Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 421 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:02:
That's why I've asked for a datasheet. In the one that can be found in the net for the 266 MHz this of course isn't mentioned. I […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-30, 19:37:

I’ve been unable to find a combination of BF pins that allows 4.5x on my 266 or 233 specimens.

That's why I've asked for a datasheet. In the one that can be found in the net for the 266 MHz this of course isn't mentioned.
In my experience, as soon as BF2 is set, the 266 MHz one is stuck to 4x regardless of BF0/1. If BF2 is not set, smaller multipliers are possible to set with BF0/1, but nothing larger than 4x.
Since the TCP / foil type package doesn't seem to have more BFx connections than the PGA package a 4.5x multiplier must be reached in another way.
Maybe they've used some other "hidden" pin, one that's marked as NC or something. But without a datasheet that's a bit hard to find out.
I wouldn't think they've used another die, TCP is just another package for just the same thing. But what do I know.

It’s important to note that there have been 4 bf pins identified.

The three traditional cyrix/st/ibm, amd, winchip pins then intel departed from this sheme by using a different pin for bf2 making for a total of 4 known pins.

The tweakers that I have made allow programming of all of these

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 422 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I know. I had to add another jumper for the changed BF2 one my board (to not mess with the original three and to maintain conformance with other CPUs).
That said, I'm not sure any more if I also tested with the original BF2 on the pin position not used by the Tillamook. I'm pretty sure this did nothing but can't vouch for that.

I did an extensive search for more official information about the 300 MHz part yesterday. Unfortunately, every datasheet Intel officially published stops at 266 MHz.
There is, however, an entry in Intel's product specifications (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 66-mhz-fsb.html), but without any further documentation.
The only other clues I found is that IBM and Acer used 300 MHz versions on some of their notebook models (IBM Thinkpad i1411 & i1451, ACER Extensa 503T).
But as far as I can tell, both seem to use similar if not the same plattform/mainboard, which wouldn't be too amazing since ACER is said to have developed these for IBM, and the CPUs beeing MMC-1 modules which incorporate the CPU in TCP-320 package.
There are some offerings on ebay with pictures of the mainboard.

So it seems the 300MHz version is an absolute OEM thing.
According to cpu-world.com the 266 & 300 use the same stepping, so I still highly doubt the 300 is some special die.
The remaining options therefore are (1) overclocking of the 266MHz version or (2) some undocumented way to set higher multipliers than 4.
May be via some "NC" pins.

Reply 423 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet that intel just got really good at locking multipliers by the time the tillamook came around and the 4.5 and 5x exist on all tillamooks but was disabled on die. Just a guess. But why the 233 models I have still have 4x is odd.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 424 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that the tillamook are now in shortage, supply's, I sold my last two pieces in ebay last month. It seems that there will be no more tillamook cpus yet if anyone knows of a source please share in the topic because more and more people are reading the forum and need a tillamook to play with.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 425 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amijim wrote on 2022-06-06, 13:06:

It seems that the tillamook are now in shortage, supply's, I sold my last two pieces in ebay last month. It seems that there will be no more tillamook cpus yet if anyone knows of a source please share in the topic because more and more people are reading the forum and need a tillamook to play with.

Just scored another 266 on ebay :p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 428 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TimWolf wrote on 2022-06-29, 05:19:

To confirm, no one has gotten 266mhz tillamooks running on a dual Tyan yet?

No, I have beat this issue to death, and sparing a possible gold wire mod I don’t think it will ever happen on a socket 7 board and even at that, I am not even sure that the logic actually exists in the core. The tillamook will behave it’s self in a shared bus environment (something that a k6 won’t) but I don’t think we’ll ever be able to dual them on a normal dual socket 7 with 430hx without additional logic. Possibly a dual bus setup. (Custom motheroboard)

Long story short. We will likely never see it. Maybe some kind of exotic system can do it.

Dual AMD K6 computer

Tillamook SMP and multiplier unlocking investigation thread.

I remain unconvinced that a dual k6 or a dual tillamook isn’t possible on some kind of exotic setup. And would like to try some experiments with early dual socket 5 boards. There are some rumors revolving around them that I just can’t seem to convince myself are for sure false.

