VOGONS

IBM APTIVA MASTER RACE!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My IBM Aptiva socket 7 motherboard has an option for an Intel Pentium or AMD K6 CPU.
What would you say play’s games better in Windows 98se ?
And should I add a PCI voodoo card ?

Attachments

Reply 61 of 99, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

My IBM Aptiva socket 7 motherboard has an option for an Intel Pentium or AMD K6 CPU.

Got exactly the same which I'm just about to get out the loft this evening. It was shipped with the K6-300. At one point I put a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with a K6-2 400 (You have to set the muti to 2x) but the motherboard can only cache 64mb of RAM so ended up chopping it all around and put an Intel Pentium 200 in it for a while, will add a Voodoo 2.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 62 of 99, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Can it do K6-2 or just K6? If the board allows for Vcore to go as low as 2.1/2.2V then you can probably just use a K6-2 and it will be the best CPU that system can use, but I am doubtful about this. Most likely it can do 2.8-3.3V so you are stuck between K6 and MMX cpus. Between those two, MMX is significantly faster clock for clock but the fastest K6 (300) will beat the fastest MMX (233) in most tasks. This is down to K6's respectable integer operations performance but the MMX's floating point performance is better so it does much better in software rendered 3D games. Thus adding a PCI voodoo card is exceptionally useful if you go for a K6 CPU instead of a Pentium MMX - it levels the playing field. I personally prefer K5/K6/K6-2 to Pentium/MMX/PentiumII but that is just taste. From a sheer performance and compatibility point of view the Intel chips and chipsets are slightly superior.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 63 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, It came with an AMD K6 or K6-2 @ 300 or 333mhz. I don't remember.
But I am partial to Intel CPU's so I put a Pentium 233mmx CPU in it.
I just always had good success with Intel CPU's.
Previously, AMD CPU's always gave me problems.
But I must have been setting them up wrong with jumpers because they work fine now.

I still prefer Intel for an all around CPU.
But AMD CPU's are preferred by many gamers.

Reply 64 of 99, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/sEVGlq2m.jpg […]
Show full quote

sEVGlq2m.jpg

the rear

What is that power supply connector looking port with the 12v and speaker symbol sticker for?

Reply 65 of 99, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

What is that power supply connector looking port with the 12v and speaker symbol sticker for?

Probably to connect 12V DC powered speakers, the first ATX case I bought in the late 90's came bundled with a pair of crappy speakers and had a similar connector in the back.

Reply 66 of 99, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Some Aptivas came with matching speakers and were usually powered vie 12VDC. Aptivas and other cases of that time featured a 12VDC breakout sometimes and DC to DC cables to connect the speakers so you don't need another power connection for the speakers.

Reply 67 of 99, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elpast0r wrote:

1) Is it safe to use this psu?

I have never had any problems with those two IBM power supplies. They have brown Nichicon capacitors inside, which can last many more years. I'm not sure what you have heard.

By the way, that API-3186S PSU should be an excellent replacement, because it's more powerful (on all rails) which means less 'stress' on the components.

Reply 68 of 99, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elpast0r wrote:
While searching for the psu I also got my hands on a S3 virge(diamond) and a Rage pro Turbo. When browsing through google and yo […]
Show full quote

While searching for the psu I also got my hands on a S3 virge(diamond) and a Rage pro Turbo.
When browsing through google and youtube it looks like I just have to plug in the cards in the correct slot, install the drivers and maybe disable the onboard graphics? (As the cd-rom wasnt working, I got myself some floppy-disks and an external drive.)

2) Do i just plug in the cards and install the drivers?
3) Are those cards any good for my 'goal'? The info i found online seems to tell me they are.

Yes, you can disable the onboard graphics chip (from SiS or ATI, depends on your board) by setting a jumper. Thereafter you install a graphics card and then the driver (usually it's this sequence).

If you want to play DOS games, then the S3 Virge card is a great choice (maybe not the best, but absolutely fine for most games). The Rage Pro Turbo card is designed for Windows 9x games and the bottleneck in your system with that card will be the slow CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_ViRGE

Reply 70 of 99, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I've always liked that case design. Something about it is just... right.

Reply 72 of 99, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

S3 ViRGE is also great for modern gaming

It's also great for "deep learning". Who needs the RTX Titan!!!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 73 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my favorite computer case.
They look so clean and simple with the front door closed.
IBM Aptiva 2176-C73

I really like the IBM PS/1 486 Essential/Value PC too.

IBM really did succeed in making there windows/dos installations simple and fail proof.
I like to use the IBM disk images in my IBM 486’s
And IBM disk image installations in my Aptiva’s.

Attachments

• vintage-computer-ibm-ps-consultant_1_277c7bf3b71f9e11a3c2c432ecb2769a.jpg
    Filename
    vintage-computer-ibm-ps-consultant_1_277c7bf3b71f9e11a3c2c432ecb2769a.jpg
    File size
    364.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IBM-PS1-001.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-PS1-001.jpg
    File size
    131.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ibm.jpg
    Filename
    ibm.jpg
    File size
    117.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-02.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-02.jpg
    File size
    382.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-01.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-01.jpg
    File size
    376.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 74 of 99, by Elpast0r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
Yes, you can disable the onboard graphics chip (from SiS or ATI, depends on your board) by setting a jumper. Thereafter you inst […]
Show full quote
Elpast0r wrote:
While searching for the psu I also got my hands on a S3 virge(diamond) and a Rage pro Turbo. When browsing through google and yo […]
Show full quote

While searching for the psu I also got my hands on a S3 virge(diamond) and a Rage pro Turbo.
When browsing through google and youtube it looks like I just have to plug in the cards in the correct slot, install the drivers and maybe disable the onboard graphics? (As the cd-rom wasnt working, I got myself some floppy-disks and an external drive.)

