VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently me and my younger brother picked up a big box of motherboards. They were used by IT students as practice material and most of it was handled quite roughly. A quick test showed that about half of them still worked straight away. Others might need some more maintaince to ever boot again.

The box also contained a AMD Slot A system with a CPU and 256 MB SDRAM. The CPU was fried at some point but the motherboard was still working, so it's a great candidate for a 1999 build! I made an ultimate 1999 build based on an Intel Pentium III. I really wanted to venture down the AMD route too, so this was a great opportunity.

Here's the motherboard:
Yo9TWb5.jpg

It's a Gateway (Jabil) Kadoka motherboard, also used in IBM Aptiva systems. There's isn't much info other than this old gateway website archive , so I had to do some guesswork for the pin headers. There's no ISA on this board, so it'll be all PCI and AGP from here. I had some issues with booting the board at first. When it's never been booted, the power switch is seen as enabled by default and you can only boot the system by turning the PSU on/off. This also gives the PS2 ports some trouble. Once you've installed a CMOS battery and went into the BIOS once and then properly restart it, the board will work just fine.

Here's the pinout if anyone ever needs it. I haven't found out what the other pins do. If anyone owns the original gateway PC, please let me know 😀
jdEZ73r.png

Since the original CPU was dead as a doornail, I had to get a new CPU. Pentium systems turn up daily on marketplace sites but Slot A AMDs are becoming rare. I thought this was going to be a long term project but the next day a listing popped up for this glorious piece of hardware:

3mlZI9a.jpg

The AMD K7 Athlon running at 700 Mhz, on the (then) new 0.18 micron process. Picked it up for only 10 EUR including the heatsink and fans. Talk about a lucky find! It was listed as untested but that was a gamble I could take and luckely it did work. The fans were very dirty and loud but with a little cleaning and a few drops of oil, they were spinning as new.

Had to pair it up with some more hardware, such as this 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 that I had laying around from my old Pentium II build. Overclocked it runs stable at 166 mhz, so it's basically a V3 3000.

SmgHFCv.jpg?1

For sound, I'm inserting this CT 4810. It's not a great soundcard for DOS, but I've got plenty of DOS systems. We'll be running Windows 98 SE for this system.

TsWFOpJ.jpg

And for networking, this RealTek RTL8139B.

EQQo2Lg.jpg

I did not have a period correct case so I used this generic case that once housed a Pentium 4 system. I'm reusing the PSU, FDD, Optical Drives and the 160 GB HDD from that old system. After some attempt at cable management, the case now looks like this:

v0q95Vo.jpg
CQAVfWb.jpg

The top drive and the lower card reader aren't connected but I do not have the faceplates to cover up the hole they would leave. I might want to rebuild the entire thing in a different case at some point but it'll do for now.

Did a quick benchmarking test:

Quake II (v 3.20 with glminidrv 1.49, demo1.dm2)
800x600x16: 92.3 FPS
1024x768x16: 62.2 FPS

Unreal Gold (Flyby demo)
800x600x16: 62,2 FPS
1024x768x16: 43 FPS

Quake is quite a bit faster with this videocard than my previous Pentium II sytem, but the AMD doesn't seem to beat it in Unreal Gold, even though it's 200 mhz faster. Maybe Unreal benefits most from a better videocard or there are some more optimisations to be made. The BIOS is quite limited, so I'm not sure if I can tweak much. If anyone has some more tips on how to push this system, let me know 😀

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hezus wrote on 2023-01-01, 13:54:

If anyone has some more tips on how to push this system, let me know 😀

Try enabling the "Geometry Assist" setting in the Voodoo3 driver panel. It might help a bit.

file.php?id=137017&mode=view

In addition to MiniGL 1.49 which you're already using, try the 3DNow! optimized Quake 2 patch. It was made by AMD and it might help you squeeze out a bit more performance.

