Topic actions

Reply 120 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote on 2020-11-21, 12:03:
daniel_u wrote on 2020-11-16, 21:13:

Great news !
Does this guy have the time to look into other Splinter Cell related issues? There are a couple i described in my posts.
Looked in git, not sure i see this user doing patches for games. 😀 Do you have a link with his git page.?

I bookmarked this page where he posted some SC stuff. I think killer-m is jackfuste that was active on WidescreengGaming forums until it shut down. If that is really him, he is a very friendly person, helped me few times when I asked.

https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/issues/725

For the records. Opened it a long time. No response. Oh well. 😀
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/issues/275

Reply 121 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Dege, long time no see.
So i've been testing the latest version released(not wip) with SC2PT and i have some good news. With this version i can see the heat haze near fire objects(forced resolution to 4k, 4800 Ti preset) but it seems the halo/bloom on some objects is broken.Pixelated and shifted a bit. Here how it looks:
hPnJbRc.png
Are you able to replicate this or my settings got corrupted?[Edit: some other user i talked to, reported the same thing..so i tihnk there is an issue.] Also i've seen this with certain old drivers back in the past. Maybe driver issue?
Not sure, heat haze resolution got fixed since i last tested, but widescreen patch from internet(thirteenag) is 'breaking' it,less of the effect. Anyway good work and good to see you still alive 😀.

Edit: I noticed the bloom/halo doesnt flicker anymore when the camera is moving/mouse move. In previous versions it's there, i reported the issue in the game page thread, some time ago.
Tested with latest wip and it's the same. Also tested every combination of the option available.Still the same.

Also here's another bug. It dosnt detect 4k 60 Hz option. Only 59.
MW2VFkb.png

Reply 122 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-12-07, 20:32:

@Daniel: Is resolution forced through dgVoodoo?
Btw, refresh rate at 4k isn't 59.9 Hz or sg like that and that's why dgVoodoo displays it as 59Hz?

Yes, forced resolution to 4K.
About refresh rate, i dont know. Nvidia control panel shows 60 fps and it's beeing set.
I thought it's better to show you as i dont know whats going on.

Reply 123 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-08, 07:25:
Yes, forced resolution to 4K. About refresh rate, i dont know. Nvidia control panel shows 60 fps and it's beeing set. I thought […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote on 2020-12-07, 20:32:

@Daniel: Is resolution forced through dgVoodoo?
Btw, refresh rate at 4k isn't 59.9 Hz or sg like that and that's why dgVoodoo displays it as 59Hz?

Yes, forced resolution to 4K.
About refresh rate, i dont know. Nvidia control panel shows 60 fps and it's beeing set.
I thought it's better to show you as i dont know whats going on.

Try it with unforced resolution at 4K set from the game. Unfortunately some post-process effects proved to be incompatible with resolution forcing, in other games too.

dgVoodoo truncates the refresh rate values for displaying them to the user, nVidia cpl may round it (I don't know), that's why the 59/60Hz dubiosness is present.

Last edited by Dege on 2020-12-11, 08:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 124 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try it with unforced resolution at 4K set from the game. Unfortunately some post-process effects proved to be incompatible with resolution forcing, in other games too.

Tried it. Without resolution forcing in game heat haze is not visible/effect is minimum and the aura/ bloom flickers with camera movement.
With res forcing heat haze is ok, bloom doesnt flicker but its broken.

Very strange. Some things get fixed while resolution forcing and others get broken. At this moment, imho. SCPT is better with res forced. 😁

Reply 125 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-08, 16:16:
Tried it. Without resolution forcing in game heat haze is not visible/effect is minimum and the aura/ bloom flickers with camer […]
Show full quote

Tried it. Without resolution forcing in game heat haze is not visible/effect is minimum and the aura/ bloom flickers with camera movement.
With res forcing heat haze is ok, bloom doesnt flicker but its broken.

Very strange. Some things get fixed while resolution forcing and others get broken. At this moment, imho. SCPT is better with res forced. 😁

Ah, I forgot that you force the resolution because of the heat haze... I bet heat haze is there even with large app resolution but it's just very small, rendered in the same size as in 640x480.
So, yes, your best option is to play the game in forced resolution in areas with heat haze and ignore the imperfect upscale of the bloom effect.

Last edited by Dege on 2020-12-11, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 126 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I forgot that you force the resolution because of the heat haze... I bet heat haze is there even with large app resolution but it's just very small, rendered in the same size as in 640x480.
So, yes, your best option is to play the game in forced resolution in areas with heat haze and ignore the imperfect upscale of the bloom effect.

