ALS100+ chips are not that bad and different from ALS100, as one member that tested it said it's more like ALS100- because it like ALS100 but without high DMA.

All the truth about FM in ALS100 Plus+ cards (includes facts, tech info and tests)

imi wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:42:
nope, we had this discussion here before :D it clearly has the OPL clone on there in the DIP chip […]
Show full quote

Yup, that's the link 😁

Reply 43586 of 52615, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got this Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 for 10 EUR from my local classifieds:

Gainward_Ti4200.jpg
Filename
Gainward_Ti4200.jpg
File size
404.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Condition was unknown/untested and the stock cooler was full of dust and grime. I didn't dare fire up the card in that state, so I replaced the cooler with a DeepCool v65 after putting on a fresh coat of thermal paste. At first, the card wouldn't boot, just displaying a black screen. But after thoroughly cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, it came back to life! I ran some quick tests and everything seems to be working correctly. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with this bargain purchase.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 43587 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The issue with these small ALS100(+) cards is often that they are very poorly grounded or filtered ie noisy. I actually had and sold off quite a few ovee the tears for the reason.

I still keep this 007 though. I dont remember why, maybe I thought it was more bearable?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43588 of 52615, by TheChexWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got this as a gift from the "Start Retro Gaming store"

In Audim, near Natanya City, Israel.

A really heavy and fun joystick.

Attachments

Reply 43589 of 52615, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heavy tactical joystick..... hmmm which end do you hit them with? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43591 of 52615, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheChexWarrior wrote on 2022-03-30, 15:13:

Got this as a gift from the "Start Retro Gaming store"

In Audim, near Natanya City, Israel.

A really heavy and fun joystick.

Awesome! That looks very similar to the Suncom joystick; used to have one back in the day. I remember it being lots of fun in games like Mechwarrior and various flight sims.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 43592 of 52615, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-25, 22:02:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-02-25, 21:47:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-25, 21:36:

You can get custom cables made for your Seasonic power supply from any good vendors including on ebay.

Cheers,

Yes, and the prices aren't too bad, but it makes me sad that the originals were likely left in the box which was later thrown out because "What would I need these for?" I've two other modular power supplies that I've ended up with either for free or for cheap that have this issue - it's an unforeseen downside to modular power supplies.

You can probably even contact Seasonic directly and order cables from them. They have super excellent customer service last time I had to contact them.

Heavy sigh. I did contact Seasonic, and they were helpful, but the news wasn't good. They still have cables available for the SS-650KM3, but I have the older SS-650KM, and not only do they not have cables for it, they told me that the pinouts are different for the KM3. So now I'm left wondering if the Ebay cables for Seasonic power supplies will even work on this particular Seasonic? As someone once quipped "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them!"

I tried to use this PSU to test a motherboard yesterday, but the only CPU power cable I have for it is an eight pin to eight pin, and the motherboard's socket is the more usual four pin, so it wouldn't work. I then swapped in a SilverStone power supply that had the four pin CPU power cable, but no graphics card power cable. This was initially fine because I was going to use a graphics card with no external power, only it turned out that the motherboard (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe) didn't like two of the three graphics cards I have that don't use external power, presumably because the power draw was more than the slot could provide, and it wouldn't POST, just give one long beep and three short beeps. I want to test it with my GTS250, so I'll have to swap to yet another power supply.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 43593 of 52615, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:07:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-02-25, 21:47:

Yes, and the prices aren't too bad, but it makes me sad that the originals were likely left in the box which was later thrown out because "What would I need these for?" I've two other modular power supplies that I've ended up with either for free or for cheap that have this issue - it's an unforeseen downside to modular power supplies.

You can probably even contact Seasonic directly and order cables from them. They have super excellent customer service last time I had to contact them.

Heavy sigh. I did contact Seasonic, and they were helpful, but the news wasn't good. They still have cables available for the SS-650KM3, but I have the older SS-650KM, and not only do they not have cables for it, they told me that the pinouts are different for the KM3. So now I'm left wondering if the Ebay cables for Seasonic power supplies will even work on this particular Seasonic? As someone once quipped "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them!"

I tried to use this PSU to test a motherboard yesterday, but the only CPU power cable I have for it is an eight pin to eight pin, and the motherboard's socket is the more usual four pin, so it wouldn't work. I then swapped in a SilverStone power supply that had the four pin CPU power cable, but no graphics card power cable. This was initially fine because I was going to use a graphics card with no external power, only it turned out that the motherboard (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe) didn't like two of the three graphics cards I have that don't use external power, presumably because the power draw was more than the slot could provide, and it wouldn't POST, just give one long beep and three short beeps. I want to test it with my GTS250, so I'll have to swap to yet another power supply.

Have you checked with cablemod to see if they can make cables for your PSU?

Reply 43594 of 52615, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:12:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:07:

Have you checked with cablemod to see if they can make cables for your PSU?

Seasonic suggested I contact this place, and they just replied to my email that they have cables which will work. https://www.moddiy.com/

But as I mentioned before, I now have three different power supplies that I got for free or for cheap that have this issue, and I find it frustrating because the missing cables almost certainly were left in the original box because they weren't needed at the time, then someone threw the box away because "Why am I saving this box?"

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 43596 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After already purchasing a Compaq DeskPro 8086 motherboard a few weeks ago, what pops up for a decent price but a complete one... no kb or mouse, but I don't need those.

Seller says the PSU is dead and had pictures of the insides and it looks fairly simple so I will probably just try to fix it before replacing the internals and making an adapter.

Screenshot_20220330-133103.png
Filename
Screenshot_20220330-133103.png
File size
783.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43597 of 52615, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:22:

Seasonic suggested I contact this place, and they just replied to my email that they have cables which will work. https://www.moddiy.com/

But as I mentioned before, I now have three different power supplies that I got for free or for cheap that have this issue, and I find it frustrating because the missing cables almost certainly were left in the original box because they weren't needed at the time, then someone threw the box away because "Why am I saving this box?"

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:28:

I'm glad to see you found a solution. Sadly I've been in the same boat with modular power supplies

I've seen on Aliexpress several types of "Corsair" modular PSU cables going for very cheap. Even if your PSU is not a Corsair, once you know its pinout you should be able to easily repin the PSU-side molex of the modular lead to match your needs. Otherwise I fear that buying the proper model-specific cables, especially if it's a less common model or if you need more than one or two will end up costing more than an equivalent, complete, supply.

Reply 43598 of 52615, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always cut up the box of my modular power supplies and store as much identifying information as I can in a bag along with the spare cables. This way I won't risk mixing up different cables with different supplies, which could lead to catastrophic damage.

Reply 43599 of 52615, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a deal on 10 computers, face value. A couple are at least PII or older, relying on the stickers, there's a not very interesting P4, an Athlon, a Dell T7400, two recent i5 Dell desktops and a few other undiscernable pcs. The useable ones (as in everyday use) will go towards families who house Ukrainian refugees, the old ones I'll try and sneak into my attick out of my lovely wife's prying eyes.