Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 38120 of 52361, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
W.x. wrote on 2021-02-18, 16:36:
Yep, never saw such before, probably because Im still searching for GF2MX vanilla more than half year, noone has answered on my […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:50:
Maybe I'm missing something. I just searched that entire article for "heatsink" and only managed to find references to adding a […]
Show full quote

Maybe I'm missing something. I just searched that entire article for "heatsink" and only managed to find references to adding a fan to an existing heatsink and RAM-heatsinks for overclocking.

I would never dispute that more cooling is needed for overclocking of almost any chip.

However, to say that all GF2 MX cards came with heatsinks unless they were modified, is just not true. Not all MX cards were intended for overclocking. They were incredibly common in prebuilt systems, and the OEM cards used often had no heatsinks. I wouldn't expect big overclocks from these... core or memory. But I was never even talking about that, so... 😮

I just checked my "Big Box O' MX cards" and found these. Keep in mind, I don't have MX200 cards in this box... these are all Geforce 2MX (vanilla).
20210218_105441.jpg

We have here two low profile nvidia-branded P180-0039 cards (labeled for Dell and IBM... they're identical to the one from the Dell I was posting about!), one MSI MS-8835 (built for Dell) and one Creative card (built for Compaq). All the most common names in the OEM add-in-card business from the time. No heatsinks at all. Also notice how the PCBs aren't discolored from heat. The cards work 100% fine without heatsinks and get nowhere near as hot as something like a Voodoo 3 (which burns and discolors the PCB over time, even with a heatsink... and yet some of THOSE were sold without them).

Anyway, my only reason for posting this is to clarify that the card in the Dell system posted earlier was not modified, and that those cards are extremely common, and are perfectly good cards as-is.

Yep, never saw such before, probably because Im still searching for GF2MX vanilla more than half year, noone has answered on my want ad. I alraedy have MX200 and 400 versions, but searching for vanilla too. So, you are tempting me with that screenshot of vanilla MX's . 😀

Would not probably had OEM version of this card before. All big companies, names, and I saw like at least hundreds of MX, MX200, MX400, all had heatsink on them. But it's true, none of them was OEM.

Thank you, for showing me non-heatsink versions. As far as i know, common cards sold in Box for customers as GF2 MX alone, always had heatsink. I saw so many pictures, of all various MX, from Asus to no-name, and all had heatsinks. Good to know, some OEM didnt have. Would probably sold worse, when would be sold in box this way. Because graphic card with heatsink looked more "cool" (not temperature-wise), and from Geforce2, in 2000 and 2001, everyone expected good results, so thats why probably they always included heatsink in boxed version. Anyway, it's 4W card, true, it can work probably without heatsink. But to be honest, as customer, I would for sure WANT to have heatsink on it, if you ask me. I would probably put heatsink, If I've got in some box this kind of GF2MX, I would really thought previous user took it away, cause I saw this kind of behavior lots of time, selling cards without heatsinks, although originaly they were put on.

To be less offtopic, I've just got these, it's my first 486 board, finally after half year, I've manage to get decent deal for 36$. It's asus pvi-486sp3 rev1.21 and AM5x86-x5-133adw https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/am5x86/amd-x5-133adw

Today, I've tested it, and it seems ok. Booted into BIOS.

You're correct that boxed cards were probably always equipped with heatsinks. They had to actually compete on some level with each other, so having less effective cooling would have certainly made one card less desirable. Also, we have to remember that the original 2MX (vanilla) was a mid range card, not an entry level card (TNT2 M64 was probably still the most common entry level card until the MX200 came out). The premium price of buying a decently capable gaming card was likely worth the few cents it cost to have it equipped with a heatsink. For OEM cards, it didn't matter, because the customer couldn't even know what the card looked like until they owned the system... and few people bought Dell or Compaq systems off the shelf if they were intending to overclock.

Also, very nice board+CPU you found there! And a nice price! 😁

Today I got my Salient AT3000 in the mail! It came shipped in a re-used box that says "CalComp - A Lockheed Company" on it... which is pretty nifty, if totally unrelated to this card. I'm happy to report that it does function. I threw it in a 440BX system and it booted right up. The BIOS display shows that it is a 1MB card (the Falcon64 portion anyway). In Windows 98SE it was detected as a non-PNP ET4000, which I found kind of hilarious. The drivers are installed but I get the message that the display driver isn't installed properly, and I can't set anything above 640x480x4. It also detects an unknown device... presumably the TIGA chip or the mysterious Xylinx FPGA chips. Next I will see if installing a generic Daytona64 driver will work.

Would love to find a proper Salient driver set for this thing!