Can it be patched?
Can you tell us exactly what resolution is beeing used for the bloom and heat haze?
I mean we can go there, patch the bytes and create versions for each resolutions if we know what to patch.😀 1080p, 4k and so on. 😀 I suspect core.dll is the dll with the issues.
Edit: It seems this heat haze issue is caused by the resolution the game is set. When using the wrapper,with forced res, the code for heat haze still thinks it is 480p, i think. The rest of elements(bloom) are rendered as per resolution set and produce unwanted results.
Yeah...a multiplier somewhere in code for the bloom . Heat haze seems to be rendered with some pre-defined params.

I know it's not really on your list but maybe you can give us some more info about the issue? 😁
Thanks Dege for your replies.

Reply 127 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi dege ....
there is an issue with the light rendering in SCPT in one place as far as i know
it is rendering fine with an old version only (d3d8_0_05)
I tried many version of djvoodoo2 but no luck
if it is possible to be fixed that will be great
and the bloom is not broken in the old version
thanks a lot 😀
dgvoodo2 2.73 v
v d3d8_0_05

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Filename
    Untitled2.png
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    dgvoodo2 2.73
    File license
    Public domain
  • Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    506.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    v d3d8_0_05
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 128 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-10, 00:02:
Hi dege .... there is an issue with the light rendering in SCPT in one place as far as i know it is rendering fine with an old […]
Show full quote

Hi dege ....
there is an issue with the light rendering in SCPT in one place as far as i know
thanks a lot 😀
dgvoodo2 2.73 v
v d3d8_0_05

I confirm that the light,coming out the door, is not visible as it shoud be in that area. I even checked my old videos capture. It seems there are still some small issues with the light and shadows.
That is the Israel level , near the start of the mission, first corner to the left.
@hishamerrish
Try and older version pre dx9-dx11 era 😀 Is it the same?

Reply 129 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-11, 21:44:
I confirm that the light,coming out the door, is not visible as it shoud be in that area. I even checked my old videos capture. […]
Show full quote
Hi dege .... there is an issue with the light rendering in SCPT in one place as far as i know it is rendering fine with an old […]
Show full quote

Hi dege ....
thanks a lot 😀
dgvoodo2 2.73 v
v d3d8_0_05

I confirm that the light,coming out the door, is not visible as it shoud be in that area. I even checked my old videos capture. It seems there are still some small issues with the light and shadows.
That is the Israel level , near the start of the mission, first corner to the left.
@hishamerrish

Oh my GOD you really know this game 😀
i tried evrey version of dx8
the only one has the light visible is http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/scellpt/index.html
the bloom is not broken
the force res in djvoodoo 2 not working on this on only the ThirteenAG widescreen fix works fine
i have no ide about the older version pre dx9-dx11 era !!
could you gave me info

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    355.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    the light rendering difference here
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 130 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-11, 23:32:
Oh my GOD you really know this game :) i tried evrey version of dx8 the only one has the light visible is http://www.jiri-dvor […]
Show full quote
I confirm that the light,coming out the door, is not visible as it shoud be in that area. I even checked my old videos capture. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi dege ....
thanks a lot 😀
dgvoodo2 2.73 v
v d3d8_0_05

@hishamerrish

the only one has the light visible is http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/scellpt/index.html
the bloom is not broken
the force res in djvoodoo 2 not working on this on only the ThirteenAG widescreen fix works fine
could you gave me info

Try 2.54 .

The guy that did the original implementation was an active user here, Komat(the url posted by you is his) i think. He was the first who created a working versions and release the source code. Fans here(lowenz and me and some other few) gave Dege directions towards Komat work. Dege then fixed some issues with komat versions and fixed/enabled some other good stuff related to the game. So Komat versiosn is inferior to what dgvoodoo does. Old SC games require specific fixes which cant be present on a generic wrapper but this doesnt mean the wrapper is perfect. 😁

Yeah bloom is missing/flickering or its very small. Same for heat haze.
Color of the light still wrong in some areas.

But hey, look at the good side, it's free and close to the original. Future developements might fix the issues. And i 'm still very grateful. SC reminds of my childhood and some lost friends.
If you want the best experince get xbox one x and get the OG xbox discs(double agent is event better than the PC/360 versions). The ports are rendered to 4k without any issues.

PS:
And lets report the issues and comments to the game thread: dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games. I feel this is polluting the purpose of this thread. Thank you.

