VOGONS

Reply 100 of 160, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:48:
The XG implementation is that the codec sits on IRQ 11 as a PCI device and the legacy sound system is mapped to IRQ 7. On my mo […]
Show full quote

The XG implementation is that the codec sits on IRQ 11 as a PCI device and the legacy sound system is mapped to IRQ 7.
On my model the Geforce 2 go is mapped to IRQ 5 which isn't an issue.

Setting up the laptop so that you can use the XG in pure dos isnt that hard as long as you follow my advice.
I have tested Prince of persia, decent, doom etc all works fine. In decent you can use sbpro for effects and OPL3 as music. Though id recommend playing games that have General Midi in 98 under dos box because the native wave table of the XG is pretty good. It's quality is up there with Roland.

Warlord wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:53:
Drivers Modified DOS Driver for Toshiba 2805 Series. download/file.php?id=94316 VXD Drivers http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont […]
Show full quote

Drivers
Modified DOS Driver for Toshiba 2805 Series.
download/file.php?id=94316
VXD Drivers
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/suppo … s/t820snd95.exe

Guide here that should work on getting the 2805 series sound working in pure DOS and 98 properly that should apply to all the other models.

1. To go into BIOS press ESC and it will prompt you to hit F1.
2. 1st page configure parallel port as std-bi direct
3. Press page up or down to go into 2nd bios screen. You want to change Config to all devices instead of by os.
4. For parallel port select not used.

Windows Config
5. Install windows 98
6. You want to use the VXD drivers for windows I will link to to.
7. Go to device manager select the parallel port and manually change the resources. That means uncheck automatic settings.
go through the basic configurations until you find the setting that doesn't use and IRQ. On mine that is setting 003. Then Save that and I went ahead and disabled the port anyways.
8. for sound a video game controller you want to click on the legacy sound system, again you want to manually set the resources. Try Basic configuration 2. Change to IRQ7 DMA 1 io 220-220f, 388-038f, 330-0331f etc These are the like the default legacy values.

For Dos.
1. You have to use the modified 810/815 driver I'll link.
2. The SET Blaster Parameters. are SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
3. I already configured this in the driver I am going to link here. But if you use the one off Phils computer page you need to change somethings to get it to work.
4. If you use some other driver than the one for here. Be advised that the one from phils has the wrong environmental variables set up in the batch file and you need to change that.
5. To configure you go "YMFIRQ 11" without quotes at the command prompt.
6. Type SETUPDS Change it to S-IRQ and then you can change it to I7 220 D1 ETC. With the driver I will link it should already be setup for you. Then save.
7. Then to run the driver you type Loadtsr at the command prompt that's all.

Hi !
I did exactly what you posted for my new 2805-S202 and it works beautifully !
Thanks a lot !!

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 101 of 160, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2021-11-22, 02:37:
Looks very nice. BTW one update of 2805: I ran Prince of Persia in 98, music and sound effect plays good but it crashes right on […]
Show full quote

Looks very nice.
BTW one update of 2805: I ran Prince of Persia in 98, music and sound effect plays good but it crashes right on the first sound effect when entering level1, win98 report errors on some address and IRQ 7 (sound blaster irq). I tried play in DOS and the game works fine.
Found a similar thread here: Prince of Persia Sound issues...
Don't know if it is incompatible with 98 system or the sound card/driver.
Another problem I found is the SB music volume is lower than in DOS for some games, and lower than the 98 system, except that the MPU-401 General MIDI is selected.

Same happened on my p3 rig with sblink. And today I found that the setupds still has effect after win 98 startup. It's resident in memory or it's just a configuration utility that activate the pcpci mode of the ymf7x4. So I disable the legacy driver in device manager and only reserve the IRQ in the bios, for setupds. And everything works fine for Prince of Persia 1 and 2.

I believe the legacy DOS driver is for w9x pure PCI mode, since the sblink is used and pcpci activated, the legacy driver is not needed and otherwise it will cause compatibility problem.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 102 of 160, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With official WIN ME installation and it’s drivers I noticed that gpu clock changes dynamically according to your current load, like on any modern gpu. That’s a surprise cause all my retro laptops has fixed clock that can be changed only by altering slider in driver.

Reply 103 of 160, by ae86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got a 2805-S402 off ebay. Been searching for awhile, and was loosing hope of ever finding one of these. Listing was posted as "Vintage Toshiba Satellite Laptop" no mention of the model # in the posting. Lucky I searched for Toshiba Laptop at the time. Saw pictures of the worn out palm rest and the bottom revealing it was a 2805-S402.

Fully functional, great shape minus the wear on the palm rest, and very stiff hinges. Screen is nice, bright and uniformly lit.

Came bios locked, but the parallel port loopback cable trick worked. Previous owner had Windows 2000 pro on it.

Installing DOS 6.1 and Win 98se on it now.

