VOGONS

Reply 300 of 385, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the end I tried both of the Mr-bios files to test them, V097B5NA.BIN and V097B5NA.BIO. They have different sha-1 hash values and after flashing each one and testing I can't make out any differences. All bios options and version # appear identical.
A big problem now though, all PCI cards I have (S3 TRIO, Promise TX2 IDE controller, YMF 724) don't work. The Intel Advanced Morrison motherboard (430fx chipset) uses a LPX form factor and a riser card for ISA/PCI. All my ISA cards still work but if I insert any PCI card in the riser the computer will freeze when loading DOS. It completes POST but when loading DOS the screen stays black or is black with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. There is a PCI menu section in Mr-bios where you can assign SLOT# (1-20), INT A,B,C,D and low or high level IRQ trigger. I have tried most combinations without success. The riser that came with this motherboard has 2 PCI slots and 3 ISA.
Has anyone in here flashed an Intel-Morrison motherboard to Mr-bios and got it working with PCI cards.

Reply 301 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unknow board ETEQ 82C491 82C492

Attachments

Reply 302 of 385, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-11-02, 16:03:

In the end I tried both of the Mr-bios files to test them, V097B5NA.BIN and V097B5NA.BIO. They have different sha-1 hash values and after flashing each one and testing I can't make out any differences. All bios options and version # appear identical.
A big problem now though, all PCI cards I have (S3 TRIO, Promise TX2 IDE controller, YMF 724) don't work. The Intel Advanced Morrison motherboard (430fx chipset) uses a LPX form factor and a riser card for ISA/PCI. All my ISA cards still work but if I insert any PCI card in the riser the computer will freeze when loading DOS. It completes POST but when loading DOS the screen stays black or is black with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. There is a PCI menu section in Mr-bios where you can assign SLOT# (1-20), INT A,B,C,D and low or high level IRQ trigger. I have tried most combinations without success. The riser that came with this motherboard has 2 PCI slots and 3 ISA.
Has anyone in here flashed an Intel-Morrison motherboard to Mr-bios and got it working with PCI cards.

There were different Morrison boards. What Intel Bios did your Morisson originally have? Were you flashing an IBM Aptiva?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 303 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Zeos motherboard project

Any suggestions? Looking for an alternative bios.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 304 of 385, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-07, 01:52:

Re: Zeos motherboard project

Any suggestions? Looking for an alternative bios.

I don't think MR-BIOS ever released a BIOS for a 430NX motherboard.

Last edited by GL1zdA on 2022-12-07, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 305 of 385, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was there a Pentium Mr Bios ?
Never heard about it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 306 of 385, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2022-12-07, 20:42:

Never heard about it.

Dozens. They did BIOSes for a lot of Triton motherboards. I'm running one on my 430FX based Intel Advanced/EV board.

Reply 307 of 385, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2022-12-07, 20:42:

Never heard about it.

There are over 250 of those, I identified most of them here.

However, the earliest Intel one are for 430FX. 430LX/430NX have not been found or even mentioned anywhere. Same goes for Unicore Award.

The only 3rd party BIOS upgrades for 430LX/430NX I'm aware of are from Micro Firmware, but I haven't been able to find the actual ROM files. Seem to be just modified Phoenix BIOS with support for bigger harddrives though.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 308 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I’m stumped on this 430nx zeos board then. Unfortunately the bios it has makes it nearly unusable for what I had planned. As it doesn’t support anything non intel. And I am probably capped at 200-233mhz 🙁 (tillamook didn’t work also)

Does anyone have ANY ideas at all? Maybe a bios that will work and I can swap my io chip?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 309 of 385, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For tillamook often hardware mods are needed.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 310 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2022-12-08, 21:52:

For tillamook often hardware mods are needed.

I know, and they were done 😀

Interposer that I made for the CPU has them built-in but also the cpu that I used also has them soldered. I didn’t use the mods on the interposer.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 311 of 385, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also posted this in General Old Hardware but someone suggested it goes here:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd advise anyone looking for a MR BIOS image to also grab the "target5" download referenced in the "MRBIOS Big Bundle" Google Doc on vogonsdrivers.com (https://archive.org/details/target5). It is a large download that contains lots of old programs, but it contains several megabytes of MR BIOS files.

Perhaps most importantly, it contains text documents for each chipset that I found extremely useful in determining which image to use. I recently asked about something pertaining to MR BIOS images and another member provided one of these to me. I wondered where he got it. Well this is apparently the source.

