VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 32kofdata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all... I've been using softmpu with a ROLAND MT32 hooked up to a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 (CT1600) quite successfully. /OUTPUT:SBMIDI at address 330. Most of the games I've used this setup with work well always under pure DOS.

Recently I got my hands on a ROLAND SC-88 in order to play later DOS games but unfortunately I don't have much success.
For example Doom and Duke Nukem 3D report MPU-401 not detected regardless if I choose General Midi or Sound Canvas. What could I be doing wrong with games that support General Midi or Sound Canvas?

The SC-88 is working properly, I've tried older games with it like Budokan, Sam n Max, Prince of Persia, etc and even though the compatibility is not perfect (CM64mode/SC55map) at least I get the software to communicate with the device.

Reply 2 of 6, by 32kofdata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-05-06, 09:15:

SoftMPU works with real mode games only, and also with games that use Miles Sound System drivers (HOMM2, for instance).

Makes sense... so I'm guessing there are no software options for what I'm trying to do - need to go to a hardware solution?

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you can always use a SB16 or similar card that has a normal UART MPU-401 interface so that the SC-88 will work fine with GM/GS games and use softmpu for mt-32 gaming like you do now.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by 32kofdata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-05-06, 09:57:

Well you can always use a SB16 or similar card that has a normal UART MPU-401 interface so that the SC-88 will work fine with GM/GS games and use softmpu for mt-32 gaming like you do now.

Is the Soundblaster Pro 2.0 any different from an SB16 in that respect? (normal UART MPU-401 interface?)

Reply 5 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
32kofdata wrote on 2021-05-06, 10:11:
keropi wrote on 2021-05-06, 09:57:

Is the Soundblaster Pro 2.0 any different from an SB16 in that respect? (normal UART MPU-401 interface?)

It has a MPU401 compatible, but buggy, interface. I would recommend a clone card such as an Aztech, Opti, ESS. Many topics can be found on that - matching your SBPro's features is easy.

Reply 6 of 6, by 32kofdata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did some more testing with the SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 (CT1600) . In intelligent mode SC88 works just fine but whenever a game requires UART nothing. Will not detect MPU-401. I guess I'm stuck.