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2021-02-19, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 38122 of 52361, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got myself one of the holy grail items of MIDI equipment. Complete in box with disks, manuals and everything else 😀

Attachments

Reply 38123 of 52361, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
winuser_pl wrote on 2021-01-07, 14:11:

I just received SO-DIMM 2MB SGRAM expansion for my Dell Optiplex GXa.
I paid 6 euros from electromyne Germany. I installed the memory into slot and it worked out of the box - 4 MB total of memory. Now the graphic card can do 1600x1200 at 16bit or 1024x768 at 32 bit. The problem is, the card output quality at 1600x1200 is a tragedy 😁
Also I wonder if put 4MB SO-DIMM would it work? It's ATI 3D Rage PRO

I have a similar onboard card, I was able to fix the shimmering output at 1600x1200 by changing the sync polarity (need to install the Ati drivers).

Reply 38124 of 52361, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2021-02-19, 06:59:

GRAVIS-ACE.jpg

Got this delivered on my desk. I've been looking for V1.1 for a long long while and finally here it is.

Great. Compared to 1.0, does it have anything extra apart from reversed stereo?

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 38125 of 52361, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2021-02-19, 09:44:

Great. Compared to 1.0, does it have anything extra apart from reversed stereo?

That's prolly all that is to it. I wanted this for the fact that 1.1 was the last version for ACE.

Reply 38126 of 52361, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arvid wrote on 2021-02-19, 08:19:

Got myself one of the holy grail items of MIDI equipment. Complete in box with disks, manuals and everything else 😀

OMG, congratulations. Just out of curiosity - was it pure luck or did you have to sell a liver? 😉

Feeling even more insignificant now about adding some items to my collection. Some 486 CPUs already arrived, even more to come.
Ah, yes, and a random IDE CD drive and a MS mouse came along (I know, the mouse isn't special or old, but at least it is beige).

486-collection-downgrading (1).jpg
Filename
486-collection-downgrading (1).jpg
File size
341.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 38127 of 52361, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-19, 10:25:

OMG, congratulations. Just out of curiosity - was it pure luck or did you have to sell a liver? 😉

Lucky I guess, little interest in it so I got it for about 75 Euro including shipping. There are som problems with some of the built in SC-55 functions but the MPU interface works perfect which is what I will use it for anyway since I have 2 SC-55 already 😀

Reply 38128 of 52361, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Managed to find a set of Harman Kardon HK195 Speakers the other day. Really pleased, they are mint with the manual!
Also Network Q Rally Rally Championship X-Miles addon. Only had the base game back in the day.

Attachments

• InkedHK195_LI.jpg
    Filename
    InkedHK195_LI.jpg
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    HK195
    File license
    Public domain
  • Rally Championship X-Miles.jpeg
    Filename
    Rally Championship X-Miles.jpeg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    X-Miles Addon
    File license
    Public domain

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 38129 of 52361, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:50:
Maybe I'm missing something. I just searched that entire article for "heatsink" and only managed to find references to adding a […]
Show full quote
W.x. wrote on 2021-02-18, 04:41:
Well, read this then :) https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=aut … po-pretaktovani I would not run it without heatsink, af […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-14, 03:39:

I doubt these were user-modified overclocking cards... many many Geforce 2 MX cards were produced and sold without heatsinks. They could function fine this way and I have had at least a couple dozen like this in the last few years. For what it's worth, I have never come across an MX with an aftermarket heatsink.

Well, read this then 😀 https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=aut … po-pretaktovani
I would not run it without heatsink, after overclocking.
Personaly, didnt see GF2 MX without heatsink from decent company. Maybe some noname? Don't know.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just searched that entire article for "heatsink" and only managed to find references to adding a fan to an existing heatsink and RAM-heatsinks for overclocking.

I would never dispute that more cooling is needed for overclocking of almost any chip.

However, to say that all GF2 MX cards came with heatsinks unless they were modified, is just not true. Not all MX cards were intended for overclocking. They were incredibly common in prebuilt systems, and the OEM cards used often had no heatsinks. I wouldn't expect big overclocks from these... core or memory. But I was never even talking about that, so... 😮

I just checked my "Big Box O' MX cards" and found these. Keep in mind, I don't have MX200 cards in this box... these are all Geforce 2MX (vanilla).
20210218_105441.jpg

We have here two low profile nvidia-branded P180-0039 cards (labeled for Dell and IBM... they're identical to the one from the Dell I was posting about!), one MSI MS-8835 (built for Dell) and one Creative card (built for Compaq). All the most common names in the OEM add-in-card business from the time. No heatsinks at all. Also notice how the PCBs aren't discolored from heat. The cards work 100% fine without heatsinks and get nowhere near as hot as something like a Voodoo 3 (which burns and discolors the PCB over time, even with a heatsink... and yet some of THOSE were sold without them).