Reply 132 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-12, 09:44:
Try 2.54 . […]
Show full quote
hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-11, 23:32:
Oh my GOD you really know this game :) i tried evrey version of dx8 the only one has the light visible is http://www.jiri-dvor […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

@hishamerrish

the bloom is not broken
could you gave me info

Try 2.54 .

The guy that did the original implementation was an active user here, Komat(the url posted by you is his) i think. He was the first who created a working versions and release the source code. Fans here(lowenz and me and some other few) gave Dege directions towards Komat work. Dege then fixed some issues with komat versions and fixed/enabled some other good stuff related to the game. So Komat versiosn is inferior to what dgvoodoo does. Old SC games require specific fixes which cant be present on a generic wrapper but this doesnt mean the wrapper is perfect. 😁

Yeah bloom is missing/flickering or its very small. Same for heat haze.
Color of the light still wrong in some areas.

But hey, look at the good side, it's free and close to the original. Future developements might fix the issues. And i 'm still very grateful. SC reminds of my childhood and some lost friends.
If you want the best experince get xbox one x and get the OG xbox discs(double agent is event better than the PC/360 versions). The ports are rendered to 4k without any issues.

PS:
And lets report the issues and comments to the game thread: dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games. I feel this is polluting the purpose of this thread. Thank you.

you absolutely right my friend the game very close to the original and i thank you all for the amazing work
sure i will report any think with the game in your thread thanks a lot daniel

Reply 133 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-12, 20:32:
Hi Dege, Posting the bug from the main thread here. There should be a light coming out of the door but is not, as per Hishamerri […]
Show full quote

Hi Dege,
Posting the bug from the main thread here.
There should be a light coming out of the door but is not, as per Hishamerrish . This is definitely an wrapper issue:
ZYCD0gb.png

Here how it should look:

atTClSP.png

Hi Danial
i tried th 2.54 v its better than the rest of all ver ... you need to copy the dgVoodooCpl.exe to the game system and use the DX8.0 that come with the 2.54 ... it will make the bloom better
and the shadow res only render with dgVoodoo force res and the WidescreenFix dose not render the shadow
here two images one with dgVoodoo force res and the other with WidescreenFix both of them 1080p

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 134 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ hishamerrish 2.54 seems to be the best. You can try older ones and see if there is one that works even better but going backwards might enable other fixed issues.
Worth a try to help Dege compare code and find out the issue.
Also dont use d3d8 from 13ag 😀 widescreen files, always use the one from Dege.
Setting like: force res to:1080p with 8MSAA might look the best. I tried 4k + 8MSAA and seems to be preaty smooth bloom.

@Dege here how the bloom looks with 2.54, forced res to 4K. Still pixelated but not shifted which it makes harder to spot:
HQb4Jad.png
2.7x
hPnJbRc.png

So over time it got worse. (that why i decided to create this thread for SC before the move to higher dx api's. 😁.New things break old things. One of the rules of development.). When you have the time maybe you can have a look why it happens!
Maybe we you can limit the bloom or avoid to apply the resolution like it happens(i tihnk) for the heat haze.

Not sure how these things works(this is an wrapper) but for example in emulators world, there are settings like a resolution scale threshold, where certain things are not 'enhanced'. Just trying to give you an ideea.
GcpLno8.png
There might be games out there which have the same issues, even in DX 9 era. A slider/or range of values should be as options to be able to be set per user desire.
https://github.com/rpcs3

The bug, from above posts, where the light is not present in front of the door is still there, with 2.54.

Reply 136 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-14, 19:10:

@ hishamerrish 2.54 seems to be the best. You can try older ones and see if there is one that works even better but going backwards might enable other fixed issues.

Well, I don't think so. I remember reports complaining about lagging rendering, depending on the current camera-view. This problem is gone since the HLSL compiler was replaced by the internal code generator.
Also, water rendering was broken with forced resolutions or MSAA even with that version.

hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-14, 22:10:

I can tell the issue start with dgVoodoo2.62.3 and later before this v they all the same result as the 2.54

Then, broken bloom must be because of the change I did to resolution scaling calculations in the 2.6x series.
The missing shadows is interesting though... what's the exact level/position in the game?

Reply 137 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-12-16, 11:12:
Well, I don't think so. I remember reports complaining about lagging rendering, depending on the current camera-view. This probl […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote on 2020-12-14, 19:10:

Well, I don't think so. I remember reports complaining about lagging rendering, depending on the current camera-view. This problem is gone since the HLSL compiler was replaced by the internal code generator.
Also, water rendering was broken with forced resolutions or MSAA even with that version.

hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-14, 22:10:

I can tell the issue start with dgVoodoo2.62.3 and later before this v they all the same result as the 2.54

Then, broken bloom must be because of the change I did to resolution scaling calculations in the 2.6x series.
The missing shadows is interesting though... what's the exact level/position in the game?

