VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is this?
This is a list of RETAIL games released for Microsoft Windows 95 until Microsoft Windows XP(pre DX9) that work under Microsoft Windows 7 and later operating systems. This list only includes retail releases, no re-release by Steam or Good Old Games. The games listed uses OpenGL 2.0 and earlier, DirectX 8 and earlier, and older APIs, utilising the IA-32 architecture. This list doesn't guarantee every game will work under the mentioned operating system as many factors are decided by compatibility of the hardware and the drivers.

You can access the spreadsheet by clicking here.

Colour codes with a rating are used to determine a playability level, note that the description below is for the view of explanation and comparison between them and they don't depict the state of the game:
(S) Green= Perfect, every required component works.
(A) Cyan= Very playable with some things like intro video or higher resolutions or graphical settings that don't work.
(B) Yellow= Things like cutscenes or music or CD music doesn't work. Audio glitches may be present too.
(C) Orange= Runs but there are major issues in gameplay, graphics or no audio. The game may not save so you have to finish it in one run.
(D) Red= Doesn't work at all.
(S, A, B, C, D) Magenta= Doesn't run on Windows 11 due to EmulateHeap issue. Rating will be used in Playability Level area.

Can I post my games?
A few rules that you need to follow before entering anything in the spreadsheet:

1. The games that require patches to run should be limited to using emulators, installing shims, modifying dynamic link library or executable file or configuration file, or changing some system features like disabling DEP or disabling sound devices(neither of the latter two which I would recommend).
  2. Games can use update patches and no-CD.
  3. The default DirectX, DirectDraw, WinMM, Glide emulation wrappers should be used from the "TESTING SOFTWARE" section. If you use a different wrapper for the same, for example, if you use dgVoodoo2 for Glide, it is required to be mentioned.
  4. Games typically have problems with old CPU instructions, old graphics APIs or WinMM. Although less in number, fixes for games having problem with DirectInput or DirectSound can be added to the list.
  5. Most game mods change the original engine of the game or modify the game data. Games requiring these necessities to run on the mentioned operating systems are not qualified for this list. However mods that redefine the game engine files to disable hardware checks or remove unsupported code allowing the games to be run, are qualified for this list.
  6. Some games have problem with CD audio emulation using WinMM. If your game uses CD audio, you are required to check if the audio works properly(repeat of music or changing track of music).
  7. Some problems exist in the games and not in the system. For example, FOV bugs and crosshair bugs on higher resolutions, are game engine problems and are not mostly because of the modernity of the PC. Therefore, the spreadsheet isn't the list for fixing such games, games should be added following the fact that it runs with the original files(with a few tweaks at most as mentioned earlier).
  8. Entry should be made on the basis of whether the game runs on a Microsoft Windows 7 PC or later

MY TESTING HARDWARE
The games should be more compatible according to the list by me with the following hardware configuration:

OS- Microsoft Windows 10 19H2 and later/Windows 11
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU- nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
Sound card- Realtek HD Audio
GPU driver- After 400.x
Audio driver- After June 2019 (6.x)

TESTING SOFTWARE(Default)

CD emulation - DAEMON Tools Lite
CD audio emulation - CDAudio proxy/DxWnd
Glide emulation - nGlide v2.10 or later
DirectX emulation - dgVoodoo v2.61 and later, DirectDrawCompat, DirectDraw Compatibility Tool, WineD3D, DxWnd
RRedline emulation - RReady
Another emulation tool - DxWnd

