SIMM, DDR, SDRAM slot to m.2 adapter

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 31, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
paradigital wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:12:

What I fail to understand is why they bothered with the DIMM pins? Power and data are provided by the SATA connectors in the corner, so why bother with the edge-connector at all?

I’d contemplated a similar idea previously, but vertical mounting for two 2.5” SSDs that you simply slot home onto connectors like the one on the corner of this device. Place a single SATA power in connector on one edge and two SATA data on the other.

the copper substrate is on the PCB anyways, it's a subtractive manufacturing process, so keeping the pins there doesn't cost anything, and the additional plating is probably negligeble too, also it's probably better for the pins if they sit against a suitable mating surface than just a bare pcb.

Reply 23 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-05-31, 12:03:

Vote for the utility of these things. Maybe it's because of my penchant for vintage cases, but I've frequently had trouble getting a 2.5" SSD properly mounted in a case, let alone any nVME thing like this. I generally have more RAM slots left than good places to stick a stick.

That said, the opposite may also be true. In that case, just don't use it 😉

The last month or so I've been working with 2 systems (one of which has sadly passed but will see if I can revive it) and several SSDs. Unfortunately the system in question was mounted in a Centurion 5 which didn't come with mounting spots for 2.5in drives and my 3.5in to 2.5in adapters I found too cumbersome as I was basically just moving some data around quickly for backup purposes and I ended up just...letting them basically hang in there xD

I still prefer older cases though. The other system is now mounted in an older Antec case (Antec NSK 4480 II) which also doesn't come with 2.5in drive bays.
For the Antec case the SSD mounted in a 2.5in to 3.5in adapter works well but I can imagine some people preferring a more secure option.

And if I were to pick an older memory type that this mounting system could be made for, I'd say the mechanically best option could be to mount it on a CRIMM since those must be used anyway if not all RIMM slots are used up.

@Sphere478, weren't there also some dual s370 boards that came with a s370 dummy in the second PGA370 socket? Get it? 😉 😉 😉 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2022-05-31, 13:42:
paradigital wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:12:

What I fail to understand is why they bothered with the DIMM pins? Power and data are provided by the SATA connectors in the corner, so why bother with the edge-connector at all?

I’d contemplated a similar idea previously, but vertical mounting for two 2.5” SSDs that you simply slot home onto connectors like the one on the corner of this device. Place a single SATA power in connector on one edge and two SATA data on the other.

the copper substrate is on the PCB anyways, it's a subtractive manufacturing process, so keeping the pins there doesn't cost anything, and the additional plating is probably negligeble too, also it's probably better for the pins if they sit against a suitable mating surface than just a bare pcb.

My main concern would be reliability and the preservation of the memory slot. I wouldn't want to damage or otherwise reduce-due-to-wear-and-tear the quality of the memory slot as I wouldn't want to get problems with this sometime down the line.

Though I'm wondering...wouldn't it perhaps make more sense to make M2 to 3.5in adapters so these could be mounted in traditional 3.5in drive bays? or perhaps an adapter for a 2.5in drive bay?

I've always found M2 a bit of an odd one as it doesn't seem too compelling to prefer it over 'traditional' SSD 2.5in format but it does take up more space on the PCB than a single SATA connector does.

But still I find it an interesting, though somewhat gimmicky, solution.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

while you're at it, make an ISA card with a sata connector & m.2 slot. 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 26 of 31, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-31, 16:08:

Though I'm wondering...wouldn't it perhaps make more sense to make M2 to 3.5in adapters so these could be mounted in traditional 3.5in drive bays? or perhaps an adapter for a 2.5in drive bay?

I've always found M2 a bit of an odd one as it doesn't seem too compelling to prefer it over 'traditional' SSD 2.5in format but it does take up more space on the PCB than a single SATA connector does.

those also already readily exist ^^ often for multiple M.2 at once
I like the M.2 form factor, great for a system drive to place directly on the board, and I recently replaced my external SSD with one that now has a neat "gumstick" format that is a really nice size to carry around.

Reply 27 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:31:

hmm ..I have a cup holder in my XP rig . .the lighter I dont have but I could use one !

wait ... its a cup holder right

Cup Holder.jpg

Don’t reset 🤣

Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-31, 16:00:
The last month or so I've been working with 2 systems (one of which has sadly passed but will see if I can revive it) and severa […]
Show full quote

Vote for the utility of these things. Maybe it's because of my penchant for vintage cases, but I've frequently had trouble getting a 2.5" SSD properly mounted in a case, let alone any nVME thing like this. I generally have more RAM slots left than good places to stick a stick.

The last month or so I've been working with 2 systems (one of which has sadly passed but will see if I can revive it) and several SSDs. Unfortunately the system in question was mounted in a Centurion 5 which didn't come with mounting spots for 2.5in drives and my 3.5in to 2.5in adapters I found too cumbersome as I was basically just moving some data around quickly for backup purposes and I ended up just...letting them basically hang in there xD

I still prefer older cases though. The other system is now mounted in an older Antec case (Antec NSK 4480 II) which also doesn't come with 2.5in drive bays.
For the Antec case the SSD mounted in a 2.5in to 3.5in adapter works well but I can imagine some people preferring a more secure option.

And if I were to pick an older memory type that this mounting system could be made for, I'd say the mechanically best option could be to mount it on a CRIMM since those must be used anyway if not all RIMM slots are used up.

@Sphere478, weren't there also some dual s370 boards that came with a s370 dummy in the second PGA370 socket? Get it? 😉 😉 😉 😜

Yeah, dual socket terminators

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 28 of 31, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For real? Why the gold plated edge connector if the pins are not connected to anything? I get why the adapter may be useful, just not the added expense of gold plating 😀

EDIT:

Come to think of it, why is the M2 connector perpendicular to the board? Wouldn't it be better if the drive were in the same direction of the board? Less risk of it getting knocked

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 29 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-31, 21:37:

For real? Why the gold plated edge connector if the pins are not connected to anything? I get why the adapter may be useful, just not the added expense of gold plating 😀

Already been said it is to spare the actual pins of the socket.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 30 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adhesive velcro pads or maybe some tie wraps would be my "solutions" for keeping an otherwise unfastened adapter PCB in place inside a case.

Is that too MacGyver-y or Red Green-ish for the fancy folks around these parts ? 😉

Reply 31 of 31, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get a 3D printer and print 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter 😁, for example this one printers quick and fits really well 😁.

Also helfull when printing gotek shell/case with OLED window and rotary encoder hole, among other things 👀