@Dege: Splinter cell Pandorra Tommorow: The mission is Jerusalem mission at the very start ,it's right after you climb the stairs ,first opened door to the left(police guard will 'welcome you' ). If you want a savegame let me know.
I didnt notice issues with SCPT with MSAA and forced res. Maybe SC1(i know for sure MSAA and forced res dont work right) Will double check though for SCPT.

Edit:
About SC1:
You said this in the past: Shiny floor is because the game sets up the pixel pipeline with a config producing shiny floor. Old GF4 (driver or chip?) misinterpreted the config so the bug didn't get revealed back then.

So i've played some more SC1 and i noticed something by mistake...if i change this flag in the config EmulateGF2Mode=1 the shiny texture glitch doesnt happen anymore.
From what i noticed some textures(near the very entrance..just black) and effects are not rendered but it might help you understand why it happens when you switch if off.(whats the difference)

Edit 2: Geforce 2 was a DX 7 card i think. that means no shaders. Logic tells a shader is not working right. 😁

PS: i know you have other things on your mind and you are busy...but maybe it might be interesting for you.

Last edited by daniel_u on 2020-12-17, 12:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 138 of 232, by hishamerrish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote on 2017-01-10, 15:19:
For SC 1 (640x 480 no MSAA or reslution forcing) we have(game bugs): 1.Shiny texture bug Bug https://i.imgur.com/c1G3fAZ.png Nor […]
Show full quote

For SC 1 (640x 480 no MSAA or reslution forcing) we have(game bugs):
1.Shiny texture bug
Bug
c1G3fAZ.png
Normal
NJDdaUy.png

2.Shadows and light appear/disappear based on mouse movement or distance.
3.Missing shadows compared to the XBOX version.

Advices:
1.Play game without resoultion forcing or MSAA to avoid artifacts.(ex: water oil rafinery, begining of CIA level, etc )
2.To force resolution use games config.
3.Use 4800 preset for classic light(2.54)
cX3FnXZ.png

Use DgVoodoo-5700 Ultra for soft light
1NMe1Pq.png

Notes:
1.Game is dependent on the monitor refresh rate. 30 fps is the original. Going higher will cause some elements to 'move' too fast(light beams)

For SC 2 we have:
1.Color of the light is wrong.
DEpVOkc.png
2. Crosshair in the middle of the screen, flashing. (Fix: alt tab out the game and go back in, or user bordeless gaming app, remove cursor option)
3.There should be a light coming out of the door but is not, as per Hishamerrish . This is definitely an wrapper issue:
ZYCD0gb.png

Here how it should look:

atTClSP.png

To play the game with all the effects: use 2.54 version with a resolution which doesnt pixelate the bloom,480p-1080p resolution with full 8x MSAA.(might generate other issues)
--to be updated

Game Bugs:
1.Heat haze is resolution dependent.
Here's how it looks on 640x480(distorted image of the wood in the background). On higher res the effect will be less/small visible. The higher the res the less/small intense the effect will be. The heat haze on higher res will be at the bottom where the fire can barely be visible.
lyWFOaP.png
2.Missing bloom and flickering of the corona of lights..(windows,exterior button lights of elevator/lift, candles in the first level, etc)
CEU5Jso.jpg
P8JETCZ.jpg
Because of the high resolution some effects are small. Use 480p or a litlle higher with MSAA to have them all visible and rendered ok.
Forcing the game witth DgVooDoo latest(2.7x) ,to a higher resolution 'fixes'(wrapper might ignore something and game thinks is still renders the heat haze in 480p) the heat haze but breaks the bloom(it becomes pixelated and shifted to the right a bit).
hPnJbRc.png
For 2.54 seems it is better:(fixes the flickering because of the higher res, no matter the the version)
HQb4Jad.png
--to be updated

Notes:
1.Game is dependent on the monitor refresh rate. 30 fps is the original. Going higher will cause some elements to 'move' too fast(light beams)

Recommended version(imho) for SC 2 : 2.54 .
Recommended version(imho) for SC 1 : use latest 2.7x atm .

hi
about the bug in the CIA mission i think it is reflection .... the xbox original dose not have reflection in that place or dose not render it ( i do not know ) maybe UBI turned it off to avoid the issue ... when i set EmulateGF2Mode=1 instead of ForceShadowMode the bug disappeared
if someone could turnoff the reflection that will solve the issue if that was possible ...

Reply 139 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hishamerrish wrote on 2020-12-17, 00:52:
hi about the bug in the CIA mission i think it is reflection .... the xbox original dose not have reflection in that place or do […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote on 2017-01-10, 15:19:
For SC 1 (640x 480 no MSAA or reslution forcing) we have(game bugs): 1.Shiny texture bug Bug https://i.imgur.com/c1G3fAZ.png Nor […]
Show full quote

For SC 1 (640x 480 no MSAA or reslution forcing) we have(game bugs):
1.Shiny texture bug
Bug
c1G3fAZ.png
Normal
NJDdaUy.png

2.Shadows and light appear/disappear based on mouse movement or distance.
3.Missing shadows compared to the XBOX version.

Advices:
1.Play game without resoultion forcing or MSAA to avoid artifacts.(ex: water oil rafinery, begining of CIA level, etc )
2.To force resolution use games config.
3.Use 4800 preset for classic light(2.54)
cX3FnXZ.png

Use DgVoodoo-5700 Ultra for soft light
1NMe1Pq.png

Notes:

For SC 2 we have:
1.Color of the light is wrong.
DEpVOkc.png
2. Crosshair in the middle of the screen, flashing. (Fix: alt tab out the game and go back in, or user bordeless gaming app, remove cursor option)
3.There should be a light coming out of the door but is not, as per Hishamerrish . This is definitely an wrapper issue:
ZYCD0gb.png

Here how it should look:

atTClSP.png

To play the game with all the effects: use 2.54 version with a resolution which doesnt pixelate the bloom,480p-1080p resolution with full 8x MSAA.(might generate other issues)
--to be updated

Game Bugs:
1.Heat haze is resolution dependent.
Here's how it looks on 640x480(distorted image of the wood in the background). On higher res the effect will be less/small visible. The higher the res the less/small intense the effect will be. The heat haze on higher res will be at the bottom where the fire can barely be visible.
lyWFOaP.png
2.Missing bloom and flickering of the corona of lights..(windows,exterior button lights of elevator/lift, candles in the first level, etc)
CEU5Jso.jpg
P8JETCZ.jpg
Because of the high resolution some effects are small. Use 480p or a litlle higher with MSAA to have them all visible and rendered ok.
Forcing the game witth DgVooDoo latest(2.7x) ,to a higher resolution 'fixes'(wrapper might ignore something and game thinks is still renders the heat haze in 480p) the heat haze but breaks the bloom(it becomes pixelated and shifted to the right a bit).
hPnJbRc.png
For 2.54 seems it is better:(fixes the flickering because of the higher res, no matter the the version)
HQb4Jad.png
--to be updated

Notes:

Recommended version(imho) for SC 2 : 2.54 .
Recommended version(imho) for SC 1 : use latest 2.7x atm .

hi
about the bug in the CIA mission i think it is reflection .... the xbox original dose not have reflection in that place or dose not render it ( i do not know ) maybe UBI turned it off to avoid the issue ... when i set EmulateGF2Mode=1 instead of ForceShadowMode the bug disappeared
if someone could turnoff the reflection that will solve the issue if that was possible ...

Is not that simple. You have reflections in the settings, in the ini and it can be turned off. But it doesnt affect the bug.
The gane loads a certain file for a certain level. The file is found in texture folder, CIA something.utx.
In this file you can find : all kind of textures, shaders and other stuff i cant even describe.

On the floor , if you pay attention, theres 2 kinds of textures. One of these, blueish one, doesnt (big marble tile name texture in the file) produce the glitch.
For each marble texture there is also a shader, i think. For the ones that produce the glitch, shader is called marble_reflect or something. That produces a whiteish effect when you move around on it.

My ideea is that a certain shader or shaders produces the wrong effect.
When the camera turns there is a certain texture/shader that is applied 'under' the effect of that marble tile shader, that produces some kind of motion effect.
The black color comes from that motion effect and it seems that should be there. The glow comes from a certain shader that affects the entire texture and the entire area of that texture.

This motion shader(a black with some white circles texture applied on the entire world) and marble reflect shader might produce the issue. Without debugging we cant tell for sure, just guess.

There's 2 things i want to try:
-hex edit, switching the texture names. Load texture without glitch where is there a glitch and the reverse. If this works maybe we can find out if the shaders affects a certain type of texture or it affects the area.
-edit the utx file file and replace the texture with the one that doesnt produce the effect.

Utx files are editable and i must find the proper tools. Very hard to find in 2020. I barely found a working viewer.
So the goal is to find an unreal engine editor and play with this file.