VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 68, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

Well, my attempt to mod the *.inf files has failed. I couldn't find anyplace within the files that would differentiate between an OEM and retail version of the card. Whatever mechanism the installer media uses to identify hardware goes beyond the *.inf files. I'm sorry I couldn't help. Maybe somebody with more experience than me can jump in here and lend a hand.

Yeah. I recently discovered a CTcomp.exe which modifies the setup files, still with no luck. It wont detect my card on Win98SE. SB0358, damn you! 😉

Reply 61 of 68, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently had the same issue while building one of my Win98/XP dual boot retro gaming PC's with a Dell SB Audigy2 ZS. I had to use a different PCI slot and it started working and recognized it just fine after that. The last/bottom PCI slot on my Abit NF7-S V2.0 worked for me, whereas none of the other PCI slots would. (the other PCI slots function as expected with other PCI cards)

I used the driver in this package: SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0010.exe under XP, and used the original installation media for Win98 with the VXD driver.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 62 of 68, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

I recently had the same issue while building one of my Win98/XP dual boot retro gaming PC's with a Dell SB Audigy2 ZS. I had to use a different PCI slot and it started working and recognized it just fine after that. The last/bottom PCI slot on my Abit NF7-S V2.0 worked for me, whereas none of the other PCI slots would. (the other PCI slots function as expected with other PCI cards)

I used the driver in this package: SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0010.exe under XP, and used the original installation media for Win98 with the VXD driver.

I achieved success installing SB0358 Audigy 2 ZS (Dell OEM), on Win98SE and official VXD Drivers with EAX doing other things:
1- I went to AUDIO/DRIVERS/VXD and decompressed VXD.cab on the same folder, so all files are in VXD folder.
2- Then forced the installation going to Device Manager and manually selecting the INF.
3- Card got installed, got sound, but no EAX and of course no applications.
4- Then went to AUDIO/DRIVERS and run CTZAPXX and it let me choose VXD or WDM drivers, so I clickd VXD and success, card got EAX and got properly installed.
5- Installed manually EaxCon-Diagnose-CTEq and some more apps.
6- Success! Couldnt be happier!

Last edited by matcarfer on 2020-03-31, 02:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 68, by jerry507

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread helped lead to my eventual success struggling against these Dell Audigy 2 ZS cards, but I had to make a small modification to the procedure matcarfer gave above. When I performed his second step (forcing the installation of the drivers through Device Manager) I had two choices from the .inf files extracted from VXD.cab: "Emu10kx.inf" and "SB16.inf". Initially I tried "Emu10kx.inf" and this did get sound working, but no EAX. Also when I tried to run CTZAPXX from step 4 it ONLY allowed me to select the WDM drivers.

My solution was installing the "SB16.inf" drivers, which are SB16 emulation drivers. When I did that and proceeded to step 4 I was given the VXD option. After a bit of waiting and a restart my Audigy 2 ZS worked including EAX.

Another small note. I was able to install most of the applications using the setup.exe programs in the individual dirs (like Audio/EaxCon), but a few eluded me including the Diagnose app.

I used this driver CD: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=5 … menustate=43,36.

Reply 64 of 68, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jerry507 wrote on 2020-03-08, 02:10:
This thread helped lead to my eventual success struggling against these Dell Audigy 2 ZS cards, but I had to make a small modifi […]
Show full quote

This thread helped lead to my eventual success struggling against these Dell Audigy 2 ZS cards, but I had to make a small modification to the procedure matcarfer gave above. When I performed his second step (forcing the installation of the drivers through Device Manager) I had two choices from the .inf files extracted from VXD.cab: "Emu10kx.inf" and "SB16.inf". Initially I tried "Emu10kx.inf" and this did get sound working, but no EAX. Also when I tried to run CTZAPXX from step 4 it ONLY allowed me to select the WDM drivers.

My solution was installing the "SB16.inf" drivers, which are SB16 emulation drivers. When I did that and proceeded to step 4 I was given the VXD option. After a bit of waiting and a restart my Audigy 2 ZS worked including EAX.

Another small note. I was able to install most of the applications using the setup.exe programs in the individual dirs (like Audio/EaxCon), but a few eluded me including the Diagnose app.

I used this driver CD: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=5 … menustate=43,36.

Ok great for sharing! Will re-install my machine next days and will try to cover your method. Will post a detailed guide again.

Reply 65 of 68, by alifetolive123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matcarfer wrote on 2020-03-31, 02:21:
This thread helped lead to my eventual success struggling against these Dell Audigy 2 ZS cards, but I had to make a small modifi […]
Show full quote

Ok great for sharing! Will re-install my machine next days and will try to cover your method. Will post a detailed guide again.

Can you post a detailed guide? Please show me one by one step to install SB Audigy 2ZS official driver for Dell Audigy 2ZS Card on XP
Sorry for my english and Thank you you guys for this useful thread.

Reply 66 of 68, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also when I tried to run CTZAPXX from step 4 it ONLY allowed me to select the WDM drivers.

The cab file in the VXD folder needs to be extracted into that same folder for the option to show up.

I always install my Audigy 2 that way, so I don't have to run the bloated setup from the CD that always installs some registration tool I don't want.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 67 of 68, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This card sometimes tends to lose hardware ID. To avoid further problems, attach a heatsink to its main chip, as it also tends to overheat in DirectSound 3D.

Reply 68 of 68, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-04, 00:06:

To avoid further problems, attach a heatsink to its main chip, as it also tends to overheat in DirectSound 3D.

Are you sure it's not just your setup? I have no overheating problems with my Audigy 2 ZS.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"