For Unreal engine benchmarking, maybe use Unreal Tournament '99 with the latest official patch applied. It might have some extra optimizations for "newer" CPUs of the time.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 9, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build. That board actually has no electrolytic capacitors 😀.
Original Aptiva specs had Terratec Solo-1 sound card and Ati Rage 3D IIc AGP (I need to photo bottom sticker on it). Mine came with Athlon 550.

Reply 3 of 9, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great stuff! The dark green OEM-board look reminds me of Intel boards, ironically.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4 of 9, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would change soundcard to Creative Soundblaster Live 1999 card or Solo-1 to use it for dos/win9x and Voodo o3 like you or Rage Fury Pro / Maxx Win9x/WinXP OS and all AMD/ATi build, for bit newer videocard, released after 1999 - ATi Radeon 7200/7500 would be also nice.

I like Athlon Slot A, more rare than Pentium II/III Slot 1.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 5 of 9, by winterlight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would echo the use of a SB Live! on this PCI only system. It supports DOS surprisingly well even though that's unsupported and for W98 it's pretty good.

I liked the Aureal cards tho. Positional sound in W98 AND you could even get sound in a DOS Window with the hardware (not fully supported though)

Thank you for building this, I'm breaking out my old Athlon with my 2x 10k Raptors in U2W SCSI that did sequential reads @ a whole 10Mb/s!!

Reply 6 of 9, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the replies! 😀 It's a pretty interesting board. There's also a header for a SCSI LED somehow.

I've redone my benchmarks and I think I've made an error somewhere with the clock. Here's the Voodoo 3 running at 143 mhz:

Quake 2 (1024x768x16) : 71,7 FPS
Unreal Gold (1024x768x16) : 59 FPS

Much more in line with what I expected it to do.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-01-01, 14:22:

Try enabling the "Geometry Assist" setting in the Voodoo3 driver panel. It might help a bit.

In addition to MiniGL 1.49 which you're already using, try the 3DNow! optimized Quake 2 patch. It was made by AMD and it might help you squeeze out a bit more performance.

For Unreal engine benchmarking, maybe use Unreal Tournament '99 with the latest official patch applied. It might have some extra optimizations for "newer" CPUs of the time.

I've tried Geometry Assist but it seems that's a D3D thing, so it didn't affect any of the Glide performance. I've been toying around with the 3DNOW build of Quake 2 but I can't see any performance increase. I've watched this video on how to set it up properly but I think the patch was geared towards Voodoo 2 cards and not Voodoo 3.

As for sound: I dug some more into the drivers and it seems that there were two lines of the Sound Blaster PCI 128:
- CT4700's: Known as the Sound Blaster PCI 128.
- CT 4800's: Known as the Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128.

Creative also also went with the Vibra128 badge for some time to make it all even more confusing. I found this ISO which had the best drivers, even including legacy DOS emulation. I quickly tested it with Heretic and the Soundblaster FX emulation is really good, the OPL3 emulation is terrible but the built-in MIDI wavetable is great. It doesn't support any real DOS, though.

I'll keep an eye out for a card that support A3D, since I do not own a system that supports it. But for the meantime, this CT4810 does the job well enough.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 8 of 9, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote on 2023-01-02, 14:25:

Perhaps, you can run the 3d mark 99 and 2000 benchmark?

Thanks 😀

Sure! Running at 700 Mhz, Voodoo 3 2000 clocked at 143 Mhz. Average from 3 runs.

3DMark 1999: 5256 3D Marks / 11373 CPU Marks
3DMark 2000: 2717 3DMarks

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 9 of 9, by Delerium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 700 MHz Athlon Classic performs well compared to earlier Pentium 3s in AnandTechs test. All Athlon CPUs running at 700 MHz or below are set to a 1/2 L2 cache divider.

The Athlon 750 – 850 featured a 2/5 L2 cache divider that resulted in L2 cache speeds ranging from 300 MHz to 340 MHz and the 900 – 1 GHz a 1/3 L2 cache divider that kept the L2 cache frequency between 300 MHz and 333 MHz.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/386

Attachments

• image012.gif
    Filename
    image012.gif
    File size
    13.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain