VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many boards out there with owners that would love to upgrade. Often a good easy to build vrm module is what stands in their way

Some of these projects have already popped up but could use some more development and maybe more exposure could help find more supporters

I’m aware of at least two people who have started such a project, necroware has a video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NLGfocviU about theirs and there was a project for the gigabyte ga-586dx which I lost the link for, and possibly a few others.

It seems to me we could have a round up thread for these projects where we pool our information and help one another with this

With enough creative minds for this in one place we may even be able to design a vogons brand socket 5-7 interposer. For upgrading without a vrm module.

It may be that a general use circuit could be designed and simply the board edge could be modified for each application to fit different boards.

One edge could be for socket 7 vrm, a different edge could be for socket 8, and yet another could be a socket 7 interposer like a powerleap, there could also be a break out style one for use on boards like ga-586dx (but we already have a pretty good answer for that one, which I lost the link to can someone link it?)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chinese made DC-DC converters are not made properly, they are passive using simple opamp feedback to produce simple fixed voltage but not suitable for CPU use. Not what you expect from a proper VRM with a IC that has more features.

Second, someone need resources to design and make 2 or 3 phase VRM with quality smaller inductors for more quieter ripple and faster response for high watts like K6-2 500MHz and up.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Gigabyte GA-586HX (Rev. 1.53)

Here is that other project I couldn’t recall.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Wacky experiments: running a K6-2 on Socket 5 without an interposer

Another

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 4 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2019-w … ing%20regulator.

Some good reading about vrms.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 VOLTAGE Interposer.

Re: SoCat-57 a Socket-5-to-7 Interposer design

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Fixing up a Soyo SY-5TF Socket 7 Motherboard

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IBM Personal Computer 365 / M/T: 6589-17U / Voltage Regulator Module (VRM)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

file.php?id=140381&mode=view

file.php?id=140380&mode=view

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interceptor) Tweaker. (Beta)

CalamityLime made this VRM module for the socket 5/7 tweaker devices. It turned out really well. Huge thanks!!! It should also work for 3.3v and socket 1/2/3 tweaker as well.

Edit see updated version later

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2024-03-29, 15:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to have ground via next to V0ut via to keep power paths short. This is called floating condition and is bad electrical design because ground is now long paths back to the power supply about 50 cm long. Wrong wrong, trouble trouble! 😀

Cheers,

Reply 10 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-06-26, 16:03:

You need to have ground via next to V0ut via to keep power paths short. This is called floating condition and is bad electrical design because ground is now long paths back to the power supply about 50 cm long. Wrong wrong, trouble trouble! 😀

Cheers,

We removed it because the ground is rather annoyingly located under the heatsink clip on the interposer. I suppose running it to a motherboard mount would accomplish the same thing or just using the pad it has.

The long ground path increases the resistance of the wiring. Didn’t figure it was enough to be significant though. But I guess low voltage DC has a habit of low transmission distance. Of course the power supply is adjustable.

I can add the ground path back I suppose 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not the resistance at DC, it is the current noise that thinking processor makes will travel back via highest resistance to ground and causes floating "grounds" on the DC-DC converter to be also noisy and therefore resulting noise travel through the DC-DC converter VRM power circuit to the CPU through VRM's capacitors.

In other words, the ground now have more resistance losses and now vibrates the VRM and appears on the VRM's output. This is biggest reason the datasheet *always* specify shortest or massive ground and equally massive power planes. Remember less voltage, more massive the current transients are. That's nature of ohm law.

Cheers,

Reply 12 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-06-26, 20:43:

It is not the resistance at DC, it is the current noise that thinking processor makes will travel back via highest resistance to ground and causes floating "grounds" on the DC-DC converter to be also noisy and therefore resulting noise travel through the DC-DC converter VRM power circuit to the CPU through VRM's capacitors.

In other words, the ground now have more resistance losses and now vibrates the VRM and appears on the VRM's output. This is biggest reason the datasheet *always* specify shortest or massive ground and equally massive power planes. Remember less voltage, more massive the current transients are. That's nature of ohm law.

Cheers,

ah, good point, I’ve delt with that in solar design. Makes total sense. Good points. Thanks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 13 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran into this too with noise back in the high school on my project, was around 1993. My set up was 4 small boards of few TTL plus 64 bits SRAM (iirc 7489), yes 64 bits total, input and output is 4 bits wide, giving 16 lines of 4 multiple choices each, pre-stored by optical sensors programming the thing with a correct paper then, and slide each respondents paper with clocking dot by each line for 16 clocking dots to make thing step through it's memory comparing using TTL chips and give correct or incorrect answers) chips lashed up with magnet wires each wires about 2 inches between 4 boards. Barely worked and noisy.

If I had thought this through by designing properly, this would worked better but that was very valuable experience.

Cheers,

Reply 14 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-26, 21:01:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-06-26, 20:43:

In other words, the ground now have more resistance losses and now vibrates the VRM and appears on the VRM's output. This is biggest reason the datasheet *always* specify shortest or massive ground and equally massive power planes. Remember less voltage coupled with less resistance in sink devices means more massive the current transients are. That's nature of ohm law.

Cheers,

ah, good point, I’ve delt with that in solar design. Makes total sense. Good points. Thanks!

Reply 15 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Latest calamitylime versions

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Beta)

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Beta)

file.php?id=140666&mode=view

file.php?id=142912&mode=view

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A nice project by ChrisK Switching regulator module as replacement for hot linear regulators (mainly used on PCI VGA cards)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-