VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 1781 of 2685, by vellu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking good, Killian! Now get some more room for that Roland SC-88VL under the monitor so it doesn't have be under the lamp 😉 Does your case have a spot for LED speed display? Seems like it could have just enough space on the left side.

retro rack

Reply 1782 of 2685, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-08-16, 19:05:

Is it possible to transfer files from NAS on win95 or 98 machine?

Yes, it's possible from both win95 and win98. I'm running Open Media Vault on my NAS, a Dell Wyse with two external HDDs attached.

You just need to set up networking on windows and use the same user/passwd to log in to windows networking as you have on the NAS. You can find a lot of tutorials on youtube.

Reply 1783 of 2685, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Killian wrote on 2020-08-16, 18:39:
I have finally finished my first retro build. […]
Show full quote

I have finally finished my first retro build.

xELUOfc.jpg

I like your setup very much! Good job!

Reply 1784 of 2685, by Killian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.
FTP - I am using WS_FTP, but that's just the first FTP client I found, there are many others. I used a simple network switch (no router) to connect my Windows 10 notebook with the retro PC. In Windows 95 you just need to set up the TCP/IP in the control panel. I just picked a manual IP address on both machines and that's it. You will probably need to disable firewall for private networks on Windows 10 or add some rules for FTP to be able to connect to this device. Windows 10 has a built-in FTP server, you just need to enable it and pick a folder you want to "share". I haven't tried NAS setup.

About the LED display - yes there is a place for the LED display, it's not installed. I only have a LED display that can go up to 199 MHz and this PC is 233MHz, somehow I don't like setting an arbitrary number 😀. Maybe I could use the jumpers to set the LED value to the word "HI" (I think I saw that somewhere). I think a full 3 digit LED will not fit the small window, but I will need to check.

Monitor stand - unfortunately both Rolands don't fit, I am missing a centimeter there 😀, it does bother me and I will need to hunt for some higher stand that will also fit the overall look (nothing too modern).

Reply 1785 of 2685, by vellu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Killian wrote on 2020-08-16, 20:28:

About the LED display - yes there is a place for the LED display, it's not installed. I only have a LED display that can go up to 199 MHz and this PC is 233MHz, somehow I don't like setting an arbitrary number 😀. Maybe I could use the jumpers to set the LED value to the word "HI" (I think I saw that somewhere). I think a full 3 digit LED will not fit the small window, but I will need to check.

I had mine set at "HI" and "LO" before i figured out how to do "33" and "66". Just check out the part number and you might be able to find configurations online

retro rack

Reply 1787 of 2685, by matieo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the monitor, keyboard and mouse in great condition when clearing out a store cupboard at work.

I could not resist raiding my parts box and some eBay auctions to make a system.

Dell Optiplex GX150 SFF
Tualatin 1.13 on i815E
512mb
80gb 7200rpm IDE drive
Low profile ATI Fire GL T2 64mb (Radeon 9600) or a 64bit Geforce MX440 (is there such a thing as a low profile 128bit MX440?)
ESS Solo 1 with Dreamblaster S2.
Windows 98 SE

o1dCR5h.jpg

Makes a decent late Windows 98 system with OK DOS compatibility. The ESSOLO using WBDMA seems like a good option for this system to enable DOS stuff but a Yamaha 7x4 with external MIDI might be better for games which support EMM386.

It does not get much use I have a Socket 370 440BX system with ISA slots which I switch between Ezra and modified Tualatin depending on my mood.

Sorry about my finger over the lens!

Gigabyte 440BX, C3 Ezra 866, Voodoo 3, 512mb, 32gb SSD, YMF718+Dreamblaster S2
Toshiba Satellite 320CDT 233mhz, 64mb, 32gb SSD

Reply 1789 of 2685, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matieo wrote on 2020-08-20, 14:12:

I found the monitor, keyboard and mouse in great condition when clearing out a store cupboard at work.

I could not resist raiding my parts box and some eBay auctions to make a system.

nice finds and the result of your efforts is a good looking set up!

Reply 1790 of 2685, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matieo wrote on 2020-08-20, 14:12:
I found the monitor, keyboard and mouse in great condition when clearing out a store cupboard at work. […]
Show full quote

Dell Optiplex GX150 SFF
Tualatin 1.13 on i815E
512mb
80gb 7200rpm IDE drive
Low profile ATI Fire GL T2 64mb (Radeon 9600) or a 64bit Geforce MX440 (is there such a thing as a low profile 128bit MX440?)
ESS Solo 1 with Dreamblaster S2.
Windows 98 SE

o1dCR5h.jpg

Makes a decent late Windows 98 system with OK DOS compatibility. The ESSOLO using WBDMA seems like a good option for this system to enable DOS stuff but a Yamaha 7x4 with external MIDI might be better for games which support EMM386.