Anyway, my only reason for posting this is to clarify that the card in the Dell system posted earlier was not modified, and that those cards are extremely common, and are perfectly good cards as-is.

I know from experience that these GF2MX cannot handle a decent workload without a heatsink. Way in the past, my nephew took his DELL PC with him when he visited.
When we played BF1942, his PC would keep locking up.
When I opened the case, I was amazed that the GF2MX had no heatsink. The issue was fixed the instance I added one...

Reply 38130 of 52361, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More fun stuff from ewaste at the same flat rates! ($10 per motherboard and $5 per card)

The SB 2.0 and Orchid card will probably find a home in my 286, and I may have to try a build with the IWill board

75WZtad.jpg
7d0OdSv.jpg
r0xYJ6c.jpg

Reply 38131 of 52361, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome, I'd love to own one but never will as I could never stomach the price they fetch!

Reply 38132 of 52361, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mtgmackid wrote on 2021-02-19, 14:29:

More fun stuff from ewaste at the same flat rates! ($10 per motherboard and $5 per card)

The SB 2.0 and Orchid card will probably find a home in my 286, and I may have to try a build with the IWill board

Very nice lot! Just watch the caps on that Iwill board. A couple look swollen on top.

Reply 38133 of 52361, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gabriel-LG wrote on 2021-02-19, 14:28:

I know from experience that these GF2MX cannot handle a decent workload without a heatsink. Way in the past, my nephew took his DELL PC with him when he visited.
When we played BF1942, his PC would keep locking up.
When I opened the case, I was amazed that the GF2MX had no heatsink. The issue was fixed the instance I added one...

*shrug*
I didn't manufacture them.

Of the 30-40 MX cards I've tested in recent years, none had overheating issues, though I didn't game on them for hours and my test bench is well ventilated. Anyway, I'm not here to be the defender of OEM un-cooled MX cards, I was just stating the facts. 😀

Reply 38134 of 52361, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great find! Yours look 99% complete but IIRC new SCC-1 cards also came with a pair of RCA audio cables with RCA to 6.35mm jack adapters. I suppose most owners misplaced these long ago.

May I ask which of the non working "built-in SC-55 functions" are you talking about?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 38135 of 52361, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-19, 16:10:

*shrug*
I didn't manufacture them.

Of the 30-40 MX cards I've tested in recent years, none had overheating issues, though I didn't game on them for hours and my test bench is well ventilated. Anyway, I'm not here to be the defender of OEM un-cooled MX cards, I was just stating the facts. 😀

Well, back then, y0u know how it was with cooling conditions in many those retro baige cases... 😀 (no intake fan, lots of IDE, LPT, COM wide cables, bad cable management, lots of cards and stuff close to AGP slot. If OEM builder designed it bad, to put Geforce 2 MX without heatsink and play on it heavily, was suicide. Particulary, if even noname version, with worse construction/memories, was used. Also, if thunderbird CPU was presented, which was putting much more heat into the case, troubles can be around. But anyway, thank you for note, that really non-heatsink version existed. Didn't know about it.

Reply 38136 of 52361, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MMaximus wrote on 2021-02-19, 16:47:

Great find! Yours look 99% complete but IIRC new SCC-1 cards also came with a pair of RCA audio cables with RCA to 6.35mm jack adapters. I suppose most owners misplaced these long ago.

May I ask which of the non working "built-in SC-55 functions" are you talking about?

When I´m using the built in SC-55 to play music it has stutters, distortion and other strange artifacts in some games. I have just done some very limited testing on this so far. Doom sounds completely fine (E1M1 at least), but Duke Nukem 3D is so bad it´s unusable (grabbag). No idea what is causing this, perhaps a recap is in order or something else more fundamental is wrong?

Reply 38137 of 52361, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2021-02-17, 10:16:

Picked up a very cheap boxed Boss DR-330 "Dr.Synth" midi module with manual today. Battery had started to leak but I removed it and there is no damage. Unit works great

Any chance you bought it from Austria? Along with Roland keys?

Reply 38138 of 52361, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally managed to find a non-OEM Audigy 2ZS today. I'll throw it in to my 98 machine when I eventually set that back up. I still need to figure out how I can get my Aureal Vortex working at the same time for those rare games where there's proper A3D 2.0 support.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 38139 of 52361, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote on 2021-02-19, 18:48:
Bancho wrote on 2021-02-17, 10:16:

Picked up a very cheap boxed Boss DR-330 "Dr.Synth" midi module with manual today. Battery had started to leak but I removed it and there is no damage. Unit works great

Any chance you bought it from Austria? Along with Roland keys?

No, I bought this off UK eBay.