Additional Information

1. Some games have problems when pausing/playing CD Audio. Use the 'CDAudio proxy' or 'DxWnd' wrapper to play the audio from the PC storage disk. Extract the files from the CD in formats like '.ogg', '.flac' and rename all the files, the first music ALWAYS starting with 'track02', followed by 'track03', 'track04'. Put the files in a folder 'Music' besides the MAIN executable file. If the game has multiple CDs, then put the tracks of the first CD in 'Music' directory, second CD in 'Music02' directory, third CD in 'Music03 directory', n'th CD in 'Musicnn' directory. A more detailed information is available in the official documentation of DxWnd.
  2. Some games have wrong shims applied to them and refuse to launch or run properly. In that case, rename the game executable(s).
  3. Applications utilising Microsoft Direct3D Mono (Ramp) device won't render correctly (most likely will have pink colour at least somewhere) on any Windows version since Windows 10 1809. Read more about a possible solution here.
  4. Some games don't run because of DEP enabled. If you face problems in running any of these games, try disabling DEP both in Windows and also in BIOS and then try to run the game.
  5. Intel HD Graphics and AMD Radeon users may have problems in using dgVoodoo2 with D3D11 because of incompatibility with drivers. In such cases DDrawCompat or DxWnd or WineD3D may be used instead or rather use dgVoodoo2 with D3D12.
  6. dgVoodoo2 emulates the old API in D3D11/D3D12 so performance may be bad on old/weak hardware. Under such cases, using a different wrapper is advisable.
  7. Some games use Indeo. Check the guides to enable or disable them.
  8. Every PC has different applications installed, different drivers, different hardware. There is no surety that it will work on every PC, but at least this list can confirm that a certain game can run given modern hardware. For a general requirement, I would say most of these fixes should work fine on AMD Catalyst drivers or Nvidia driver after 2017?(not quite sure).
  9. Some of the games I tried refused to play CD audio or functioned differently with CD audio when not using DAEMON Tools Lite. I assume Alcohol 120% drivers are more compatible with older software thus working properly on most cases. If you don't want to use Alcohol 120% but want to achieve proper CD Audio emulation, you can use DxWnd.
Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2023-11-17, 07:33. Edited 499 times in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Problems
Some problems mentioned by users that you may not get until you are using an outdated device or drivers, some have been fixed too. You may still experience these problems even on new device, so its handy to keep it easily accessible.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-11-16, 17:04. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 2 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mouse view didn't work for Quake on default but you can enable it by the game console

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-05-04, 18:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New entries:

Midtown Madness
Project I.G.I.
Project I.G.I.-2
MDK 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Prince of Persia 3D

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-11-16, 16:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 217, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Mouse acceleration" means something specific (and has its own compatibility issues) so you probably shouldn't use it to describe whether or not the mouse is working.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Mo … se_acceleration

Reply 5 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-04, 11:11:

"Mouse acceleration" means something specific (and has its own compatibility issues) so you probably shouldn't use it to describe whether or not the mouse is working.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Mo … se_acceleration

Ok thanks, i have edited the post

Reply 6 of 217, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it is more meaningful to call out Windows 10 on its own, especially Windows 10 x64. For myself, I skipped Win8/8.1 all together and jumped from Win7 to Win10. A handful of my collection of pre-DX8 games won't run on Windows 10 when they run normally with just the compatibility layer on Win7. They either quit back to desktop or simply stuck in the TaskManager with "not responding". Yes, dgVoodoo2 helps for some of those games on Windows 10.

And, Windows 10 default installation does not include legacy DirectPlay component. If the games were linked with DPLAY.DLL, then it would not start. Many old games hacks/patches/mods were focus for WinXP, some of them still apply for Win7, including the very helpful nGlide compatibility list that helps to get Glide games going on modern systems.

I used to have an installation of Win10 x32 and I found that legacy Windows games compatibility was better with x32 version, but I didn't keep the system long enough to check out others that I later found issues with Win10 x64. My transition WinXP->Vista->Win7 (all 32-bit version) did not observe any game compatibility issues for those games that I played without the need of dgVoodoo2. Later with Win7 64-bit, it was still OK. Only with Windows 10 x64 that I found most of those games stopped working.

Reply 7 of 217, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last time I had Windows 7 installed, I found that using the same workarounds as on Windows 10 was required. Newer graphic card and drivers had broken most of the same games that newer versions of Windows had. IMO Windows 7 is only significantly different compatibility wise than Windows 10 if you also have legacy hardware and drivers.