It does not get much use I have a Socket 370 440BX system with ISA slots which I switch between Ezra and modified Tualatin depending on my mood.

Sorry about my finger over the lens!

Very nice system - moving the view window may be a bit too fast as in Warcraft as some actions are not relative to a fixed timer... a "hint" to a much slower era.

Reply 1791 of 2685, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a NOS ATX beige case a few months ago to make a build with a recently acquired Socket 7 bundle along with old parts I had laying around. Someone asked me for pictures of the case so here it is 😀

eVevB2hl.jpg

q2BJQdbl.jpg

TIT3YQ9l.jpg

Current configuration:

Abit AB-PX5 AT motherboard
64Mb SDRAM
P233MMX

STB Velocity 128
CT6170 Voodoo2 12Mb

SB16 CT2230
PCMidi Musicquest clone

Intel Pro 100 PCI network card

Adaptec 19160 SCSI adapter
2 SCSI 68-pin drives in removable racks:
WD Enterprise 2170 2.1Gb SCSI 3 (DOS 6.22)
IBM ULTRASTAR 18GB U160 SCSI (Win 98SE)
CF to IDE w/ Transcend 2gb Industrial card (DOS 6.22)

52x CD-Rom (tried with a SCSI CD-Rom drive but it wouldn't get recognised by Win98SE)
Teac FD-505 dual

Seasonic ATX w/ ATX to AT adapter

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1792 of 2685, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like the retro Evercase cases but shipping is a killer 🤣. Love to see these 5.25 bays filled, the Seasonic must have plenty of molex connectors 😀 Is the power btn AT or you have to mod it?

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1793 of 2685, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I bought the Seasonic used for cheap not knowing it only had 1 Molex connector! I then sourced a couple of SATA --> 2x Molex adapters and I've been able to plug everything 😀

I have done the button mod on a few of my previous cases but I didn't bother for that one. The ATX to AT adapter is permanently switched on and I just use the switch at the back of the ATX PSU to turn the machine on or off.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1794 of 2685, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautiful setup. I really need to find one of those I/O bracket for an AT motherboard so I can put my Socket 7 board in there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1795 of 2685, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My socket 7 Pentium MMX build, with pretty much every upgrade I could find for the ultimate MS-DOS PC experience.

ogYYvag.jpg rnEd7Za.jpg

Processor: Intel Pentium 233MMX
Motherboard: Biostar MB-8500TTD
Chipset: Intel 430 TX
RAM: 64MB DIMM
HDD: 8GB Compact Flash
FDD: 3.5" 1,44mb
CD: Plexwriter CDRW 8/4/32
Video1: S3 Virge DX (expanded to 4mb)
Video2: 3DFX Voodoo 2 8MB
Sound1: Soundblaster 64 AWE GOLD
Sound2: Primax AltraSound (GUS clone) (expanded to 1mb)
Network: Realtek RTL8029 PCI

TbuOJGJ.jpg

Sitting on the desk:
- Highscreen MS1575P CRT Monitor
- Trust Dynamic Soundwave 20 speakers
- Roland MT-32 (old 1987 PCB
- Roland SC-88
- Microsoft Serial mouse on a Genious Mouse Pad (I also have the corresponding Genius mouse)
- Generic DIN keyboard

The Soundblaster, GUS, MT32 and SC-88 are routed through a 4 channel mixer, so I can control their volume seperatly. Very handy for games that do not support volume level control! I've rebuild the Trust speakers by taking the 12v transformer out and replacing it with a Nintento Wii power brick, so there is no more interference with the monitor.

FwoOtVS.jpg

On the inside I had to modify the USB cable, since in the early USB1.0 days, not every manufacturer used the same pinout. So far for it being "universal". Tried to do as much cable management as PATA and a small case allow me to. The Pentium MMX case badge on the front was made by myself.

sgxqM5D.jpg
I've got this fantastic Gravis Midi adapter, which has MIDI IN/OUT/TRU and also rocks two joysticks ports for my Warrior 5 Joystick and Thrustmaster Primiere Gamepad. I also have a race steering wheel for this setup, but it's packed away for the moment.