And, although it ended up being the incorrect image for my motherboard, there's an image in the "MRBIOS Big Bundle" that is missing every other byte. Specifically, it's in V002B406, but the "target5" download contains the complete copy. There could be more examples of this.

Just something to consider.

Reply 312 of 385, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2022-12-15, 13:56:

And, although it ended up being the incorrect image for my motherboard, there's an image in the "MRBIOS Big Bundle" that is missing every other byte. Specifically, it's in V002B406, but the "target5" download contains the complete copy. There could be more examples of this.

Hey, thanks for pointing this out — the bundle on Vogonsdrivers is a snapshot of the catalog that I did. Seems like I've made a mistake with .odd/.even BIOS images. Normally these are presented in Target5 as both a full 64KB ROM and a set of ODD/EVEN 32KB for dual EPROM boards. Seems like in some instances while renaming the files I accidentally replaced the full 64KB ROM with either the ODD or EVEN file.

Fixed it in the actual catalog and the Dropbox archive. I think there was also a singnificant mistake in the Intel section. Fixed that as well a while ago, so Vogonsdrivers might want to reupload using the current version and maybe link to the Google Docs catalog. I've also identified and added a bunch more images since that version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vtPso … #gid=1763344312

and

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3etr4acyxtsm603/AA … CCNnj-jKSa?dl=0

I notice via Google Docs that people actually use the catalog, so I would appreciate if people use comments (or just hit me up on Vogons/Discord) to report any issues/errors or actually successfully use the ROMs with their boards. I've added the "should work with" column, and I'm gradually updating the status based on what I tested myself and found online.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2022-12-15, 21:02. Edited 3 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 313 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote on 2022-12-15, 14:15:
Hey, thanks for pointing this out — the bundle on Vogonsdrivers is a snapshot of the catalog that I did. Seems like I've made a […]
Show full quote
eesz34 wrote on 2022-12-15, 13:56:

Hey, thanks for pointing this out — the bundle on Vogonsdrivers is a snapshot of the catalog that I did. Seems like I've made a mistake with .odd/.even BIOS images. Normally these are presented in Target5 as both a full 64KB ROM and a set of ODD/EVEN 32KB for dual EPROM boards. Seems like in some cases while renaming the files I accidentally renamed either ODD or EVEN file to replace the full 64KB ROM.

Fixed it in the actual catalog and the Dropbox archive. I think there was also a big mistake in the Intel section. Fixed that as well a while ago, so Vogonsdrivers might want to reupload using the current version and maybe link to the Google Docs catalog. I've also identified and added a bunch more images since that version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vtPso … #gid=1763344312

and

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3etr4acyxtsm603/AA … CCNnj-jKSa?dl=0

I notice via Google Docs that people actually use the catalog, so I would appreciate if people use comments to say if they encounter any issues/errors or actually succesfully use the ROMs with their boards.

Zeos motherboard project

You I believe posted a helpful reply on discord that I don’t recall where it was now. Any chance you could post here also? I think I was asking about different brands of bioses that may work.

Unfortunately this motherboard is pretty useless as a project to me if I can’t figure out how to get non intel chips in it. I want to put m2 and k6-3+ in it

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 314 of 385, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-15, 16:48:

You I believe posted a helpful reply on discord that I don’t recall where it was now. Any chance you could post here also? I think I was asking about different brands of bioses that may work.

Unfortunately this motherboard is pretty useless as a project to me if I can’t figure out how to get non intel chips in it. I want to put m2 and k6-3+ in it

Hey, glad I could help, but I don't remember where that conversation took place. Feel free to repost those messages — I feel like you should be able to document your project anyhow 😉

UPD: I think this was actually also in regards to an issue with 3rd party BIOS images for early Soc5 boards.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 317 of 385, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-12-05, 16:05:
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-11-02, 16:03:

There were different Morrison boards. What Intel Bios did your Morisson originally have? Were you flashing an IBM Aptiva?

Your right, there were around 6-7 oem variants of the Morrison. My motherboard is from an IBM PC 330/350.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … d-mn-morrison64

It appears identical to the IBM Aptiva (2144-S15) Mr-Bios image I used (V097B5NA). Using that bios the board works fine with the onboard trio64 etc and ISA slots on the riser card. Any PCI card hangs after post before loading DOS.
PCI cards work using the original ibm bios - the identical bios file is used for the IBM Aptiva (2144-S15) - LPJT63A.