VOGONS

Regressive bugs - report them here

Topic actions

First post, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately I can't test dgVoodoo against my all testbase each time I release a new version (because that itself requires a few days), so things can get broken with a new release, no matter how carefully I verify my code.
I hate these regressive type bugs the most - they hurt the principle of "always the latest version is the best".

If you find one then you can report it here, hopefully I can fix it. I intend this topic to be a collective topic.

Please don't report the most annoying one: D3D11 is broken with AMD drivers as of dgVoodoo 2.55. I'm aware of that and cannot do much about that.

Reply 1 of 115, by gernumikus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize in advance, maybe this is the same problem as with directx 11. Sacred Gold 2.28 GOG crashes when loading a level. I use dgvoodoo 2.75 directx 12 win 10 card amd 7850.
It turned out that all games do not work with dx12 and crash. Apparently the card doesn't fully support dx12. But directx12 work in Matrox Parhelia demo...very strange.

Reply 2 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMD 7850 is a really old card, it has a DX12 driver? Btw, I had such a card and if I remember right, it wasn't affected by the broken AMD drivers. I mean, it worked as expected with DX11 when I last time tested it with the 2.6.x series.

Reply 3 of 115, by gernumikus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, there is support for dx12, and I have successfully tested it in a benchmark. I tested a couple more games on dx12 render, everything works. In general, I will have to check old drivers and use dx11. Once again I apologize, it looks like this is not related to the latest version of dgvoodoo and regression.

Reply 4 of 115, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reminder to give Wipeout another look then:
Wipeout XL/2097 broken on 2.63 and newer
Still broken in 2.75.1

When I tried it again now I noticed a cracked version without videos run fine, but when videos are introduced a dgVoodoo version lower than 2.63 is needed.

Reply 5 of 115, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

StarTrek: Starfleet Command III broke since 2.74:
Re: SFC3 invisible Warp Bug (Not the warp bug, new color problem)

Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars broke since 2.75:
Re: Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars and dgvoodoo2

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis since 2.74:
Re: Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis

Colors rendered incorrectly in some or all part of in-game 3D screen.
All the above games are directX8 based. Screenshots included in each links. Use default config.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation
Since 2.74, the game will crash to desktop after intro video is played. (In stbof.ini, 3D=DIRECT3D)

Last edited by yochenhsieh on 2021-07-24, 02:44. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 6 of 115, by gernumikus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe for someone it will be important. On driver 18.6.1 with directx 11, there are no problems, no white textures are observed. You can safely use the latest versions of dgvoodoo with amd radeon (HD 7850 card and similar). I have checked dgvoodoo 2.75 and 2.75.1
Earlier drivers have problems with Vulkan, it is simply missing.

I know that it was said about white textures a long time ago, but drivers 21.5.2 are final and there will never be any updates for this card again. Maybe you could add a fix sometime? When will you have time?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yochenhsieh wrote on 2021-07-23, 11:45:
StarTrek: Starfleet Command III broke since 2.74: Re: SFC3 invisible Warp Bug (Not the warp bug, new color problem) […]
Show full quote

StarTrek: Starfleet Command III broke since 2.74:
Re: SFC3 invisible Warp Bug (Not the warp bug, new color problem)

Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars broke since 2.75:
Re: Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars and dgvoodoo2

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis since 2.74:
Re: Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis

Colors rendered incorrectly in some or all part of in-game 3D screen.
All the above games are directX8 based. Screenshots included in each links. Use default config.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation
Since 2.74, the game will crash to desktop after intro video is played. (In stbof.ini, 3D=DIRECT3D)

I could only check out SFC3 and Jurassic Park at the moment (with 2.75.1 on nvidia) but I couldn't reproduce any of those problems.
I cannot remember if you're on Win7, but if not, could you try those games with D3D12? The problems you reported seem to be the same "color" problem that causes "monochrome" or completely solid textures with D3D11 on AMD. Or, you can try the MS WARP software renderer to check against a reference driver.