2) Do i just plug in the cards and install the drivers?
3) Are those cards any good for my 'goal'? The info i found online seems to tell me they are.

Yes, you can disable the onboard graphics chip (from SiS or ATI, depends on your board) by setting a jumper. Thereafter you install a graphics card and then the driver (usually it's this sequence).

If you want to play DOS games, then the S3 Virge card is a great choice (maybe not the best, but absolutely fine for most games). The Rage Pro Turbo card is designed for Windows 9x games and the bottleneck in your system with that card will be the slow CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_ViRGE

Hi!

Glad to hear the psu is safe to use, and maybe even a bit 'better' then the old one.
I had some trouble with connecting because the cables were rather stiff, but got everything connected in the end.

All seems to be working properly now. At first there were some hardware and sound problems but after finding the correct drivers and switching slots a few times, he finally recognized my vibraC sound card. The looks on your friends faces when they see you transfering those drivers using floppy's is priceless btw 😀

Good to hear that the s3virge is a suitable card for my build. It looks like the Rage Pro has a different slot type than is available on my motherboard. (agp?) So I think maybe for another computer someday.

The next 'assignment', is getting the sound working in dos and installing the s3.

Since I just had to look up what a jumper is, I first have to catch up on some reading. (think there is a Trident chipset onboard)

Thanks for your response,

Reply 75 of 99, by Jonathan777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I was wondering if someone on here knew the dimensions/measurements of this computer.

Attachments

Reply 76 of 99, by soupapes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote on 2018-06-03, 01:21:

I've not tried the newer Aptivas like those you pictured. They're always out of my price range. Intellistations are really cool and built well...

Hi, did your aptiva already come with Pentium 200 CPU or did you install it later? If so, didn't you have any error with the BIOS not recognizing the CPU?

- IBM Aptiva 2176/P166/Matrox Millenium 4Mb/Voodoo1 4Mb/48Mb/8Gb+8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- 486 DX2 66/CL-GD5424/32mb/HD 600mb/Mozart601/Dos6.22+Win3.11
- P166MMX/S3VirgeDx/96Mb/8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- P4 3GHz/FX5700/2Gb/HD 80Gb+160Gb/Win XP

Reply 77 of 99, by echothedolphin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have any of you fine Aptiva owners that have a system with a riser card had issues with ISA cards causing the system to not boot?

I've got a 2176 and post-cleaning and restoration the Mwave card just causes it to not post, no beeps. It boots with a PCI card but only occasionally seems to see it. Power comes through clean, connections are solid. I have a similar issue on an identical motherboard, however that motherboard was on its last legs too. I've tried two different riser cards on both mobos. Original

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread and thank you!

Reply 78 of 99, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an IBM Aptiva 2178 with a P3 600 Coppermine. Then i installed 128Mb RAM PC133, a DVD drive and an HDD and a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card. As sound card i'm using the embeeded ESS Allegro 1.

But i have a weird problem. the PC do "one long beep and three short" before the first BIOS screen, i can't figure out what could be. I searched into the BIOS, i disabled useless things to me ( Like serial-parallel port, power managment.....etc ) but nothing changes. Except that the PC works like a charm.....i did stabilities tests, 3dmark 2000, games.....everything is fine! But still there is this BEEP code at the boot.

Also, there is nothing for monitoring the hardware, like temperatures, voltages...is that normal ? The BIOS is empty, and SpeedFan, AIDA64, HWInfo says nothing, looks like they can't detect any info hw chips ( if there exist into the motherboard ). I can't believe IBM didn't put anything.

Here's the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k8pFW6gvFH6t … iew?usp=sharing

Last edited by _StIwY_ on 2023-05-13, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 99, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-05-13, 09:30:
I got an IBM Aptiva 2178 with a P3 600 Coppermine. Then i installed 128Mb RAM PC133, a DVD drive and an HDD and a Voodoo 3 3000 […]
Show full quote

I got an IBM Aptiva 2178 with a P3 600 Coppermine. Then i installed 128Mb RAM PC133, a DVD drive and an HDD and a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card. As sound card i'm using the embeeded ESS Allegro 1.

But i have a weird problem. the PC do "one long beep and three short" before the first BIOS screen, i can't figure out what could be. I searched into the BIOS, i disabled useless things to me ( Like serial-parallel port, power managment.....etc ) but nothing changes. Except that the PC works like a charm.....i did stabilities tests, 3dmark 200, games.....everything is fine! But still there is this BEEP codes at the boot.

Also, there is nothing for monitoring the hardware, like temperatures, voltages...is that normal ? The BIOS is empty, and SpeedFan, AIDA64, HWInfo says nothing, looks like they can't detect any info hw chips ( if there exist into the motherboard ). I can't believe IBM didn't put anything.

Here's the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k8pFW6gvFH6t … iew?usp=sharing

Have you checked the battery? I also remember having a similar issue on my Aptiva but mine was a 2134 model... iirc it was related to some APM setting on bios... Also, did you try the diagnostics disk for that model, if it has one?