VOGONS


Reply 200 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
RetroPCCupboard wrote on 2026-09-30, 21:31:

I just run it at the speed it auto detected. The CPU is very overpowered for Win98. It has been rock solid.

Interesting! Yeah it’s crazy to even have such a setup for win98. But it is one of the reasons why some of us are here 😬

I have been collecting info about running 266/1066MHz FSB CPUs on these boards. I think you’re the first person I’ve seen say they’ve had absolutely no trouble with one. I absolutely do not need anything better than an a 200/800MHz FSB e5800 (3.2GHz) CPU in this board, they are about £7 on eBay. But where is the fun in doing just that?!

Here are some mental notes I’ve made so far

A lot of people comment that 266/1066 FSB CPUs aren’t as stable as 200/800 as 266 is purely an overclocked setting.

Also a 200Mhz CPU can’t be pushed to run at 266MHz (with a lower multiplier) in software - instead you have to pin mod the chip to force the board to detect the CPU as a 266 one. This then properly engages the right straps/ dividers to run 266 - this is kind of pointless anyway as 266 CPUs are widely available now and cheap.

The 266 FSB CPUs also end up with underclocked RAM by default. Although I saw a post claiming that they had their board running at 250MHz FSB 1:1 RAM, though not sure how they did this with the FSB restraints this board seems to have.

I saw a review of a different board with the same chipset suggest that 266 FSB 1:1 is possible if you have good enough RAM

Someone else said that CPUS with 1/2 multipliers can cause problems eg core2duo E7600 (11.5), Pentium E6800 (12.5)

I bought literally for pennies today an E7500. It’s the same FSB x multi as the X6800 (266x11) to try out on it. I will wait to see what CPU it comes with before I spend any more!

Also in other news, time to sell some stuff. Got way too much Athlon stuff now. And I don’t need both a k6-3 and a k6-3+. I’m not a YouTuber 😂

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 202 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I cannot confirm yet but I’m led to believe it’s all down to the bios version. The last iteration of the bios for the R2.0 is the same as r3.0? It may not officially supported but it still works? This is based on others’ experiences on here

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 203 of 210, by RetroPCCupboard

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FullYes wrote on 2026-10-01, 11:56:

I cannot confirm yet but I’m led to believe it’s all down to the bios version. The last iteration of the bios for the R2.0 is the same as r3.0? It may not officially supported but it still works? This is based on others’ experiences on here

Maybe. My R2 board is dead. So I can't try

Reply 204 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I will soon find out. Should be here tomorrow along with (maybe) the e7500

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 205 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

775 build

Ok so the motherboard arrived and it seems to work. Came with a 3.2GHz celeron D, a cooler and 512mb ram

Will have to replace the cooler as one of the upper leg components is missing (the one you press down to lock the cooler in place)

I’ve ended up using the ssd i couldn’t get to work on the Athlon as the main drive. Fresh install of win98. Feels really snappy!

The e7500 turned out to be an e4400 (seller sent the wrong cpu) e4400 will do as a start

The attachment IMG_0050.jpeg is no longer available

This is with an FX5200 (128mb/128bit version) and the result is about as good as the 5900xt manages with an Athlon XP!

3dmark01se is less good. About 8300 points

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some dual channel ram
and a better cpu to try as well as a faster gpu

Last edited by FullYes on 2026-10-03, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 206 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Today the RAM arrived but no CPU 😞 so I’m stuck with the E4400 until at least Monday

I picked this kit up cheap on eBay. Probably too good for this setup but as I said they were cheap!

The attachment IMG_0056.jpeg is no longer available

Ideally I would have got 2 x 256Mb but there isn’t much out there at DDR400 other than budget stuff.

There is a distinctly blue theme going on with this setup. Blue motherboard, blue GPU and now some blue ram. The Audigy 2 ZS is going to really spoil it 😅

Had some issues initially getting the ram to work, but it seemed to be poor contact in one of the ram sockets and a quick clean sorted it out

So now I have 1Gb of ram I had to use patchmem to get windows98 to work properly. I did first try modifying the system.ini but then had some issues with the GPU drivers (45.23) I am not sure if patchmem solved the problem or if the GPU just needed reseating but it was finally all working after several hours of messing around. Time for some benchmarks!

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 207 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Forgot to get some pics!

The temporary setup - now with the 5900XT

The attachment IMG_0067.jpeg is no longer available

And some initial results

The attachment IMG_0068.jpeg is no longer available

I added some Athlon numbers with the same GPU. No surprise, the numbers are up to 50% higher

Adding dual channel did almost nothing. I guess it might be more uplifting on windows XP!

Of course I could not help but try a little o/cing. I was able to get it to POST at 266Mhz FSB but it hangs either detecting the drives or just afterwards. Not a surprise but could not help myself!

I got into windows at 250MHz FSB but after about 5 mins it crashed.

233 seemed stable but I could see artifacts in the benchmarks

Quite a big uplift for a fairly modest o/c. I am looking forward to trying some other CPUs

Last edited by FullYes on 2026-10-03, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 208 of 210, by RetroPCCupboard

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FullYes wrote on Today, 19:15:

Forgot to get some pics!

The temporary setup - now with the 5900XT

Wow. The cooler on that GPU is gigantic!

Reply 209 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

It’s fairly modest by modern standards! 😅

Arctic cooling NV silencer 3
https://www.madshrimps.be/2005/02/arctic-cool … g-the-fx5900xt/

I bought the cooler just after I got the card. Original cooler was very weedy, and loud!

It does mean I only have 1 useable PCI slot on this board. Fortunately I only need one!

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 210 of 210, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I got into memtest at 266Mhz FSB 1:1. This is as far as I can get. It crashed just after I took this photo

The attachment IMG_0070.jpeg is no longer available

I was booting from a usb floppy but couldn’t get it to load. Swapping to a proper floppy drive did the trick

Backtracking now to see where the FSB stabilises

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460