Still got one ISA slot and one PCI slot left for an upgrade. Any suggestions? 😀

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1796 of 2685, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hezus wrote on 2020-09-21, 15:07:
My socket 7 Pentium MMX build, with pretty much every upgrade I could find for the ultimate MS-DOS PC experience. […]
Show full quote

My socket 7 Pentium MMX build, with pretty much every upgrade I could find for the ultimate MS-DOS PC experience.

ogYYvag.jpg rnEd7Za.jpg

Processor: Intel Pentium 233MMX
Motherboard: Biostar MB-8500TTD
Chipset: Intel 430 TX
RAM: 64MB DIMM
HDD: 8GB Compact Flash
FDD: 3.5" 1,44mb
CD: Plexwriter CDRW 8/4/32
Video1: S3 Virge DX (expanded to 4mb)
Video2: 3DFX Voodoo 2 8MB
Sound1: Soundblaster 64 AWE GOLD
Sound2: Primax AltraSound (GUS clone) (expanded to 1mb)
Network: Realtek RTL8029 PCI

TbuOJGJ.jpg

Sitting on the desk:
- Highscreen MS1575P CRT Monitor
- Trust Dynamic Soundwave 20 speakers
- Roland MT-32 (old 1987 PCB
- Roland SC-88
- Microsoft Serial mouse on a Genious Mouse Pad (I also have the corresponding Genius mouse)
- Generic DIN keyboard

The Soundblaster, GUS, MT32 and SC-88 are routed through a 4 channel mixer, so I can control their volume seperatly. Very handy for games that do not support volume level control! I've rebuild the Trust speakers by taking the 12v transformer out and replacing it with a Nintento Wii power brick, so there is no more interference with the monitor.

FwoOtVS.jpg

On the inside I had to modify the USB cable, since in the early USB1.0 days, not every manufacturer used the same pinout. So far for it being "universal". Tried to do as much cable management as PATA and a small case allow me to. The Pentium MMX case badge on the front was made by myself.

sgxqM5D.jpg
I've got this fantastic Gravis Midi adapter, which has MIDI IN/OUT/TRU and also rocks two joysticks ports for my Warrior 5 Joystick and Thrustmaster Primiere Gamepad. I also have a race steering wheel for this setup, but it's packed away for the moment.

Still got one ISA slot and one PCI slot left for an upgrade. Any suggestions? 😀

Thats one nice and clean build.
PCI V2 for SLI or PCI soundcard if also running Win9x
ISA Yamaha card for true OPL and XG Midi.

But that's just me trying to fill the slots for the sake of it. Personally I'd leave it as-is, empty slots don't bother me

Reply 1797 of 2685, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-21, 15:20:
Thats one nice and clean build. PCI V2 for SLI or PCI soundcard if also running Win9x ISA Yamaha card for true OPL and XG Midi. […]
Show full quote

Thats one nice and clean build.
PCI V2 for SLI or PCI soundcard if also running Win9x
ISA Yamaha card for true OPL and XG Midi.

But that's just me trying to fill the slots for the sake of it. Personally I'd leave it as-is, empty slots don't bother me

Thanks! 😀

I've had Voodoo2 SLI in mind, but it's not really increasing performance much. I've got a Pentium 2 with a Voodoo3 for the 3dfx games that need that extra punch. And those Voodoo2 cards are getting more and more expensive, so it's not really worth it, imho. I've got an SB16 CT2830 with a NEC XR385 Daughterboard for extra sound support, which works as a 3rd soundcard, but I'm running out of IRQs to get them all working simultaneouosly. I managed to create some space on IRQ 10, but not all games have that channel as an option. So, I'm going to transfer that one to an 486DX4, along with an ESS Audiodrive (for SB pro support).

The empty slots are alright for me too. I managed to free them up by moving the serial ports to their dedicated slots above. I did the same for the USB bracket. Interestingly enough they designed the USB bracket with the dimensions of a 25pin serial / parallel connector in mind. As you can see, the screws perfectly align with the corresponding holes. This then also gives you the freedom to orient the ports the way you like.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1798 of 2685, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found this P2 350 Mhz PC yesterday.
It has an ATI 3D rage pro in it.
its also running win XP. I think i want to install win 98 on it instead.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ORhG4v

Reply 1799 of 2685, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2020-09-21, 20:38:
I just found this P2 350 Mhz PC yesterday. It has an ATI 3D rage pro in it. its also running win XP. I think i want to install […]
Show full quote

I just found this P2 350 Mhz PC yesterday.
It has an ATI 3D rage pro in it.
its also running win XP. I think i want to install win 98 on it instead.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ORhG4v

you found it? nice find, looks clean too! I'd agree win98 for this one.