Reply 105 of 160, by ae86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got tired of using the laptop with the screen permanently open. Disassembled and found the right hinge was broken, but no other plastic damage thankfully.

Could only find a replacement 14" hinge that I have to transplant the screen arm. Any tips with getting that tiny circlip out of the hinge?

Reply 107 of 160, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ruined right speaker on my 2800-500 has been bothering me a bit since the sound is otherwise so good on this thing and was one of the main selling points of the Satellite 2800 series. Did you know it can operate as a CD player? While the laptop is off, moving that silver slider switch on the hinge-bar to the left will partially power up the laptop so that the CD drive can be opened. Put a disc in and while the laptop is 'off' it'll read the disc and music can be played and controlled with those play controls.
Very handy for speaker testing.
Also, since I don't see mention of it in this thread, the "BASS" button makes an enormous difference to the mixing of the subwoofer. When in the off state the subwoofer is barely used but turning it on really fills out the sound.

The right speaker crackles at higher volumes and when I've had the laptop apart pushing the cone you can feel it scratching. So I destroyed it 😀

Toshiba-Speaker-Testing2.jpg
Filename
Toshiba-Speaker-Testing2.jpg
File size
570.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The neodymium magnet's coating has flaked off and that stops the coil moving properly causing the distortion. These are little 8ohm (measured) speakers with an unknown power output and physical dimensions of 20mm x 27mm and around 6.5mm thick.

In my test setup, it seemed that a 2 watt speaker matched the original quite well for volume:

Toshiba-Speaker-Testing.JPG
Filename
Toshiba-Speaker-Testing.JPG
File size
558.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I found some good matches on Mouser as the CDS-27208 & AS02708CO along with on Aliexpress. Gonna try them out to see which one works best.

Mouser-Speakers.png
Filename
Mouser-Speakers.png
File size
50.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Since parts aren't easy to come across for the 2800 series now, here's how I fixed the hinges on my unit:

Toshiba-2800-500-hinge-repair.jpg
Filename
Toshiba-2800-500-hinge-repair.jpg
File size
864.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Those bits of aluminium connect up the hinge metal parts to the top-case metal arms. On mine, the bottom of the hinge metal parts that connected to the top-case were snapped off, putting all of the stress on just the hinge area when opening which I think didn't help with opening it up.
The hinges themselves are the stuck ones that the laptop came with that I removed and freed up on a vice with some fresh oil, now if anything the hinges are a little weak but definitely still good enough for use.

For the BIOS battery, I had a VG2430 cell from a dead T2130 mainboard which afaik is a Vanadium Lithium cell. The RTC charging / running voltage is 3.3v and I think this laptop had a 2.4v NIMH to start with but that was binned a long time ago. I might be wrong but from what I can tell, a Vanadium Lithium cell fits within the voltage range that this board is charging with and the CMOS settings are properly saved now so it should be okay? Not sure if it needs a smarter charging circuit but I think VL lithium cells can be okay with dumb/trickle charging?
The main benefit is that I now get to see the boot logo 😀

Satellite-2800-RTCbattery.jpg
Filename
Satellite-2800-RTCbattery.jpg
File size
842.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On some Toshibas like the Satellite 470CDT though, it's not safe since that particular series (440-490) and the Satellite 400-430 charge cells at 5 volts. In those ones it's better to just put in a CR2032 with a diode.

Now it's back together and I'm trying to set up a triple boot of Windows 98, the factory Windows Me and a Windows 2000 install, hopefully using NT's bootloader to manage it.

Reply 108 of 160, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing about the parts is everything except for the mainboard and the LCD bezle are completly the same from the 14Inch savage models as far as I'm aware. same speakers everything. I removed the 14inch arms from some 14 inch hinges, and put 15 inch arms I removed from my broken hinges. The hinge part is exactly the same just the arms are differnt. Once all of the old hardened grease is cleaned out of the hinges they wont break the same way , since this hardening of the grease toshiba used is the cause of the failure Ironically. Replace with Oil.

I used to see 14s pop up on ebay frequently.

Reply 109 of 160, by jhill1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if the OP can post what model number DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive is installed in your 2805-S402.

I'm trying to upgrade my 2805-S202, and want to be sure the DVD-ROM bezel I have will match up with the replacement Panasonic drive. I have a Panasonic UJDA540 which only reads CDs..and I'd like to add CD-RW capabilities for imaging, etc.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jhill1977 on 2023-05-17, 10:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 110 of 160, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can check the model here, not the 402 but it’s the same gf2 version with higher cpu.

8292E6D9-F94D-422B-AFE9-F0DCBD6A14DA.jpeg
Filename
8292E6D9-F94D-422B-AFE9-F0DCBD6A14DA.jpeg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 111 of 160, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can someone please point me in the direction of where the actual recommend graphics driver is in this thread? I am having trouble finding it.
I tried the 30.whatever driver posted, and my 2805 did not seem to enjoy running it one bit, all sorts of artifacting and weird screen behavior.
Works fine in safe mode however.