Reply 8 of 115, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Win7 PC and a Win10 laptop, but on Win10 laptop the Radeon HD8250 GPU only has DirectX 11.1 capability.
If I set to use d3d12_fl11_0:
SFC3: After loading mission, it seems no problem at first, but soon crashed to desktop.
JPOG: Crashed to desktop while loading a savegame.

Reply 9 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gernumikus wrote on 2021-07-23, 13:42:

Maybe for someone it will be important. On driver 18.6.1 with directx 11, there are no problems, no white textures are observed. You can safely use the latest versions of dgvoodoo with amd radeon (HD 7850 card and similar). I have checked dgvoodoo 2.75 and 2.75.1
Earlier drivers have problems with Vulkan, it is simply missing.

I know that it was said about white textures a long time ago, but drivers 21.5.2 are final and there will never be any updates for this card again. Maybe you could add a fix sometime? When will you have time?

I still have my HD7850 somewhere around but the machine I used it with is gone. Maybe if my current machine can handle 2 dGPU's then I can try it under Win10.
But, unfortunately it's not just about time. As you wrote, dgVoodoo works fine with older AMD drivers, so it's undoubtedly a driver bug. The worst scenario to debug is when the bug is not in your code.
The only help would be searching for the first dgVoodoo version where the thing broke, and experiment with it and a previous working version to see what change the driver doesn't like.
But I don't have the source for those old WIP versions... so the situation seems to be hopeless.

Reply 10 of 115, by NTxC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Game: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PC.
Issue: Camera is spinning uncontrollably if using dgVoodoo2 v2.72. Issue is not present in dgVoodoo2 v2.45. The usual fix of editing Game.ini and putting DeadZoneXYZ to True to stop the spinning does NOT work.

Edit: after some research it seems that the version the problem starts on is v2.51. Unfortunately it's also the version that includes the feature I want the most (render stretched with aspect ratio intact) for the first time. 😭 Version v2.5 seems to be working fine, but damn, no keeping aspect ratio with that one.

Reply 11 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't remember if it's an Unreal engine game, but the spinning, unstoppable camera is often caused by the mouse cursor "being stuck in a wrong position" coming from forced resolution or a wrapper-scaled output like Stretch with AR.
Try either option 'FreeMouse' or (in case of UE) make sure that the ingame resolution given in the UE ini files is larger than half of your desktop resolution.

Reply 12 of 115, by NTxC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-08-15, 09:03:

I can't remember if it's an Unreal engine game, but the spinning, unstoppable camera is often caused by the mouse cursor "being stuck in a wrong position" coming from forced resolution or a wrapper-scaled output like Stretch with AR.
Try either option 'FreeMouse' or (in case of UE) make sure that the ingame resolution given in the UE ini files is larger than half of your desktop resolution.

Indeed it is an Unreal Engine game. Wow, I had no idea dgVoodoo2 had hidden, "advanced" settings. Had I known I would've tried the "Free Mouse" option right away. Anyway, that option worked and the camera is not spinning anymore. Thanks dege!

Reply 13 of 115, by XxMiltenXx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I discovered a problem with dgVoodoo 2.75 and Need for Speed: High Stakes. If I use DirectX the game cannot find any resolutions. I only get "Bad Index 0" within the resolution selector of the game. The game starts normally, but I will have a black screen once I start a race (HUD and menu work properly though). Glide works fine.

I tried a custom DirectX d3da DLL for widescreen (I believe it is DirectX 7?) and the DirectX 9 d3da DLL which comes with NFS:HS Patch 4.5 or the Expansion/Stock Pack.

2.74.1 and earlier versions work correctly with both DirectX d3da DLLs above, so I doubt that one of them is the issue.

Reply 14 of 115, by PixelHunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Playing "Emperor: Battle For Dune" with 2.75.1 with an AMD 5700XT on Windows 10, if I leave "Output API" set to "Best available one", I get a bunch of corrupted textures and textures that don't load at all. I'm able to reproduce this with 2.55 but not 2.54, which strongly implies this is the "D3D11 is broken with AMD drivers as of dgVoodoo 2.55" bug you noted in the OP. However, my card is DX12 capable, so I wouldn't expect DX11 being broken to cause any issues. Selecting an output API of either "Direct3D 12 (feature level 11.0)" or "Direct3D 12 (feature level 12.0)" resolves the issue. Shouldn't "Best available one" choose DX12 automatically, especially when it can detect DX11 is broken?

Reply 15 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PixelHunter wrote on 2021-09-16, 22:40:

Playing "Emperor: Battle For Dune" with 2.75.1 with an AMD 5700XT on Windows 10, if I leave "Output API" set to "Best available one", I get a bunch of corrupted textures and textures that don't load at all. I'm able to reproduce this with 2.55 but not 2.54, which strongly implies this is the "D3D11 is broken with AMD drivers as of dgVoodoo 2.55" bug you noted in the OP. However, my card is DX12 capable, so I wouldn't expect DX11 being broken to cause any issues. Selecting an output API of either "Direct3D 12 (feature level 11.0)" or "Direct3D 12 (feature level 12.0)" resolves the issue. Shouldn't "Best available one" choose DX12 automatically, especially when it can detect DX11 is broken?

I chose D3D11 to be the default because of the problems with D3D12 listed in the dgVoodoo readme. But honestly, I get so many reports about this AMD problem that I'm considering D3D12 to be the default for AMD (based on hw vendor ID, if that possible) despite those issues.
(I admit that naming 'Best available' is not really in consistency with the current working mechanism of choosing the output API, but D3D12 is not inevitably better than D3D11 in some respects. 😁)

Reply 16 of 115, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
XxMiltenXx wrote on 2021-08-29, 11:14:

I discovered a problem with dgVoodoo 2.75 and Need for Speed: High Stakes. If I use DirectX the game cannot find any resolutions. I only get "Bad Index 0" within the resolution selector of the game. The game starts normally, but I will have a black screen once I start a race (HUD and menu work properly though). Glide works fine.

I tried a custom DirectX d3da DLL for widescreen (I believe it is DirectX 7?) and the DirectX 9 d3da DLL which comes with NFS:HS Patch 4.5 or the Expansion/Stock Pack.

2.74.1 and earlier versions work correctly with both DirectX d3da DLLs above, so I doubt that one of them is the issue.

I tried all of the DirectX7/8/9.0b renderers but worked as expected. In fact, there should be no difference between 2.74.1 and 2.75.1 in regard of display and resolution handling. So, it's weird.

Reply 17 of 115, by XxMiltenXx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for testing.

I also re-tested 2.75.1 once more and now it works properly. I changed back some settings I used at that time but I couldn't reproduce it anymore. No idea what the issue was when I reported the issue. If I come across this issue again I'll let you know.

Reply 18 of 115, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a problem which seems related to the ones mentioned above.
In recent dgVoodoo versions Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 stopped working for me.
2.73 - everything works correctly.
2.74 - FMV do not work (white screen)
2.75 or later - FMV do not work as above, additionally fonts in menus are garbled (all letters are white rectangles)

Tried various output API values and it does not seem to change anything (except WARP, which works but is obviously too slow)

I have HD7850, Windows 10, current AMD drivers (21.5.2)

Reply 19 of 115, by DaLeX97

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-07-20, 15:50:
Unfortunately I can't test dgVoodoo against my all testbase each time I release a new version (because that itself requires a fe […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately I can't test dgVoodoo against my all testbase each time I release a new version (because that itself requires a few days), so things can get broken with a new release, no matter how carefully I verify my code.
I hate these regressive type bugs the most - they hurt the principle of "always the latest version is the best".

If you find one then you can report it here, hopefully I can fix it. I intend this topic to be a collective topic.

Please don't report the most annoying one: D3D11 is broken with AMD drivers as of dgVoodoo 2.55. I'm aware of that and cannot do much about that.

Not sure if this count's as a regressive bug, but here's a thread I made on Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, maybe you can see if something's wrong with dgVoodoo:
Rainbow Six Rogue Spear Windows 7 Visual Bugs & FPS Drops