But the fact is that 20 years later all I can find is two guys online claiming they once saw it.

I would like to get a lot of dual socket 5 owners together for some experiments but finding someone with all the required parts is rare.

Hopefully the voltage interposer I made will help with all that and enable dual socket 5 owners to try out some tillamooks and k6 chips.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up though. Not being convinced that it is fake is not the same as believing that it will work.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 429 of 502, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Schule04 wrote on 2022-06-21, 01:59:

The IBM Network Station 8364 usually came with a 266Hz Tillamook for Socket 7

Actually:

IBM NetVista Thin Client models N2200 and N2800.
I don't see these on ebay.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 430 of 502, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought two Tillamooks 266 from eBay just now for $25 a piece. The seller is from China (bought many CPUs from him in the past) and is actually one of the best sellers I've ever worked with (no affiliation).
He apparently sold them in less than two weeks (one buyer purchased 9 of these). 😀 So, after seeing the demand, he increased the price from $20 to $25. 😁

He still has one CPU left (but knowing this seller, he probably has more and he will update the stock once this first batch sells).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 431 of 502, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2022-07-23, 07:44:

Bought two Tillamooks 266 from eBay just now for $25 a piece. The seller is from China (bought many CPUs from him in the past) and is actually one of the best sellers I've ever worked with (no affiliation).
He apparently sold them in less than two weeks (one buyer purchased 9 of these). 😀 So, after seeing the demand, he increased the price from $20 to $25. 😁

He still has one CPU left (but knowing this seller, he probably has more and he will update the stock once this first batch sells).

And gone ...now I just need to dig up the mods to let it work on desktop boards without issue.

Reply 432 of 502, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-23, 08:07:

And gone ...now I just need to dig up the mods to let it work on desktop boards without issue.

Yep, me too 😁 Never tried one of these before, so I'm curious to see how they perform.
Based on my limited research so far, it seems that some people have had success with them on later SS7 boards. Anyway, as always, the main issue is voltage (both core and I/O), so need to make sure that they're not overvolted (if the motherboad does not support the voltages by default, we must apply plan B 😁 ).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 433 of 502, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2022-07-23, 08:32:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-23, 08:07:

Yep, me too 😁 Never tried one of these before, so I'm curious to see how they perform.
Based on my limited research so far, it seems that some people have had success with them on later SS7 boards. Anyway, as always, the main issue is voltage (both core and I/O), so need to make sure that they're not overvolted (if the motherboad does not support the voltages by default, we must apply plan B 😁 ).

This is my second Tilly so I have a spare one !

Reply 434 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone here own a golden fake cpu?

I finally found one but unfortunately only a 233.

Still looking for a 266 and a 300

But I have questions for owners of said chips.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 436 of 502, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 300MHz Golden Tiger...sadly, it doesn't seem to work.

Attachments

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 437 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad, I’ve been looking for evidence that the 4.5x ratio exists. And what settings you have to use to get there. Bf2? Or intel bf2? What does cpuz show? So many questions.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 438 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Talking with someone recently and they brought this to my attention.

We are speculating wether or not 5.5x actually exists. I find it possible that it may but intel just might have locked it out. I’m sure intel was also aware just how high these chips can clock. As we now are.

Given what intel did release it seems that a 4.5x should exist. And whatever these chinese fakes say is likely just bs. But one must wonder…

I mean some of these do claim to have 512k of cache 😆

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 439 of 502, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-12, 06:57:
Talking with someone recently and they brought this to my attention. […]
Show full quote

Talking with someone recently and they brought this to my attention.

We are speculating wether or not 5.5x actually exists. I find it possible that it may but intel just might have locked it out. I’m sure intel was also aware just how high these chips can clock. As we now are.

Given what intel did release it seems that a 4.5x should exist. And whatever these chinese fakes say is likely just bs. But one must wonder…

I mean some of these do claim to have 512k of cache 😆

hmm 512kb of cache on that package ...I smell SUS ...doesnt mean I wouldn't want one for a "Friend" who keeps asking.