Reply 113 of 160, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That one or this will work great. 14.xx has some power saving features useful for it being a laptop. 12.xx Driver here maybe more compatible. download/file.php?id=99660

somtime I plan on modding a 45.xx driver, but I just haven't got around to it, maybe the most compatible but it might bog the system down.

Reply 114 of 160, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jhill1977 wrote on 2023-03-22, 16:31:

I was wondering if the OP can post what model number DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive is installed in your 2805-S402.

I'm trying to upgrade my 2805-S202, and want to be sure the DVD-ROM bezel I have will match up with the replacement Panasonic drive. I have a Panasonic UJDA540 which only reads CDs..and I'd like to add CD-RW capabilities for imaging, etc.

Thanks in advance

I'll look into it, this weekend somtime. I found DVD region free firmware for it, that I'll have to find if theres intrest in it. Worked great. All the bezels of of the 2805 series including the savage models are exatly the same. The only difference between models is the LCD bezel 14 or 15 inch, but the lids are exactly the same. All the parts are interchangable except for the motherboards and the hinge arms, hinges minus the arms are the same.

Reply 115 of 160, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some sleuthing and was able to find the Japanese equivalent of these machines, the Dynabook A1 and A2 series. The difference between the two just seems to be age however, with the A2's seeming to just be the later, higher clocked variants.
Somehow the original sales brochure site for both of them is still up, neat to look through if you have google translate handy:
https://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/010821a2/a2001.htm
(https://archive.ph/TwL8v)
https://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/0103 … 9a1/x10hard.htm
(https://archive.is/PXAer)
Googing the SKUs in the above links even manages to dredge up early reviews and press releases from when the machines were new.

Reply 116 of 160, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The JP model with spdif out is intresting how they removed the PS2/Y port in place for a SPDIF out. This would of been way ahead of its time back then and forward thinking. Probably would of been great for music composers running win ME at the time.

Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:29:

Sure, here it is: https://archive.org/details/toshiba-satellite … y-winme-english

I've never upload anything to Archive.org before, it sure does take a while.

Thanks for the Recovery Disks what a rare find. Now that I finally have got the time to play with these notebooks again, its nice to find some of the goodies on the second disk. The screensaver is rad.

Reply 117 of 160, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!
I got a 2805-S401 a few months ago, and it’s been working great! (I couldn’t find a 402). The only weird issue it has is that no matter which driver I use, the FM sound is very flaky in Windows Dos Box. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. However, games are detecting it every time. For example… if I run Keen 4 in Dos Box, it will show adlib/soundblaster detected, and I even hear the speakers pop quietly to initialize, but sometimes there is no sound in the game. The same thing goes for any games with FM sound. Midi works great on port 330, especially on games like Duke3D no matter what.

When I exit to real Dos mode, the FM sound works every time after I load the TSR in the dos drivers linked in this post. So, I guess I can just use real Dos mode for FM sound games, but it’s just weird how it’s so flaky. Since it works every time in real Dos mode, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue.

I set up the Irq’s and everything the way it shows in this thread. I’ve also tried different settings like using irq 5 and etc… but that shouldn’t affect FM since it’s at 388 all the time.

I’ve tried messing with the mixer, and legacy sound is all the way up as well as midi and Wav.

I should also mention that this is running Windows 98SE. Dos box FM works fine in Windows ME for some reason, but I want the real Dos mode of course.

Another weird issue is that SetupDS from the files in this thread doesn’t work correctly. It says it can’t find the IRQ. I tried the modified ini file too, but it still says it can’t find the IRQ and won’t let me save. However, FM and Sound Blaster sounds still work fine in real Dos.

Any ideas? It’s a fun system for sure. It just seems a little flaky on some things.

Reply 118 of 160, by JonF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:54:
Drivers Modified DOS Driver for Toshiba 2805 Series. download/file.php?id=94316 VXD Drivers http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont […]
Show full quote

Drivers
Modified DOS Driver for Toshiba 2805 Series.
download/file.php?id=94316
VXD Drivers
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/suppo … s/t820snd95.exe

Unpack Dos driver to C:\Yamaha It should just be Yamaha and all the files not Yamaha\Yamaha or anything else.

Fresh DS.INI if you run into any trouble. Use this only if its not letting you modify SETUPDS and save it.

The VXD driver link is dead, is there another copy somewhere? No luck with Google.

Reply 119 of 160, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just here to inform you guys that i'm fighting with nvidia driver modding to be able to update videodriver in windows xp. I've added requested lines about gf2go in win 98 driver and it works, now i've got 30x version. But in xp that doesn't work. I'm ending up with BSOD's or with only second monitor working. What a mystery 😀