Reply 8 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-05, 07:09:

Last time I had Windows 7 installed, I found that using the same workarounds as on Windows 10 was required. Newer graphic card and drivers had broken most of the same games that newer versions of Windows had. IMO Windows 7 is only significantly different compatibility wise than Windows 10 if you also have legacy hardware and drivers.

Yes windows 7 and 8 and also 8.1 were different with other drivers.I used a Intel HD graphics on my Win8.1 x64 machine and NFS3 wouldn't boot unlike it would work on Win10 x64 machine.
Moreover I found DirectX compatibility issues(black screen) on my main PC with NFSHS as I did most of the research on Win8.1. Apart from drivers, it seems it was also hardware bound with same drivers.

Reply 9 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-04, 23:19:

I think it is more meaningful to call out Windows 10 on its own, especially Windows 10 x64. For myself, I skipped Win8/8.1 all together and jumped from Win7 to Win10. A handful of my collection of pre-DX8 games won't run on Windows 10 when they run normally with just the compatibility layer on Win7. They either quit back to desktop or simply stuck in the TaskManager with "not responding". Yes, dgVoodoo2 helps for some of those games on Windows 10.

And, Windows 10 default installation does not include legacy DirectPlay component. If the games were linked with DPLAY.DLL, then it would not start. Many old games hacks/patches/mods were focus for WinXP, some of them still apply for Win7, including the very helpful nGlide compatibility list that helps to get Glide games going on modern systems.

I used to have an installation of Win10 x32 and I found that legacy Windows games compatibility was better with x32 version, but I didn't keep the system long enough to check out others that I later found issues with Win10 x64. My transition WinXP->Vista->Win7 (all 32-bit version) did not observe any game compatibility issues for those games that I played without the need of dgVoodoo2. Later with Win7 64-bit, it was still OK. Only with Windows 10 x64 that I found most of those games stopped working.

DPLAY.dll is still available on Windows 10 on the Legacy Components section. There might be some games that would require different DPLAY.dll. In that case I would recommend you to use the one provided in the directx setup in game disk.

Reply 13 of 217, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are entire websites dedicated to things like this (ntcompatible, pcgamingwiki, etc.).
Do we really need a random list posted here?
Also, Diablo (the very first item on this list) has serious issues on both Win7 and Win8...

Reply 14 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aqrit wrote on 2020-05-11, 20:38:

There are entire websites dedicated to things like this (ntcompatible, pcgamingwiki, etc.).
Do we really need a random list posted here?
Also, Diablo (the very first item on this list) has serious issues on both Win7 and Win8...

Diablo doesnt have a specific fix and as you said about its issues on Win8 and Win7, I created it as I can get feedback from people with different problems how they fixed it

Reply 16 of 217, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This will end up a very big list 😉
Airfix: Dogfighter
Aliens vs Predator
Bang! Gunship Elite
Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2
Descent 3
Freespace 1 + 2
Wheel of Time
ps: i dont think Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a pre dx8 game (released 2001)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 17 of 217, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote on 2020-05-16, 23:00:
This will end up a very big list ;) Airfix: Dogfighter Aliens vs Predator Bang! Gunship Elite Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2 Desc […]
Show full quote

This will end up a very big list 😉
Airfix: Dogfighter
Aliens vs Predator
Bang! Gunship Elite
Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2
Descent 3
Freespace 1 + 2
Wheel of Time
ps: i dont think Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a pre dx8 game (released 2001)

OK I added them up in my list. If you/GOG have used any wrapper for this or any compatibility patch, you can edit your post to add them. That will be more helpful for those who dont use the GOG version of the games.
And yes Return to Castle Wolfenstein was OpenGL game, so I removed it

Reply 18 of 217, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

none of those games are gog and none have any special patches applied
avp used to need a patch but nvidia added a profile for it in their drivers

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness